Anyone come across the 10 kg total food limit at border in Norway? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Anyone come across the 10 kg total food limit at border in Norway? It seems that it's not just Alcohol that's limited? Do they search motorhomes?
Worried now as we plan taking a lot with us, especially dried stuff for expeditions in kayaks out on the water.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
When we went we were "stacked to the gunnels". Enough tea, coffee, breakfast ceral, fridge full of fresh foor, freezer full. We also had fresh vegetables, wine , whisky, vodka and beer. They did not seem particularly bothered about what we may have had in the van. In fact I had to tell them we had the dog and show them the paperwork for her. It may well be that we came off the ferry at Kristiansand and there was a large queue of traffic behind. Loads of motorhomes were on the ferry from denmark. We were going to be in Norway for a total of about 9 weeks so we tried to take as much as we could including 48 litres of UHT milk.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We crossed on R61 north of Charlottenberg in 2018 and we too had to tell them we had a dog, well loaded with food to but we were waved through. In fact as we moved away the guy came out the control building waving at us but only to tell us the battery locker was open.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A couple of times through border control...been asked about Alcohol.
Guard...."Do you have Alcohol "

Me..."Yes I do"

Guard..."How much"

Me..."Sufficient for my holiday"

Nothing more asked...

Passing from northern Sweden into Norway.. jumartoo had filled her favourite... won't find it here places....very true....the weather was so bad...no Guard was bothered on that occasion to step outside... therefore we proceeded, with Smug facial expressions...
Love Norway...great for Motorhoming...,😀😃👍🥳

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On the couple of occasions we've been nobody asked anything, just waved us through. when we saw a border post!

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about carrying huge amounts of food. In reality Norway is only very slightly more than the UK, especially if you look out for the cheaper chains, and overall we didn't notice our food spend being any more than usual. The only exception was dog food, we stocked up on his favourite although he'll eat anything if he's hungry enough!

Doesn't apply to alcohol however which is eye-wateringly expensive. Restaurants also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've come across the food limit thing in Norway too. It's not just alcohol they're keeping an eye on; there are restrictions on other goodies as well. And about motorhomes, yeah, they might give them a once-over if they think something's up.

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Where we crossed the border there was no one there so we stopped the van and walked back to the border post to check we had actually entered Norway ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
When we went we were "stacked to the gunnels". Enough tea, coffee, breakfast ceral, fridge full of fresh foor, freezer full. We also had fresh vegetables, wine , whisky, vodka and beer. They did not seem particularly bothered about what we may have had in the van. In fact I had to tell them we had the dog and show them the paperwork for her. It may well be that we came off the ferry at Kristiansand and there was a large queue of traffic behind. Loads of motorhomes were on the ferry from denmark. We were going to be in Norway for a total of about 9 weeks so we tried to take as much as we could including 48 litres of UHT milk.
Wow, that is a lot of stuff. I'm trying to get as much in as possible too! When did you go?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
I've come across the food limit thing in Norway too. It's not just alcohol they're keeping an eye on; there are restrictions on other goodies as well. And about motorhomes, yeah, they might give them a once-over if they think something's up.
Well i hope I'm not one of them!😬

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
I find that quite astonishing. But i actually noticed today in Tesco that by best before date on Matheson 's smoked sausage is stamped 'Not for EU'. Never seen that before! It made me think!

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Wow, that is a lot of stuff. I'm trying to get as much in as possible too! When did you go?
We left UK mid June and crossed via ferry, Denmark to Kristiansand end of June. Returned to Denmark early August. As a side note the Norwegians were quick to tell us that last year was their best Summer for 40 years!!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
I find that quite astonishing. But i actually noticed today in Tesco that by best before date on Matheson 's smoked sausage is stamped 'Not for EU'. Never seen that before! It made me think!
Is that for the dog?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Same as going to Europe, can’t take this , can’t take that, Would gives a F***!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Remember that Norway is Schengen for passport control etc., but is not EU, so EU food and agricultural rules do not automatically apply, although Norway may have adopted some of them.

Also remember that UK and Norway has a very good relationship, partly based on WWII, but also inside NATO, where Norway and UK are responsible for the northern sector of NATO frontiers. This may change with Sweden and Finland's accession to NATO.

Taking these points into consideration I doubt whether Norwegian border controls are likely to give British passport holders a hard time, unless they are taking in excessive amounts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
This morning we were redirected to a testing area, a truck and 3 cars too.
They had a weighbridge and a brake tester.
They also had a very large screen with our vehicles details displayed, could have been linked to the OresundPAY or Ferry Pay.
Anyway we weighed in at 3680kg and he requested our V5 which confirmed the gross weight at 3700kg, happy days.
We had full tanks of diesel and water on board.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
This morning we were redirected to a testing area, a truck and 3 cars too.
They had a weighbridge and a brake tester.
They also had a very large screen with our vehicles details displayed, could have been linked to the OresundPAY or Ferry Pay.
Anyway we weighed in at 3680kg and he requested our V5 which confirmed the gross weight at 3700kg, happy days.
We had full tanks of diesel and water on board.
I’d have lost 20kg in relief-all of it brown. 🙂

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Been to Norway 4 times, generally via Kristiansund and never been checked. Did always bring a lot of food and some alcohol with us. I think if they thought you were a regular smugger it might be different. Certainly quite a lot of Norwegians go over to Denmark to get alcohol, whether it's for personal consumption I couldn't say.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Our experience of food pricing in town in the Fjords (off a cruise) where tehre was one shop ( a co-op) and nothing else nearby was it was very very expensive in that area (Skolden) by our standards - and according to the locals was it was horrendously expensive by theirs too -> around triple UK pricing for normal staples as a general rule. I mention it as there were PLENTY of motorhomes on the fjord area staying at both aires and campsites in surrounds. We commented at time that when we bring the motorhome (as we were checking out prices of staples like pasta) we should bring all we could with us, and not plan on buying in Norway apart from occasional meal out -> as the prices frankly made it silly when compared with countrys on route like Denmark.

I would highly recceomend brining all you can in with you if you planning on going around the fjords at least. It wasn't really any cheaper in Bergen either and yes, we did go to a local's food shop as we asked to to get sweets for the familys kids.

It's notable our Norweigan friends always take copius alcohol back with them from UK and EU and that is even more ridolcous than food.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Been to Norway 4 times, generally via Kristiansund and never been checked. Did always bring a lot of food and some alcohol with us. I think if they thought you were a regular smugger it might be different. Certainly quite a lot of Norwegians go over to Denmark to get alcohol, whether it's for personal consumption I couldn't say.
I wish we could get in there, it would save a lot of mileage. :giggle: (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back