Anybody into 3d printing??? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I am looking to buy my first 3d printer, once I get to grips with the system I want to have the leeway to be able to print big!!

For a first machine I have been looking at the cheaper Chinese examples, including this one

Any thoughts ???

SmartSelect_20190613-074941_Samsung Internet.jpg

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry, no link or picture showing in your post

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Don't buy the filament version, go for the resin one, it has a much better finish. My son has a small one that can print up to 10cm square or thereabouts. The filament ones have to be finished by hand to smooth out all the tiny tiny ridges of the layers but the resin ones print bottom up and rise out of the liquid resin bath so don't have any ridges. His is also made by Anycube.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Don't buy the filament version, go for the resin one, it has a much better finish. My son has a small one that can print up to 10cm square or thereabouts. The filament ones have to be finished by hand to smooth out all the tiny tiny ridges of the layers but the resin ones print bottom up and rise out of the liquid resin bath so don't have any ridges. His is also made by Anycube.
thanks I will have a look at that type (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I’m sure I got a link saying Aldi had one in online last week. Might be worth checking out .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am looking to buy my first 3d printer, once I get to grips with the system I want to have the leeway to be able to print big!!

For a first machine I have been looking at the cheaper Chinese examples, including this one

Any thoughts ???

View attachment 310113
How much !!!! Greedy sods !!
Those ones are £150 to £225 on banggood.com

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
How much !!!! Greedy sods !!
Those ones are £150 to £225 on banggood.com
£431 there (y)
I looked at the print results of the cheaper ones, a lot of rubbing down of the print deposits was required on most. The chiron appears smoother :smiley:

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
It would be handy to be able to print broken plastic bits in the moho, but then I'm thinking you would need a 3d scanner to scan a 'good one' to print a replacement, then it all starts getting a bit involved and expensive.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It would be handy to be able to print broken plastic bits in the moho, but then I'm thinking you would need a 3d scanner to scan a 'good one' to print a replacement, then it all starts getting a bit involved and expensive.
That what has stopped me investing in one... Never could get my head around 3d plotting

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

And this is the issue, it can print anything but you have to get the file for it first. That's the hard bit.

Been working with 3d printing on and off since 2001. Validating the material is the bit that gets expensive too, stuff we have been doing in Ti needs a £1m Xray machine to check it for holes.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I have a 3d scanner built into a wacom tablet :)

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Having looked at that resin system I dont think its going to work with flexi plastics, which is what I want to work with initially.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

I've got an older Anycubic (i3 Mega) and have been pleased with it for the last year and a half. I don't spend lots of time printing, so haven't really found the limitations of the one I bought yet. The only issue I've had was with the 'wood' material, which gummed up the extruder nozzle. These are cheap to replace and I found out subsequently that I should have used one with a bigger diameter for the wood material. I haven't tried flexible materials but there is an official modification to the extruder on my unit which should make it work better with such stuff.

I read the review. One comment I would make is that it's a very big printer. Mine has an operating volume of 50% of each of those dimensions. If you don't have something in mind to print at that size, it's going to take up an awful lot of desk/workshop space. If you do want to use all that volume, the other thing you will need is lots of time/patience. Printing takes a long time and slowing some of the operations down helps with final quality. I read about various models catching fire if something goes wrong, so never leave mine running overnight. The other thing to note is that it is helpful to have a decent number of other users of the same machine, to fine tune the slicing software, suggest hardware modifications, etc.

Now someone above has mentioned that resin printers are affordable, I want one!

Tony

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I got an early Printrbot a few years ago. It ended up being a great hobby of trying to print and buy new parts to make it accurate and reliable enough to make anything useful. Still fun.

I then upgraded to a Prusa MK2 (kit). Straight from the first print it was better than my Printrbot. It's rare that I get a failure now. And the MK3 is supposed to be even better.

3d printers can do lots of stuff. What do you want to use it for? If it's small (<100mm cube) artsy stuff, then a resin printer might be the way to go. If it's practical larger stuff then filament deposition is still the way to go. Lots of people only ever print stuff they find on Thingiverse.com . I design things in Fusion360, FreeCAD and OpenSCAD. I've uploaded a few of them:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ours will nominally print a 20 cm cube but it would take a long time and a lot of material!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok, with many who know the ropes, I would love a blow by blow 'how to get started' article.
Everything I look at goes on about the machine..
I am more interested in what goes on BEFORE you get to that stage..
i.e. exactly HOW do you get the file that tells the machine what to print.

lots of references to various cad programs ( which never fail to defeat me ) and scanning often mentioned, but for the total novice no nut and bolt details

I am sure I am not alone with this.. I would love to get a printer as I can think of an awful lot of uses, but am daunted by the prospect of lobbing out the loot and ending up with a nice ornament, unable to make any use of it

Bob Morrison

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 130
Exp
5 years
This is a timely thread as I too have just considered getting started in 3d printing which was triggered by the Aldi offering which is now £250 - down £50 on last year. I think it's something my grandchildren will enjoy too.
Found lots of info on YouTube - one of the most useful called "13 things I wish I knew when I started" or something like that!
Lots of reviews on there too, which has got me seriously considering one of the various "Creality" models or one of the "Prusa" offerings along with "Cura" slicer software which creates the coordinates for each layer or slice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back