Any ideas to clean my motorhomes surface? (2 Viewers)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I have a Chausson Welcome 85 , registered in 2008 , so getting on a little now.
The last couple of years I have noticed the finish on the main outer surfaces starting to discolour and get slightly dirty looking.
Viewed from afar it doesn't look too bad but close up there are many micro cracks in the surface and a grey 'ground in dirt like' appearance.
I have tried normal polish like super resin polish for cars , no real effect.
I have tried mild oxalic acid like the Silky product in the pictures , no real effect. (I used to own a fibreglass boat and this and similar products worked well on waterline stains etc.)
I have also tried the fibreglass restorer pictured, this does work but very very slowly. I would estimate days of polishing with an oscillating power mop.
It's worst at the rear , I've tied picturing it.

Am I missing an easy way or product for this problem. ?
The same or similar polish on my boat worked very well and very quickly. I'm aware the gel coat on a motorhome is much thinner than a boat so maybe I'm being too gentle with it.

I've considered trying my headlamp restoring products on it but this may be too aggressive. ?

TIA :giggle:

IMG_20231103_161914_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231103_162034.jpg
IMG_20231103_162157_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231103_162253_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231103_162253_HDR.jpg IMG_20231103_162014_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Hmm , I was expecting the Silky to work miracles. It does on rust stains from the drain hole in the anchor locker etc. Also along the waterline. Pretty much all boat stain removers contain Oxalic acid).
It hardly did anything on my motorhome.
I wonder if a bleach solution might work 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Hmm , I was expecting the Silky to work miracles. It does on rust stains from the drain hole in the anchor locker etc. Also along the waterline. Pretty much all boat stain removers contain Oxalic acid).
It hardly did anything on my motorhome.
I wonder if a bleach solution might work 🤔
My 2004 Autocruise was the same. Tried all the go-to recommendations, eventually used bleach, which worked. Waxed it the hard way, then regularly washed with with wax-on car wash solution. That's lasted about 9 months, it's just starting to show up again, not too bad but will need fixing again next spring.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
My 2004 Autocruise was the same. Tried all the go-to recommendations, eventually used bleach, which worked. Waxed it the hard way, then regularly washed with with wax-on car wash solution. That's lasted about 9 months, it's just starting to show up again, not too bad but will need fixing again next spring.
Could I ask please what dilution of bleach you used?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I had the same problem with my Frankia, I think the gel coat is much softer on motorhomes compared to boats , I’ve had both. In your first picture you can see how much has been polished away by the step under the UK badge, I noticed this when I replaced my Ecosse badge. Over the years I must have polished off a few thou’s of gel coat as it ended up no longer holding a shine.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have a funster trader that mixes his own blend of GRP cleaner & polish, the results of his latest blend have been the best ever apparently. Many funsters placed orders for the new products but there was a back log as the product was so new at the time. I think the Funster is jezport if not apologies, but someone will put me right. Its certainly worth a punt as it was developed for all GRP MH surfaces and results looked impressive.
I cannot vouch personally as I haven't needed it as yet, others have so hopefully they will endorse the product soon.
LES

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
We have a funster trader that mixes his own blend of GRP cleaner & polish, the results of his latest blend have been the best ever apparently. Many funsters placed orders for the new products but there was a back log as the product was so new at the time. I think the Funster is jezport if not apologies, but someone will put me right. Its certainly worth a punt as it was developed for all GRP MH surfaces and results looked impressive.
I cannot vouch personally as I haven't needed it as yet, others have so hopefully they will endorse the product soon.
LES
It’s shown in OP 3rd photo 👍

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
It’s shown in OP 3rd photo 👍
Yes you are right , if I remember correctly the stuff I have was from jezzport.
As I mentioned it does work but very very slowly.
With a similar polish I did the complete hill of my 24' boat in a day with a power reciprocating polisher.
One could I suppose use a rotary polisher but then one would have to be very careful of burning and swirl marking , plus going right through the gel coat.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes you are right , if I remember correctly the stuff I have was from jezzport.
As I mentioned it does work but very very slowly.
With a similar polish I did the complete hill of my 24' boat in a day with a power reciprocating polisher.
One could I suppose use a rotary polisher but then one would have to be very careful of burning and swirl marking , plus going right through the gel coat.
There are 3 strengths in this polish. The standard finishing polish will cut very slowly.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I've tracked down the eBay store and ordered some of the most abrasive restorer.
I will then use the finishing stuff afterwards.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I used to use Y10 on the waterline on my boat. It was always a bit scary how the colour changed. Makes you wonder what it did to the gelcoat chemistry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back