Any advice for faults to look out for on new Globecar Summit Shine? (1 Viewer)

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi
We are hoping to pick up a new Summit Shine 540 from Highbridge soon. I just wanted to ask existing owners if they encountered any problems or faults on new vans that we should be on the lookout for. We live nearly 300 miles away so would love to avoid return trips to fix minor faults if possible!
Thanks
Ian

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Stay local first night and take it back if anything don't work.
They can tell you what you failed to comprehend at the handover or fix it if it is actually a fault.

OP
OP
I
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi Berni
Yes, we plan to do that. We will also get a look at it before they put it through their PDI, so we hope to spot most faults then.
Ian

OP
OP
I
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi Mitzimad
Thanks for the tip, we will do that!
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

NOH

Mar 25, 2023
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Club Joker
Exp
Since 2011
No problems to report Ian, we bought ours from Highbridge too. We have been away four times since we took delivery in May. Get yourself a folding stool for getting into the bed, it’s a bit too high to just hop into and the step on the panel is (for us) in the wrong place.

OP
OP
I
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi NOH
Thanks for the tip, I think I should be OK at 6ft 2", but my wife at 5ft 1" will likely need a boost!
Ian

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Can you come to an agreement with them that if you find any warranty issues that you can use someone closer to you…?😎

OP
OP
I
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Can you come to an agreement with them that if you find any warranty issues that you can use someone closer to you…?😎
Hi Smiffy
I've asked about that, but got fairly non commital answers along the lines that smc at newark might do it (who are a lot closer), or maybe someone else could do it. Our regular habitation service guy also told us that warranty rates that manufacturers pay for repairs can be low, and some jobs might not be worth doing for anyone not committed to doing it by being the original dealer.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi Smiffy
I've asked about that, but got fairly non commital answers along the lines that smc at newark might do it (who are a lot closer), or maybe someone else could do it. Our regular habitation service guy also told us that warranty rates that manufacturers pay for repairs can be low, and some jobs might not be worth doing for anyone not committed to doing it by being the original dealer.

Hopefully nothing will go wrong and if it’s a small problem you maybe able to fix yourself, staying on a site close by for a few days is good practice then you can see if anything pops up…

Look on the bright side and have a good exciting time, I can’t recall hearing about that particular dealers failings so that must be good start…

Have fun..😎

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Are you taking out the extended Fiat warranty?

I understand you only have 14 days to do it.

OP
OP
I
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi CAB96
This is the first I have heard of an extended fiat warranty, would you recommend it?
Ian

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Smiffy
Might be worth giving SMC a ring to enquire. When we had an Autosleeper van it had a Fiat recall (van bought from Derby Motorhomes) done at SMC and they commented services due soon and did we want to book it in. I asked then about warranty work if necessary, and they said they had no problem doing it. Fortunately there was none. Our current Summit Prime came from them as new in 2021. They have always been very helpful. A different van to yours, but our warranty problems have been a sticky pump (replaced with a higher spec one), the sky lite over the cab, which we knew might be a problem with noise (Possle retro fix, fixed) and a cupboard problem which they picked up on recent service and are awaiting a response from Possle.

OP
OP
I
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi hja
Thanks for that, encouraging re smc. We looked at the vans they had coming in but all were automatics and we wanted a manual. What was the cupboard problem you had?
Ian

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi CAB96
This is the first I have heard of an extended fiat warranty, would you recommend it?
Ian
Yes if you are buying new. I have heard many dealers do not inform customers and you have 14 days only to buy it.
In my case I imported a LHD PVC and used Adams Morey in Portsmouth to change the lights etc. They sorted the extended warranty and I believe have done so for a few Funsters. The manager is Simon Potter.
The extra warranty period is 3 years so 5 in all. I was confident we would keep the van for that long and we felt it gave us peace of mind.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yes if you are buying new. I have heard many dealers do not inform customers and you have 14 days only to buy it.
In my case I imported a LHD PVC and used Adams Morey in Portsmouth to change the lights etc. They sorted the extended warranty and I believe have done so for a few Funsters. The manager is Simon Potter.
The extra warranty period is 3 years so 5 in all. I was confident we would keep the van for that long and we felt it gave us peace of mind.
Sadly we were not informed about it by our dealer, nor was there any paperwork to that effect, we only found out about it on here, too late.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You get the full Fiat Camper Assist for 5 years with the extended Fiat warranty so you can offset the cost of 3 years recovery against the price. Only Fiat Professional garages can arrange the extended warranty so dealers who aren’t also Fiat Professional garages tend to forget to mention it, no commission for them. They might even try to flog you one of the poor insurance warranties instead. If you want a warranty get the proper Fiat one.

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Hi CAB96
Ian
The dealers don't get payment for recommending the warranty hence a lot don't tell anyone. You have to register for the extended warranty within 14 days of registration. I used Adams Morley Limited down in Portsmouth Tel 02392691122 when I bought mine in 2019 and it was £866 to get 3 years Pan Europeon Warranty at the end of the Fiat 2 year warranty giving 5 years total or 60,000 miles. Simple process done over phone and all documentation e mailed to me.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Hi hja
Thanks for that, encouraging re smc. We looked at the vans they had coming in but all were automatics and we wanted a manual. What was the cupboard problem you had?
Ian
We have top cupboards along the offside. The floor of the cupboard has bowed such that the catch of one door doesn’t always catch.I.e. The floor is too low for the catch if you see what I mean. Difficult to explain.

OP
OP
I
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi All
Just thought I'd tidy this post up.
First, thanks for all the responses.
After trying a couple of Fiat Professional garages near us and hitting brick walls we did use Adams Morley to buy the extended warranty. Excellent service from them by phone email and docs by post.
We took the van back each of the first 3 days! Although minor stuff:
After a shower we found water in the toilet cassette compartment below. Due to not sealing the toilet into the cubicle and water travelling behind the shower swing door.
Got them to fit a catch to hold the hob glass in the upright position. The hinge wasn't strong enough to hold it up safely, it was nearly flopping down with the wind when the side door was open.
Vibration at night from the fridge. Found to be copper compressor pipe just touching something.
They forgot to give us the jack and tool kit.
Aftersales were all very helpful, especially Christian.
One thing I am still having hassle with is the Scorpion tracker giving false alarm calls, but that's a fight with Scorpion....

PaulHenry

Free Member
Mar 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Might be worth giving SMC a ring to enquire. When we had an Autosleeper van it had a Fiat recall (van bought from Derby Motorhomes) done at SMC and they commented services due soon and did we want to book it in. I asked then about warranty work if necessary, and they said they had no problem doing it. Fortunately there was none. Our current Summit Prime came from them as new in 2021. They have always been very helpful. A different van to yours, but our warranty problems have been a sticky pump (replaced with a higher spec one), the sky lite over the cab, which we knew might be a problem with noise (Possle retro fix, fixed) and a cupboard problem which they picked up on recent service and are awaiting a response from Possle.
Hi Ian, just reading through the Summit Prime comments in here and would be grateful if you could help me? I am looking at buying a Summit Prime in the next few weeks from SMC and was interested that you made not of the Sky Roof and the Possle fix, as I understand it they added extra latches to it? Th eone I am looking at appears to have latches in the sides and possible one at the top (I need to check). The question is, is that what the Possle fix did in your's and would you rather be with or without the Sky roof now after a few years of ownership?

OP
OP
I
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Hi
I actually bought a Summit Shine 540 which does not have the sky roof. It was hja who had thw Prime. Another user forum site you can get information from is posslform.de. There is a section on the Summit vans. Although it's in German you can get Google to translate it automatically. Issues we have had are water ingress due to a badly fitted skylight in the bathroom, vibration from the fridge, water from shower getting into the toilet cassette area due to lack of sealant around the toilet. But overall we are very happy with it. One thing is that the leisure battery will only last one or two nights off hookup because of the fridge. We and others have had solar panels and a lithium leisure battery fitted. I wouldn't get that done by the dealer. Hope this helps

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Video the handover briefing, you won’t remember everything.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Yes our retro fit to the sunroof was additional catches. Much better than it was, but still some wind noise in particular directions, in certain winds and at certain speeds - all a bit variable. Would we have the sunroof again? What I would really like is a fixed non opening sun roof. We have never opened it for use - enough ventilation in other ways - not least the side door with the insect net across. But we do like the amount of light it gives. We do like the van, find it really easy to live in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back