Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I make no claim to scientific or statistical rigour but I don’t understand the gender and cultural differences in hand-washing after toilet visits here in France.

When doing the washing up over the last week, the washing up area is right next to the toilets. I’ve had no option but to see people visiting the toilets and was struck by how infrequently men wash their hands after using the toilet. Fewer than 1 in 10 men made even a token effort to wash their hands while it was nearly 50% for women who also made more of an effort when washing theirs.

Sometimes the sounds emanating from the cubicles resembled an animal being slaughtered or someone trying to pass a house brick. But afterwards, they emerge often red-faced and sweating, ignore the available wash-hand basins and head back to their mohomes, caravans or tents. When the men do trouble the wash-hand basins, it generally amounts to a sprinkle of water over the paws, and then a shake of the hands. That’s it. The women who bother to wash their hands at least rub their hands after wetting them and rinse off.

Of course, they may wash their hands with soap when back at their mohomes etc but I doubt it. I simply don’t understand why so few men wash their hands after the toilet. And even among the women, only half of them troubled to do so. When we’ve stayed in Portugal and Spain over the winter, we’ve encountered outbreaks of stomach upsets and even vomiting and I can’t but wonder whether there isn’t a causal relationship between these outbreaks and poor toilet hygiene. I was even prepared to pay for a soap dispenser to be left at the nearest wash handbasin to the bogs but given the low use of the basin, I didn’t bother.

Anyway, enough. It’s off my chest. I’m going to wash my hands and have a glass of rosé and some chevre flavoured crisps. Hey ho.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I make no claim to scientific or statistical rigour but I don’t understand the gender and cultural differences in hand-washing after toilet visits here in France.

When doing the washing up over the last week, the washing up area is right next to the toilets. I’ve had no option but to see people visiting the toilets and was struck by how infrequently men wash their hands after using the toilet. Fewer than 1 in 10 men made even a token effort to wash their hands while it was nearly 50% for women who also made more of an effort when washing theirs.

Sometimes the sounds emanating from the cubicles resembled an animal being slaughtered or someone trying to pass a house brick. But afterwards, they emerge often red-faced and sweating, ignore the available wash-hand basins and head back to their mohomes, caravans or tents. When the men do trouble the wash-hand basins, it generally amounts to a sprinkle of water over the paws, and then a shake of the hands. That’s it. The women who bother to wash their hands at least rub their hands after wetting them and rinse off.

Of course, they may wash their hands with soap when back at their mohomes etc but I doubt it. I simply don’t understand why so few men wash their hands after the toilet. And even among the women, only half of them troubled to do so. When we’ve stayed in Portugal and Spain over the winter, we’ve encountered outbreaks of stomach upsets and even vomiting and I can’t but wonder whether there isn’t a causal relationship between these outbreaks and poor toilet hygiene. I was even prepared to pay for a soap dispenser to be left at the nearest wash handbasin to the bogs but given the low use of the basin, I didn’t bother.

Anyway, enough. It’s off my chest. I’m going to wash my hands and have a glass of rosé and some chevre flavoured crisps. Hey ho.
Chèvre :sick:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Fewer than 1 in 10 men made even a token effort to wash their hands
For that very reason I reckon opening the toilet block door after washing my hands before exiting the building poses the greatest risk of picking up germs from the door handle, but I take steps to avoid that. (No, by 'taking steps' I don't mean by using a stepladder to climb out through a window. :rolleyes:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back