Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Got a message pop up the other day saying nationwide fraud protection team, we have a suspicions payment on hold for £199, please reply no if it's not yours.
I thought someone wants to know if I have a nationwide account, I answered no and said to the wife I will get a phone call soon.
Sure enough the phone rings later and it's nationwide fraud protection team, I had a bit of fun acting deaf and stupid before they hung up on me, very rude, never said goodbye. :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got a load of genuine alerts the other day by text, email and in app. Hubby's debit card had been used for a purchase with an online jewellery store. The bank refused the transaction and got in touch to see if it was a scam transaction which it was.

The concerning thing is that hubby only used his debit card accidentally to buy some shopping in Asda in May (he meant to use his credit card) and for a Lebara sim recurring payment, so we don't know which they got the details from. They're issuing a new card so it's a good job it's not one we're using whilst on holiday!

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
I got a similar text message last week when at the far end of Wastwater with virtually no signal. Drove 15 miles to civilisation and phoned my bank. It seems someone in Orlando, Florida had attempted to make 8 purchases of £9.49 from Apple.com using my card. Card therefore cancelled immediately I confirmed it definitely wasn’t me. I can only think it was some sort of random number generator?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had the N'wide one yesterday but my Gmail software put it straight in my Spam folder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I got a similar text message last week when at the far end of Wastwater with virtually no signal. Drove 15 miles to civilisation and phoned my bank. It seems someone in Orlando, Florida had attempted to make 8 purchases of £9.49 from Apple.com using my card. Card therefore cancelled immediately I confirmed it definitely wasn’t me. I can only think it was some sort of random number generator

same here

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I regularly get texts from "couriers" along the lines of " sorry we missed you, click link to rearrange" which I always ignore, as my spam filter usually sends to my spam box.

However last week I got a much longer version, which nearly sucked me in. I was expecting a parcel and was worried that when I ordered, initially my Post Code didn't enter correctly.
Then I got this:

Screenshot_20240530-122640.png

I did click the link, and filled in my correct address, but then cancelled it when they asked for my card details to take a 17p charge.

Later in the day I got a text from the seller saying Yodel were delivering my parcel.

A lucky escape. :giggle:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I regularly get texts from "couriers" along the lines of " sorry we missed you, click link to rearrange" which I always ignore, as my spam filter usually sends to my spam box.

However last week I got a much longer version, which nearly sucked me in. I was expecting a parcel and was worried that when I ordered, initially my Post Code didn't enter correctly.
Then I got this:

View attachment 905668

I did click the link, and filled in my correct address, but then cancelled it when they asked for my card details to take a 17p charge.

Later in the day I got a text from the seller saying Yodel were delivering my parcel.

Think the date format in last paragraph suspicious.... never seen a date written like that before..👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Then I got this:

View attachment 905668

The URL is a dead giveaway, it's masked behind a tinyURL which is a service you can use for simplyfing long addresses.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I get the evri ones regularly, I always ignore them. One reason is it's almost impossible to contact evri, the lose many parcels so it's very unlikely they would bother to phone me and if the label had come off the package how would they know who to call?

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I just press reply on all dodgy emails with the text F##K OFF
But all you have achieved by replying is confirming to the spammer that this is an active email address.

In fact, the very act of just opening the spam email will likely confirm to the spammer that your email is active if they have embedded a tracking pixel in their email.

You're just inviting more spam.

Only one solution - Ignore and delete any suspicious emails.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Think the date format in last paragraph suspicious.... never seen a date written like that before..👍
The URL is a dead giveaway, it's masked behind a tinyURL which is a service you can use for simplyfing long addresses.

All the clues were there, including the dodgy grammar but I was distracted by the fact that I was expecting a delivery.

It's so easy to drop one's guard, isn't it?

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
YYYYMMDD is the ISO8601 it is used/acceptable in many countries, the UK being one, especially in computing and government documents.
Presuming scam messages are automated then unsurprising it is using ISO8601.
I used YYYYMMDD in all my spreadsheets, etc because I said the company was ISO compliant but really because my manager hated it.

Not commonly used outside those areas though that may change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back