Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Woke up to another flat tyre. No spare available now after the debacle a month ago.

We're at la Mongie just below le Tourmalet -the nearest pneu places are at Tarbes, 45km and an hour's drive away.

Our breakdown cover is limited to Spain.

Looks like I'll need to organise recovery from here to there.

Any advice on how I might go about this ?

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Not officially legal in the UK though.
Must be repaired from the inside with a mushroom patch.
The emergency repair kits come as standard in most, not to say all, new motor vehicles these days (unless you pay extra for an emergency spare wheel - smaller than the ones fitted to the car and limited to 50km/h). They work only to fix the repair and get you to a tyre garage and replace the tyre. The tyre fix renders the tyre useless even if you repair the puncture. I have this kit in the van, hoping never to have to use it, but will get me out of a problem if needed.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Postscript.

After two days of hopeless interaction with our insurance company and their agents, at 10 to closing time last night we contact a local (30kms away) deppanage in Bagneres de Bigorre. They arrived with us at La Mongie around 0930 this morning, fitter found a nail in the tyre, extracted it and plugged it within the hour.
€360 which I'll try to claim off our insurance. The broker who arranged the policy for me is horrified by the company's performance and is onside to help with a claim
'OW MUCH!!!
Yous woz robbed!

We found a slow puncture in Croatia last year.
Saturday afternoon just before a Monday bank holiday.

Campsite rung around and found one tyre place still open.
Dashed over there (10kms)
Bloke did the fix, with the boss looking over his shoulder, looking at his watch, rattling the keys.

We were off the ramp double quick time and they literally followed us out of the yard and locked the gates as we left.

Cost €20 to fix the puncture and we gave the fitter €10 for doing a quick job when he should have left the yard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
'OW MUCH!!!
Yous woz robbed!

We found a slow puncture in Croatia last year.
Saturday afternoon just before a Monday bank holiday.

Campsite rung around and found one tyre place still open.
Dashed over there (10kms)
Bloke did the fix, with the boss looking over his shoulder, looking at his watch, rattling the keys.

We were off the ramp double quick time and they literally followed us out of the yard and locked the gates as we left.

Cost €20 to fix the puncture and we gave the fitter €10 for doing a quick job when he should have left the yard.
Well, 70Km round trip, 90mins travelling time and an hour on-site finding and fixing. Would not have cost any more had we been recovered to their depot.

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Another motorhoming experience Nigel...
Cannot remember if you have tubeless tyres on the bike?
We do and of course if we have a thorn or something similar the sealant seals the escape of air..
However....if the hole is larger I carry a small plugging kit in my tool kit...
The point I'm making is and I've often thought, would this work in your situation?
Plugging a tyre isn't rocket science....and have had success on a couple of occasions.
Might you consider this as part of your kit for future travels, did you see the tyre guy carry out this procedure?
I'm all for getting myself out of a pickle if at all possible....but my experience with high speed blowouts have been a big concern to say the least...Happy travels...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Another motorhoming experience Nigel...
Cannot remember if you have tubeless tyres on the bike?
We do and of course if we have a thorn or something similar the sealant seals the escape of air..
However....if the hole is larger I carry a small plugging kit in my tool kit...
The point I'm making is and I've often thought, would this work in your situation?
Plugging a tyre isn't rocket science....and have had success on a couple of occasions.
Might you consider this as part of your kit for future travels, did you see the tyre guy carry out this procedure?
I'm all for getting myself out of a pickle if at all possible....but my experience with high speed blowouts have been a big concern to say the least...Happy travels...
Yes Martin tubeless on bike, and yes I carry, and have used, a plugging kit.
The fitter used an identical looking but much bigger plug, having first worked up a sweat getting the bent nail out. He was a big lad in his prime and he struggled to get the plug in. Doubt that I'd've managed. The one he chose ( and he had many different ones in his kit) was about 4mm dia, so doubled quite a plug. He used some 'gunk' on it that I've not seen in bike kits, whether this was lubricant, or sealant, or both I dunno.

Anyway having replaced the Tyrepal sensor I hung around the car-park we were marooned in, every few minutes I'd drive around long enough for Tyrepal to wake up and confirm the pressure hadn't dropped. And, as it happens, last night we stayed in a campsite a few hundred meters from the deppanage, just in case .......

Cross the Pyrenees again today heading for the Biscay coast, Picos d.E. and Galicia for the rest of the summer ...

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yes Martin tubeless on bike, and yes I carry, and have used, a plugging kit.
The fitter used an identical looking but much bigger plug, having first worked up a sweat getting the bent nail out. He was a big lad in his prime and he struggled to get the plug in. Doubt that I'd've managed. The one he chose ( and he had many different ones in his kit) was about 4mm dia, so doubled quite a plug. He used some 'gunk' on it that I've not seen in bike kits, whether this was lubricant, or sealant, or both I dunno.

Anyway having replaced the Tyrepal sensor I hung around the car-park we were marooned in, every few minutes I'd drive around long enough for Tyrepal to wake up and confirm the pressure hadn't dropped. And, as it happens, last night we stayed in a campsite a few hundred meters from the deppanage, just in case .......

Cross the Pyrenees again today heading for the Biscay coast, Picos d.E. and Galicia for the rest of the summer ...
Take it easy....we are on the border of Asturias and Galicia....trying to decide if this year is quieter than the past, or we are choosing the correct locations....🤔🇪🇦

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
All the way from Manchester, via FueVert, Lourdes...let's hope they're miraculous if I ever need to use them 🤔
IMG_20240718_112230.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back