Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Woke up to another flat tyre. No spare available now after the debacle a month ago.

We're at la Mongie just below le Tourmalet -the nearest pneu places are at Tarbes, 45km and an hour's drive away.

Our breakdown cover is limited to Spain.

Looks like I'll need to organise recovery from here to there.

Any advice on how I might go about this ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Woke up to another flat tyre. No spare available now after the debacle a month ago.

We're at la Mongie just below le Tourmalet -the nearest pneu places are at Tarbes, 45km and an hour's drive away.

Our breakdown cover is limited to Spain.

Looks like I'll need to organise recovery from here to there.

Any advice on how I might go about this ?
Would a mobile tyre fitter be available?

If so, probably cheaper than a recovery vehicle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Good news.

Top tip. Also fix the spare so you're not in a similar situation again
Unfortunately, the spare was used to replace a write-off. Spanish reg vehicle so the tyres on an axle must be identical. I bought 5 tyres 5 years ago ..suspect I'm gonna have to replace the 2 rears when I eventually get to a fitter. At least I'll have a spare for the fronts ..

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
As an aside we contacted Euromaster at Tarbes who advertise themselves as 24/7/365 breakdown operators but they were completely indifferent and eventually said "we don't do camping-cars"
Get your self one of these. I’ve used many times & it’s what the Spanish garages use in my experience or at least they have when fixing my punctures in the past.
EBay. Just search for tyre repair kit.

IMG_0404.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I fix punctures on bikes, not motorroams.
Assumes I can jack it up, get the wheel off and then re-inflate. Would only be confident about the latter.

Two punctures in a month, previous 10 years flat-free.
TPMS installed, all tyres correctly inflated.
If I'd had a tube of gunk I would've given it a whirl. I'll be buying some ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Get your self one of these. I’ve used many times & it’s what the Spanish garages use in my experience or at least they have when fixing my punctures in the past.

View attachment 923359
How many times is many times?

I think I've had less than 5 punctures in 34 years of driving.

But I have to say having looked at that on ebay ....it doesn't fill me with confidence.

That said the 2 recent times I've had tyre go flat it's been down to the valve and not the tyre itself.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I thought everyone carried a 12v pump these days.
I always have, even when m/bike touring.
Maybe some don't have enough space after loading with the essentials: Harrods BBQ, De'Longhi coffee machine, Air fryer, Bread maker, Fray Bentos pies, Lidl's Vin de Gut Rot.............
;)

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I always have, even when m/bike touring.
Maybe some don't have enough space after loading with the essentials: Harrods BBQ, De'Longhi coffee machine, Air fryer, Bread maker Fray Bentos pies, Lidl's Vin de Gut Rot.............
;)
Please bear in mind I'm a newbie and am not familiar with these 'essentials' 😀

Upvote 1

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My 12v Air compressor fits in the door pocket and cost £20 , its 5 years old now and does the job adequately.

My last van I built in a mini compressor and a 10 foot hose but to be honest I used it 3 times in a year . So back to.my cheap simple option .

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, that's fine, but how do you inflate the tyre once fixed?
Once it’s off the vehicle & you have it repaired you take it to a garage & use the air line!
In my case I also carry a small compressor.
My previous van was a tag axel & I kept getting punctures in the rear near side wheel, because I was turning too sharp & catching all the crap that collected in the edge between road & pavement.

Had 4 punctures this way before I caught on.

I’ve also used twice it on my other vehicle, berlingo van, with no problems.

It’s a personal choice & with practice it can be done without taking the wheel off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
After a thread about tyre inflators a few months ago, I bought a Vonhaus portable, which has been amazing! Quick, lightweight, pressure up to at least 5 bar if needed. Thank you whoever recommended it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Postscript.

After two days of hopeless interaction with our insurance company and their agents, at 10 to closing time last night we contact a local (30kms away) deppanage in Bagneres de Bigorre. They arrived with us at La Mongie around 0930 this morning, fitter found a nail in the tyre, extracted it and plugged it within the hour.
€360 which I'll try to claim off our insurance. The broker who arranged the policy for me is horrified by the company's performance and is onside to help with a claim

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Postscript.

After two days of hopeless interaction with our insurance company and their agents, at 10 to closing time last night we contact a local (30kms away) deppanage in Bagneres de Bigorre. They arrived with us at La Mongie around 0930 this morning, fitter found a nail in the tyre, extracted it and plugged it within the hour.
€360 which I'll try to claim off our insurance. The broker who arranged the policy for me is horrified by the company's performance and is onside to help with a claim
€360 to fix a puncture 😱 that's highway robbery. I'd have taken the wheel in a taxi I think .

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

View attachment 923359
Not officially legal in the UK though.
Must be repaired from the inside with a mushroom patch.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold

View attachment 923359
I have used those on Motorcycles they can be excellent , i also have the screw in repair plugs in 4mm and 5mm they also work well .. unless its a rim or a massive split then its new tyre

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Unfortunately, the spare was used to replace a write-off. Spanish reg vehicle so the tyres on an axle must be identical. I bought 5 tyres 5 years ago ..suspect I'm gonna have to replace the 2 rears when I eventually get to a fitter. At least I'll have a spare for the fronts ..
I often change just 1 tyre on my car.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Postscript.

Wow we had a repair in Spain last year cost €27, but we did drive to the ATS depot so I guess some of yours is a call out fee.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back