Another milestone - 3 nights without EHU! (2 Viewers)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Wanted to test my new solar/lithium install in the UK before leaving for Europe.
Stayed in two pubs for one night each, then a C&MC site just to empty everything out and use a proper loo ...

We used the microwave, air fryer and toaster every day, and we left for home this morning with 51% in the battery! We were rather lucky with the weather for the last few days, but even so I was well impressed with that!

Next milestones are - empty my waste water, legally and ethically, at somewhere other than a site we are staying at, and to stop thinking of the van loo as not a proper loo...

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Wanted to test my new solar/lithium install in the UK before leaving for Europe.
Stayed in two pubs for one night each, then a C&MC site just to empty everything out and use a proper loo ...

We used the microwave, air fryer and toaster every day, and we left for home this morning with 51% in the battery! We were rather lucky with the weather for the last few days, but even so I was well impressed with that!

Next milestones are - empty my waste water, legally and ethically, at somewhere other than a site we are staying at, and to stop thinking of the van loo as not a proper loo...
We have done 2 years without ehu apart from our last Spain trip where ehu was free for 1 month of our 10 week stay šŸ‘
Ps, we donā€™t have an air fryer but Denise has a hairdryer šŸ¤£

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've found that I need to stop thinking about the battery as something that has to be full all the time. It's allowed to deplete.

I don't have a huge amount of solar, but even if I did, we often go places and at times of the year where it's not a lot of use anyway. The capacity of lithium means I don't have to worry. It doesn't matter if the battery drops below half after a few days of sitting still. I'll move soon which'll add some back. And probably get to somewhere with a hookup at some point in the next week.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017

We like to be FLTing! Rarely on a paid-for site. Occasionally when need laundrette facilities, or when visiting a major city and using public transport it can seem safer leaving the MoHo on a site.

We too have an effective lithium/solar set-up and can easily go a week off-grid, if we are economical with water. The limiting factor is usually the toilet cassette. We carry a spare in a plastic box in the garage. Again, with care we can manage for 7 nights if unable to dump. In France, Spain and most of Europe we have never had difficulty getting fresh water and dumpage for grey and black wasteā€¦..usually FOC. Regrettably, this is never as easy in most of the UK.

Good luck with developing your off-grid capabilities. You are in a MotorHOME, not a camper-van, and your loo is a proper loo, especially if you get a SOG fitted and donā€™t rely on blue chemicals or similar alternatives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Increasing number of sites, CLs and the like where you donā€™t need to have hook up. And in some parts of the country aire type facilities.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Increasing number of sites, CLs and the like where you donā€™t need to have hook up. And in some parts of the country aire type facilities.
We've just had two great experiences in pub carparks, so definitely keen to do more of that. Though I imagine it can get a little expensive if you always eat there. We gave a charitable donation at the two we stayed at (apparently going to McMillan), so much cheaper than a site.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've just had two great experiences in pub carparks, so definitely keen to do more of that. Though I imagine it can get a little expensive if you always eat there. We gave a charitable donation at the two we stayed at (apparently going to McMillan), so much cheaper than a site.
Yes if we do UK again it will be pubs all the way. (y)
When we are out in the van we very nearly always eat out once a day so in fact the stops are free.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I recently had a Victron 30A B2B fitted for my two KS Energy 120AH batteries. The B2B doesn't seem to be performing as I'd hoped as it only seems to be putting around 5-6A into each battery whilst driving. It's made me a bit nervous about letting the batteries get too low. I've also got 3x100W panels in series and the system seemed to work better before the B2B was fitted. For some strange reason the MPPT seems to switch off before the batteries are showing 100% as well. Signed Apprehensive of Andalucia

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But, how much solar have you got?
400watt ... probably didn't need that much but I wasn't sure at the time if I'd need 2 batteries or not so we put enough solar and controller on so I could add more batteries if needed. But not needed so far

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We have done 2 years without ehu apart from our last Spain trip where ehu was free for 1 month of our 10 week stay šŸ‘
Ps, we donā€™t have an air fryer but Denise has a hairdryer šŸ¤£
You need to get a grip of SWMBO, very shellfish having her dryer, tell her fizzy hair is all the rage these days.

PS, donā€™t mention my name šŸ™„

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have 200 w solar ,a bog standard controller, two 100 a lead acid mat batteries, all about 5 years old now self installed and never need to hook up unless we have to pay for it.
Just wish I could find something to use all the spare electric.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The B2B doesn't seem to be performing as I'd hoped as it only seems to be putting around 5-6A into each battery whilst driving.
Have you got the fridge link removed in the CBE distribution unit?
With that link removed it connects the fridge to the leisure battery, if so the fridge will be taking 15 amps and the 30 amp B2B when they get hot the output drops to about 20 amps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I've also got an issue with my B2B. It's a 40 amp one, but the solar installers said that although it was kicking out 40 amps, only 20 were making it back to the battery (this was pre installed).

Needs rewiring apparently. It works, but only at 50%.

Will have to wait until we get back from our travels....

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Have you got the fridge link removed in the CBE distribution unit?
With that link removed it connects the fridge to the leisure battery, if so the fridge will be taking 15 amps and the 30 amp B2B when they get hot the output drops to about 20 amps.
The guy that fitted it couldn't locate the fridge relay and thought it might be embedded in the PCB. He resolved it by disconnecting on of the wires to the PCB. A side effect is that the control panel inside the van no longer shows the engine battery level condition. It's all above my pay grade.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Currently on a C&CC site in Devon for a week. I've taken the cheapskate grass only pitch option so effectively off grid. Weather is pants so no doubt why it seems like I'm a leper colony of one with everyone else on other part of the site.

Currently my 120Ah lithium is at 75%. The 150W roof solar (can't fit anything bigger) is generating 12W, and the folding 200W panel a generous 14W. Yesterday in slightly better conditions I had 630Wh in total from the panels. I'll be sat here today, avoiding rain, watching TV or playing computer games and will be surprised if tomorrow morning I still have 40% capacity, with another cloudy day forecast. Point being you need battery capacity unless you move every day.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The guy that fitted it couldn't locate the fridge relay and thought it might be embedded in the PCB. He resolved it by disconnecting on of the wires to the PCB. A side effect is that the control panel inside the van no longer shows the engine battery level condition. It's all above my pay grade.
Sounds like he might have removed the link I mentioned. You need it rewiring properly or a much bigger B2B.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I recently had a Victron 30A B2B fitted for my two KS Energy 120AH batteries. The B2B doesn't seem to be performing as I'd hoped as it only seems to be putting around 5-6A into each battery whilst driving. It's made me a bit nervous about letting the batteries get too low. I've also got 3x100W panels in series and the system seemed to work better before the B2B was fitted. For some strange reason the MPPT seems to switch off before the batteries are showing 100% as well. Signed Apprehensive of Andalucia
Check how the B2B is wired. If it is connected directly to the leisure batteries this will bypass the shunt so you won't be able to measure the charging current correctly. If you have a battery monitor it will also get confused and not show the state of charge correctly either but after stopping you should find after an hour or so it should be showing the correct figure.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Check how the B2B is wired. If it is connected directly to the leisure batteries this will bypass the shunt so you won't be able to measure the charging current correctly.
I checked the charge input from the KS Energy app which connects via bluetooth to the battery BMS.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I checked the charge input from the KS Energy app which connects via bluetooth to the battery BMS.
OK, I didn't realise your batteries were lithium. :)

What was the state of charge? I wouldn't expect the B2B to push out 30A if the batteries are already fairly full.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

I'd be miffed that I'd spent the extra on posh lithium elektrickery when clunky old lead acid leccy would have done the job šŸ˜‚

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We are off-grid for weeks at a time when we go to France, and while some aires have a 6A EHU, we rarely bother using it.

Total 12v power is just two 90ah batteries and 180w of solar... fridge is 12v compressor.. so not using a lot of gas... that's it.

We don't take any 240v domestic appliances as we can't use them, and I don't see the point of spending Ā£ks on a lithium set up just to do so.

I've still to be convinced it's a worthwhile investment ..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back