• Well done, you found us. THIS IS THE NEW SERVER

Another car park gains height barriers (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have been searching Google Earth for ages to see where "Marine Walk Car Park" is but I cannot find it!
Every other car park is on the Cleethorpes map, except Marine Walk, have they named it wrongly in the newspaper article?
I have been scrolling up & down that bloomin promenade all night, could have eaten a ton of ice cream by now, seeing how much is on offer.:giggle:
I think the NE coast is becoming more difficult every year to find suitable MH parking spots, whether free or not, its enough to put us off even thinking of going to these places, shame about the few spoiling things for all of us, but that's just a sad reflection of todays careless society.
If councils really want to provide a better cleaner environment for all, they need to consider more accessible/affordable parking, serviced public toilets, and more bins, with regular collection.
Use parking charges to help pay towards these services, local council tax payers are already well stitched up I bet.
If parking charges are too high though, then that's a further nail in the coffin of the high street, it has to be balanced fairly from all sides.
LES
LES
zoom in on the Google maps and you will see an RV with slideout there. Seen it before

IMG_0214.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I honestly think some of these "van life" videos havent helped. Too many people have jumped on board in the belief that they never have to pay for anything else.

New Zealand has a great setup, they have a certification for self containment and the NZMCA scheme issues its members with a number to display, thus making them accountable, the upside is that they can stop in the many NZMCA locations and enjoy serious discounts on camping etc. Almost the complete opposite of the UK caravan club. They still have a problem with camping in unsuitable vehicles but the wardens hand out serious penalties to those in the wrong place without the certification.
New Zealand is the reason we started this journey of motorhoming.
We did 35 days in a motorhome and absolutely loved it, imagine our dismay when we then bought a motorhome in the uk and discovered its not as simple to be as free and easy.
France and Spain came to our rescue with the many aires and camperstops though thanks to campra it is getting better in the uk but we seem to have taken a step back with the camc pricing structure which punishers the last minute bookers and favours the 2 week block booking tuggers who booked over a year ago.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I honestly think some of these "van life" videos havent helped. Too many people have jumped on board in the belief that they never have to pay for anything else.

New Zealand has a great setup, they have a certification for self containment and the NZMCA scheme issues its members with a number to display, thus making them accountable, the upside is that they can stop in the many NZMCA locations and enjoy serious discounts on camping etc. Almost the complete opposite of the UK caravan club. They still have a problem with camping in unsuitable vehicles but the wardens hand out serious penalties to those in the wrong place without the certification.
Not been to NZ Jon but I assume that there are service facilities dotted around where the correctly certified vans can stop, does the certificate allow you to wild camp where there are no facilities?

I think the problem here is that a few places are popping up where you can stop but there are no facilities, I firmly believe that if we want overnight places with some basic facilities as in water, rubbish bin and a hole in the ground then we should be prepared to pay for it.

I see there are always a few van parked in the Frankwell car park, are there any facilities there?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I'm paying £7 for 24hrs in Abingdon, went into town had a Thai meal for lunch a couple of pints in a local pub, swerved another pub as they are card only. Settled in for the night. Its a shame all councils are shortsighted. However I'm sure some pratt will get some chairs out and try to spend a week here leaving a mess.
Although it's probably the same council that runs oxford Park and ride which does not have provision for motorhomes
Weve overnighted on the oxford park and ride opposite go outdoors we had to ring the council toget the right ticket

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not been to NZ Jon but I assume that there are service facilities dotted around where the correctly certified vans can stop, does the certificate allow you to wild camp where there are no facilities?

I think the problem here is that a few places are popping up where you can stop but there are no facilities, I firmly believe that if we want overnight places with some basic facilities as in water, rubbish bin and a hole in the ground then we should be prepared to pay for it.

I see there are always a few van parked in the Frankwell car park, are there any facilities there?

If you dont have the self contained sticker then you are restricted to areas with public toilets.

New Zealand have public and private dump stations, public ones tend to be either at the side of the road or in the popular parking area's ( I'm guessing logistics plays a hand in this, there are some places where it would be very easy to set up a fowl dump and a tap). The private ones tend to be in filling stations and they charge for the use, but it also brings in customers (Ive also seen these in supermarkets in Portugal and France).

tbf public dump stations would be a very easy way to solve the waste problem, even if they were just a coin op borne like we see in France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The fact is, though, that there are some people who think they should be able to do what they want, where they want, and pay anything only if they want to.
You’ve just described most of the government and those in authority.

one rule for them and another for us.

But that aside the problem is not the majority of people who free parked in these places.

The problem is the people who say they can't and the people who for decades have simply allowed every shred of freedom they had to be removed and every piece of land to be claimed or stolen under the guise of preservation.

Greed and control , that is the underlying problem.

But sadly many are easily brainwashed these days in to thinking those who herd the sheep actually give a feck about them.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
People will always take the piss. Stop them doing it in one place they will just move to another.

But the answer is NOT to just keep banning or charging the majority who don't take the piss but unfortunately that's the short sighted attitude of these councils.
The problem is that the minority are actually quite a few, and they're persistent 'offenders'. So, in my Dad's seaside town, the locals got sick of motorhomes/campervans being parked up where there were clear signs saying they were not allowed to be overnight, despite the fact that there was plenty of space for them to legitimately be, either just along the coast road (about a mile at most), or less than 1/2 a mile inland. This went on, with increasing obvious anti-motorhome feeling mounting over about a five year period (all this pre-Covid). Those parking up overnight in the restricted areas weren't even discrete about it, but left bikes, BBQs, kids toys etc alongside their vehicles. Ticketing them clearly didn't work. So now there are height barriers up in the main car parks in and just outside the town, and NO 'vehicle adapted for sleeping' is permitted to park along that stretch AT ANY TIME, which means those who consistently abused the space have now resulted in no vans or MHs able to park there at all, even for a brief walk in the day. PLUS, the nice spaces just inland where vans used to often peacefully stop (usually without the piles of toys/bikes etc...), now also have 'no overnight' restrictions on them.

Yes, it's a minority who 'take the piss', but that minority unfortunately is increasing in number year on year. And not helped when you read LOTS of posts (not you, Northernraider) on various forums/groups saying 'oh, just ignore those signs' etc etc.

So far as waste goes, it's perfectly possible to plan your travels to allow for disposing of waste properly. Those who can't be bothered to do that, shouldn't be travelling. And yes, I do know that the problem is equally bad with those in cars.

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Back the the original post about Cleethorpes, I posted a while back about them opening some Motorhome parking bays near to the mini railway for £12 a night, (there are toilets near the entrance btw) the car park they are closing to Moho's is frequented by the local feral youth and a well known dogging site, it used to have 2 ways in but 1 had a wooden bridge over Buck beck that rattled as cars went over it and with the feral youth whizzing up and down making a racket at silly o'clock the council closed after complaints from locals, I also posted that although some roads in Cleethorpes have daytime parking restrictions 8am till 7pm park for 1 hour, from 7pm till 8am are free and as long as you are not causing an obstruction then no need to move on, I do this every month when I am DJing in Cleethorpes just down the road from the venue.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
zoom in on the Google maps and you will see an RV with slideout there. Seen it before

View attachment 738918
That's a helpful image

It's now clear why the carpark has been closed to motorhomes.

There's a campsite next door.

That will explain the mandatory mention of waste being dumped to gain support for the action.

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's a helpful image

It's now clear why the carpark has been closed to motorhomes.

There's a campsite next door.

That will explain the mandatory mention of waste being dumped to gain support for the action.
I think that the height barrier is universally welcomed but not the daily charge for what is a very small car park and used by many walking groups

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think that the height barrier is universally welcomed but not the daily charge for what is a very small car park and used by many walking groups
Yes the height barrier will be welcomed by people who don't have a high vehicle and feel somehow they are more entitled to park there than those that do have a high vehicle.

The parking charge is simply a council maneuver to exploit the situation.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
That RV being parked the way it is doesn't help our cause though does it?
Its like he/she is making a statement parking alongside the concrete barriers that he intends to stay there for a long while not just 4 hours. I think he/she has what looks like a Trike under wraps also, well that sure is going to grab attention when he/she heads into town, people will remember seeing him/her on it if he stays a while longer than he/she should. He/she is a total selfish, uncaring dick as far as I am concerned, Especially as he/she wont have even considered himself/herself as part of the cause for the new parking restrictions.
As ever the best advice for wilding here in the UK is arrive late, leave early, and don't be too conspicuous that you are camping, keep your head down.(y);)
Hope that wasn't overly too PC, but unlike The RV owner, you have be on your toes these days, I am told.;):cool:
LES

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back