Annual Inoculations in an EU Pet Passport (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
After looking on APHA website and checking on here, I’m a bit stumped for a definitive answer.
I currently foster a dog who originated in Bosnia.
He was brought over 3 years ago on his B&H EU issued pet passport.
Since he has been in the UK his previous adopters have had his annual inoculations entered in his EU issued passport, by their own UK vet.
Does this invalidate his passport for EU travel or are UK vets permitted to enter these details as there are wormers and clinical examinations.
Has anyone a definitive answer or have you travelled to the EU with your dog’s PP the same?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry I can't be definitive. But from what I have read, you should keep the passport away from UK vets for fear of voiding it. It's a popular topic here some someone will know/have the definitive answer,

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I believe that routine vaccination are ok but you need to keep uk vets away from the rabies vaccine section. That certainly voids the passport.
If the dog has been in the uk for 3 years then the rabies vaccination must be due or out of date.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I believe that routine vaccination are ok but you need to keep uk vets away from the rabies vaccine section. That certainly voids the passport.
If the dog has been in the uk for 3 years then the rabies vaccination must be due or out of date.
It certainly is as it was only for 1 year. If his PP is still valid I will re jab him here, get an AHC to get him into France for our next trip and hopefully get the lovely, terrible writing expensive and cash only Dr Jaucot to update PP details as she did for other two dogs. What I don’t want to do is have to get a new PP for him as well.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It certainly is as it was only for 1 year. If his PP is still valid I will re jab him here, get an AHC to get him into France for our next trip and hopefully get the lovely, terrible writing expensive and cash only Dr Jaucot to update PP details as she did for other two dogs. What I don’t want to do is have to get a new PP for him as well.
Then I would email Dr Jaucot and ask her.
But to be honest the real test is at the port on leaving.
If i read your post correctly the previous owner had vaccinations by uk vets into the passport then it MAY already be dead, so you loose nothing but having more added, and you will need the new PP anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If as you say you are having to get an AHC I would get a new passport as well, there are alternatives to Mme Jaucot as her charges seem to have risen excessively!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Okay, so you need to get an AHC to get your dog out of the country.

Have a look at the recommended vets in some of the EU passport topics on here. Depending on the country you end up in (France is the most difficult) you will be able to then get a new passport.

It’s well worth getting a vet that will administer a three year rabies jab as it gives you more time and options meaning lots of travel before the next booster.

Keep the passport separate from anything your UK vets do. They don’t need to see it, you don’t need them messing with it!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If the UK vet has only entered info in the worming and health check section then the passport is still valid, so you just need to get a UK rabies jab (ring round as you don't have to use your own vet as the costs vary significantly).

Next get the AHC sorted - Abbeywell at Folkestone only charge £99 which is done via email initially then you just collect the AHC when you go down for your crossing when they'll just scan the dog to check it matches the microchip on the AHC.

Once in the EU get another 3 year rabies jab done and entered into the passport and on the AHC for good measure (might as well make the most of your £99 outlay!). As your dog will have had a rabies jab beforehand in the UK you won't have to wait the usual 21 days after the EU vac before you return to the UK as it will be classed as a booster and not a completely new rabies jab, this means you could just get it done at the same vet you use for the return worming if they do PPs.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Just as an update.
The UK vet had signed the “Other vaccination” section in his PP when giving him his dhp, kc jab etc, which according to the APHA email I received this morning has indeed invalidated his PP.
A lesson I think I should feed back to the rescue centre is to inform adopters not to let their vet any where near the PP the dogs come with.

IMG_0344.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back