Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Christmas is coming up and ffiona's phone is dying so I thought I'd get her something better.
Now, bear in mind that both of us are pretty much Luddites. We both have old Nokia 1600's and are quite happy with them.
We both have the same mentality of, " if I want to make a phone call I'll use a phone, if I want internet I'll fire up either my laptop or ffi's Ipad".
We're not really into all singing all dancing phones and neither of us is into any form of social media at all.

It would, however, be nice these days to have a phone which we could get internet access on so that when we go away, we can check out if there's anything going on in the area (including Spain in winter).

So, fairly simple, internet access, Android or iPhone.

I really haven't a clue which and am open to sugestions.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
2018 Samsung Galaxy A6. Bought Ann one and she loves it. AMOLED screen, fast, 64gb memory, nothing to dislike. Oh and only £200 (y)

PS: To get something apple that's 2018 your looking at £1000

PPS: just bought mum the 32gb version £157

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My vote Motorola moto G series. I think if its occasional internet best stick with android and buy a handset rather than a contract then do PAYG or a low sim omly deal. Best make sure its not tied to a network then easy to change if a better deal comes along and she can keep her existing no.

Do be aware as soon as she gets internet on the phone you will be ignored a lot of the time and it will annoy you!!!!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We both use "One plus 5" phones. Excellent piece of kit, Android op system which is pretty stable and the phones are dual SIM so can give you the option between two service providers, worked well for me the other day when O2 were having problems.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Huawei for me, as good as my last Samsung.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you already have an iPad then buying a iPhone means that they will talk to each other which is very handy....(y)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As @Just smiffy says, one of the great things about Apple kit is that they all ‘talk’ to each other.
For instance, I make an appointment and enter it on the calendar on my phone. It immediately shows up on all our Apple devices by magic. Photos can be viewed, music listened to on any device, etc etc.
Expensive but good.

Richard.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Christmas is coming up and ffiona's phone is dying so I thought I'd get her something better.
Now, bear in mind that both of us are pretty much Luddites. We both have old Nokia 1600's and are quite happy with them.
We both have the same mentality of, " if I want to make a phone call I'll use a phone, if I want internet I'll fire up either my laptop or ffi's Ipad".
We're not really into all singing all dancing phones and neither of us is into any form of social media at all.

It would, however, be nice these days to have a phone which we could get internet access on so that when we go away, we can check out if there's anything going on in the area (including Spain in winter).

So, fairly simple, internet access, Android or iPhone.

I really haven't a clue which and am open to sugestions.
if you have an l pad buy an iphone
seamless connection and easy set up

if you have an android tab buy an android phone
not sure on ease of setting up ( i use apple )
they all do the same make calls and texts
and many access the internet

its cost that may decide your wish
:pray:
ive tried to be unbiased!!!!!
but it is hard once your money is spent.
its gone try both in the many shops,
also if nearby try an APPLE shop
or an reseller shop
i store
:blush:

https://www.apple.com/uk/

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The OP said

"We're not really into all singing all dancing phones and neither of us is into any form of social media at all.

It would, however, be nice these days to have a phone which we could get internet access on so that when we go away, we can check out if there's anything going on in the area (including Spain in winter)."

Suggests yes if you get an i-phone it will synch better its just whether its worth roughly £400 more given that level of use which comes down to what you expect to spend on a pressie my wife would think I was either mad or guilty!!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My vote Motorola moto G series. I think if its occasional internet best stick with android and buy a handset rather than a contract then do PAYG or a low sim omly deal. Best make sure its not tied to a network then easy to change if a better deal comes along and she can keep her existing no.

Do be aware as soon as she gets internet on the phone you will be ignored a lot of the time and it will annoy you!!!!
you can now get a moto e from tesco for 7.50 a month

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
got to be the deal of the year if you only need a simple smart phone

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I hate contracts but that is a rare good deal. Only 16gb memory though, and even less when the operating system is on it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Carphone warehouse ID is £3.99 a month but only 150 minutes (still a lot more than I use) so over the 2 years about the same cost but not tied into any network or plan or do 3 PAYG. Depends how its used I like the idea of paying upfront rather than by the month others will disagree The handset sim free is on Amazon at £80

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I hate contracts but that is a rare good deal. Only 16gb memory though, and even less when the operating system is on it.
yeah agree but he did say he didnt need much besides phone and text.
and that
£7.50 is as low as you can get for sim only never mind a decent make phone thown in.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a Galaxy S8 and just bought an Honor 9 for my wife at £129.99 from Argos, can’t fault the cheaper one.:xThumb:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
BLIMEY!!!!
So many replies so quick and so much info.
Thanks guys, I'll trawl through it when we get back from the hospital. Mums had a new knee and she's brassed off cos they wont let her out yet!

Thanks.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
i would sooner buy my own phone ( unlocked )
then buy a 30 day rollingsim only contract

your FREE to swop to the BEST deal
to suit you then

im plusnet with 2000 mins 1000 texts
1.5 gb £6 a month mrs t is the same
with i pads tethered to the phone
easy to set up with apple
not sure on android

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Once you get used to having mobile data available when away, you will need more than you think, so get a good deal with the data. With both an android and an iPhone, you can use the phone as a mobile hotspot giving WiFi To the iPad.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As @Just smiffy says, one of the great things about Apple kit is that they all ‘talk’ to each other.
For instance, I make an appointment and enter it on the calendar on my phone. It immediately shows up on all our Apple devices by magic. Photos can be viewed, music listened to on any device, etc etc.
Expensive but good.

Richard.
Google/Android stuff can do the same. If I enter an appointment on my tablet it is visible on my phone. Photos all visible on the Google Photos app. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
BLIMEY!!!!
So many replies so quick and so much info.
Thanks guys, I'll trawl through it when we get back from the hospital. Mums had a new knee and she's brassed off cos they wont let her out yet!

Thanks.
She's got a brass knee? Very steam punk! Has it got grease nipples? :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was a Samsung fan until I bought the Honor 7C to test out. I am now a convert.
I did have an iPhone in the early days and hated it. However they have come on a long way from then.

However, as I don't really put the phone through too much I am loath to spend £500 again never mind the almost £1,000 for an iPhone.
The £99 I paid for my Honor 7C was a punt and I am absolutely gobsmacked by the features, quality and battery life. Be careful if buying an Honor 7.... though they come in a variety of models and some are really bad, but other are excellent. The 7C is middle of the range and has the storage, memory and processing power to be fast and snappy, it also has some really excellent features such as the finger print and face recognition for unlocking. The finger print scanner also works with my internet banking to protect that app (revolut).

It also has dual sim so you can have a UK sim in it and a foreign sim in it allow you to still receive calls on your UK number whilst phoning out on your foreign sim.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

Thanks mate. Just got one of the above for ffi'. What a happy bunny Mrs Zaskar is. Chuffin' 'eck it's fast! Also comes with a remote Bluetooth speaker which although not the best quality sound, will do very nicely on the dinner table and good enough for nowt!...………...oh, and who-ever said "be prepared to be ignored"...……….wasn't kidding!:xdoh::xrofl:

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
data.jpg

Pete

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you need to keep an eye on data use while away consider getting 'mini Opera' browser from Google Play. There are different settings for data savings, even an extreme mode where non of the pictures are downloaded.
I set mine to low quality pictures, the savings are massive :xThumb:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Expensive but good.

Richard.
All that works exactly the same on an Android system. Wife & I have linked diaries that appear on our phones, our tablets, and our PCs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back