Anderson Connectors - How to fit? (1 Viewer)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
What am I missing?

How do you push the crimped wire end into the plastic fitting. It just will not go in.

Blade is the right way i.e bend end faces down if the plug bit is also down. But i can't put any pressure on to push and lock. Im going to end up stabbing myself trying to get a screwdriver edge on the edge of a crimp

Watched loads of you tube stuff and it all seems so easy with nobody needing anything other than a crimp tool and wire stripper :(

1000006506.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would swap over to XT60’s… been using them for well over a decade now and they are spot on!
I prefer anderson for automotive stuff. XT60 are great for small stuff like remote control vehicles.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
What am I missing?

How do you push the crimped wire end into the plastic fitting. It just will not go in.

Blade is the right way i.e bend end faces down if the plug bit is also down. But i can't put any pressure on to push and lock. Im going to end up stabbing myself trying to get a screwdriver edge on the edge of a crimp

Watched loads of you tube stuff and it all seems so easy with nobody needing anything other than a crimp tool and wire stripper :(

View attachment 884183
Think you have yet wrong type of crimping tool, your crimp is flat, you need one that crimps from all sides.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thats the problem with needing to use so many different crimpers for connections these days.
You need square ones for certain connectors, HD hydraulic ones for Battery sized Cabling, and now Anderson ones for Anderson Connectors, you use them to do a small wiring job, then they get put in a drawer somewhere, to maybe never be needed again and if you do, where the hell did you put them?
It may be a different story for those that change vans often, or maybe help out others doing some mods, but I have so many use by me once tools now, that I cannot give away, let alone sell on flea bay with all the hassle that involves.
LES

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I always solder the wires in. Hold the pin in a vice between two bits of wood then heat with a blowlamp while filling the hole with solder. Apply flux and quickly insert the wire while solder is still molten. Some do not like soldering wires on vehicles as severe vibration may cause the wire to fatigue and snap, I have never had a problem using multi-stranded wire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thats the problem with needing to use so many different crimpers for connections these days.
I have 3 crimp tools
Silverline ratchet. For normal red, yellow and blue crimps. covers everything up to 6mm cable. This also does the smaller Anderson connectors.
1712701953194.png

Then I have the beast. Not this one specifically but pretty much identical. This is great for 10mm - 50mm, This also does the larger Anderson connectors.
1712702104833.png

And my latest addition ( a few years ago now) This Ferrule crimper which is brilliant. Great for avoiding whiskers and making a very neat, professional job of it.
1712702266115.png

So 3 tools in total. Not a lot and the last one is optional really.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I always solder the wires in. Hold the pin in a vice between two bits of wood then heat with a blowlamp while filling the hole with solder. Apply flux and quickly insert the wire while solder is still molten. Some do not like soldering wires on vehicles as severe vibration may cause the wire to fatigue and snap, I have never had a problem using multi-stranded wire.

I suspect for larger cables not only will they suffer from vibration stresses you may also end up with dry joints. even with the flux. The flux may flash off quickly and the sheer quantity of copper may wick the heat away. especially if you have sized the connector correctly so that it pushes out a lot of the solder.

Unless you are talking about XT60 connectors in which case soldering is the only choice but I would want to heat up and tin the wire before inserting into the connector.

Opinions may vary.

Reactions: 68c
OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Think you have yet wrong type of crimping tool, your crimp is flat, you need one that crimps from all sides.
This would appear to be the key. Having rounded a couple of the crimps they are now going in. Wohoo.

Looking extremely closely at the plastic moulding, despite it appearing there is plenty of internal space, there are hidden slight internal bulges which narrow the interior. The non round crimps were being obstructed on those bulges.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back