Am I an Old Age Pensioner

• Thread starter Thread starter 42208
  • Start date Start date

Stagecoach

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
I couldn’t agree more @PeteH , but to say that it make our blood boil would be an understatement. We have been screwed all our life with other people’s business, including having to sell when in negative equity. Buying a house on variable interest four months before it shot to 18%. I could go on but don’t wish to bore you. And now the pension, just to make sure we were screwed all our lives.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I’m stuck in the “wrong age” as well. Original change meant I would get my pension just before I was 65. New one is well over a year later and the closer I get to it the more worried I get that they will move the date again. Fully paid up stamps etc etc I feel a bit cheated. It’s worse that friends in your age group have been receiving their pension for years as they just spotted in before the change. 7 years extra pension than me. I worked full time all my working life. I was one of the lucky ones, personal circumstances meant I was able to stop work and become a “kept woman” which allowed us to travel while in reasonable health. A lot of women my age were left totally unsettled as didn’t have this option and jobs they were in were not suitable for the mature lady but had no option as not ideal employment material once over 60.
It was the manner in which the changes were made with such little notification to enable you to plan that was wrong. I’m not wishing my life away but I will certainly feel better when I am making some contribution to the coffers.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
I've been collecting my private pension since I turned 58, over 3 years ago, but still working and probably won't stop till I get my state pension at 66.

My wife is in same position as previous poster Southdowners, but luckily she also has personal pension which she is drawing on. We never thought we would be so well off with our pensions, only ever thought we'd be just about making ends meet, but we both managed to get a six figure tax free sum on our pensions, so in effect we've never had it so good. And in a few years we'll get state pension as well.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I collected my first "free prescription" yesterday, the pharmacist, dispensary assistant plus one of the other people in the queue were ex patients so it turned into a little chat about my age. It had been my Birthday on Sunday. Patient confidentiality went out the window but I left with a smile on my face when a young man buying aftershave said I didn't look my age ( he must have been in his 50's) ! I'll take the compliments where I can these days haha.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Lots of interesting responses, like a lot of you my wife feels very aggrieved that her pension age was moved from 60 to 66 in one go, think she was at the tipping point where had she been slightly older it would have been tapered rather than one huge leap, however, against that she is still slightly surprised that she will receive a full pension as in our late 20's early 30's we had assumed and planned for the fact that the state pension would be unsustainable by the time we reached that age or at least means tested, however, it seems that along with the NHS its too hot a potato for any politician to touch, too easy for opposition to make capital gain out of any suggestions put forward and hence easiest to maintain the status quo. (Not sure if that is good or bad!)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Don't forget if you opted out of serps, you don't get the full pension that they like to quote. When I was 17 and working at ICI (remember them ?) I was given a piece of paper and told to sign it, it opted me out of serps.

I was lucky though as I worked for ICI for 28 years and finished with a very good salary in my final 2 years which bumped my pension up considerably. Under ICI rules we could retire on full pension at 62, I took mine at 58 so I could reduce my working hours.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
@Reliant I was originally in the “tapered” group, didn’t reach my turn before they moved it again. Was due to get it as part of the taper before I was 65 but doesnt apply now I’ve been pushed back to 66 now!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
They do but that's not the way it should be imo. I put money away for my company pension - the colleagues I left behind would get quite upset if they had to pay for it. Why should it be any different for the politicians?

Agreed. However as they've started on one path it's almost impossible to switch to the other. Because your pension wasn't "pre-funded" the next generation has to pay for it. If they then additionally had to "pre-fund" their own pensions they would pay double. Because such a switch would entail a doubling of costs (however they are carried) for a generation and will divert money from other priorities (a lot, as the old age pension is very expensive) it is politically very difficult.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
it was decided to equalise the pension age for women in the 1990's so it is difficult to understand any lack of notice. Women live longer than men so are still quids in. The pension date should have been equalised in the 1970's.
Under WASPIs plans a female who was born at 23:55 on 31 Dec 1959 would get their pension at 60 but a female born 10 minutes later would get their pension at 66. Men would still get their pension at 66. It is embarrassing they state they are against inequality.

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Under WASPIs plans a female who was born at 23:55 on 31 Dec 1959 would get their pension at 60 but a female born 10 minutes later would get their pension at 66. Men would still get their pension at 66. It is embarrassing they state they are against inequality.

That simply isn't true.

Here is a quote from Equity who are in support of the campaign.

'Equity is supporting the Women Against State Pension Inequality (WASPI) campaign, which was established to fight the injustice caused to women born on or after 6 April 1951 through the delay in their state pension age (SPA). In many cases these delays were introduced without any adequate notice which has resulted in financial hardship for many women.

The first increase in women’s state pension age was brought in by the Pensions Act 1995 which equalised men and women’s pension age to 65 over a ten year period from April 2010. The government did not notify any women by letter of these changes until nearly 14 years after 1995 and some never received a letter. Any other form of notice provided was both patchy and inadequate.

The Pension Act 2011 further accelerated the changes by bringing in a faster equalisation of men and women’s state pension age – it also accelerated the timetable for the rise in the SPA to 66. This change particularly affected women born from 6 April 1953. They got letters between the ages of 57 and nearly 59 telling them that their state pension age would no longer be 60.'

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Which part of this do you consider "That simply isn't true"?
"Under WASPIs plans a female who was born at 23:55 on 31 Dec 1959 would get their pension at 60 but a female born 10 minutes later would get their pension at 66. Men would still get their pension at 66. It is embarrassing they state they are against inequality."
That is their stated position and up to women born in the sixties to fight their own corner.

In addition the Government has never written to me about drinking and driving laws or any other law come to think about it so the next time I am up in the dock that will be my get out of gaol free card.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I retired 15 years ago and still not got a state pension.
Should be Christmas 2020 but I’ll believe it when it arrives. Already gone from 60 to 66, May very well increase again.

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
"Under WASPIs plans a female who was born at 23:55 on 31 Dec 1959 would get their pension at 60 but a female born 10 minutes later would get their pension at 66. Men would still get their pension at 66. It is embarrassing they state they are against inequality."
That is their stated position and up to women born in the sixties to fight their own corner.

In addition the Government has never written to me about drinking and driving laws or any other law come to think about it so the next time I am up in the dock that will be my get out of gaol free card.

None of what you have written regarding WASPI's campaign is true.

I have no idea why you have decided to post erroneous information.

PeteH

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just remember, YOU, have been funding the Enhanced and Protected pensions of the H-o-P, the Civil Service, AND the Local Authorities, since 1948.:D2 Just saying?:whistle:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Equality is fine, but my husband has received his state pension at age 65.

I think the way it was carried out so quickly with no opportunity to make alternative pension arrangements was outrageous. I expect they thought that a bunch of old women wouldn't notice or if they did they wouldn't raise objections. It should have been a much more gradual tapering - it has hit a number of women very hard and resulted in financial difficulties and even suicide.

All power to WASPI !!!
The state pension age was originally set at 65 years old for men, and 60 years for women. In 1995 a new law increased women's state pension age from 60 to 65 between 2010 and 2020. This meant that women born in the 1950s (and after) would reach retirement age later than they had planned.1 Feb 2017

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The state pension age was originally set at 65 years old for men, and 60 years for women. In 1995 a new law increased women's state pension age from 60 to 65 between 2010 and 2020. This meant that women born in the 1950s (and after) would reach retirement age later than they had planned.1 Feb 2017

The problem is that it has hit a number of women very hard indeed. They were not notified in time giving no time to implement any additional pension plans, etc.... See below:

The first increase in women’s state pension age was brought in by the Pensions Act 1995 which equalised men and women’s pension age to 65 over a ten year period from April 2010. The government did not notify any women by letter of these changes until nearly 14 years after 1995 and some never received a letter. Any other form of notice provided was both patchy and inadequate.

The Pension Act 2011 further accelerated the changes by bringing in a faster equalisation of men and women’s state pension age – it also accelerated the timetable for the rise in the SPA to 66. This change particularly affected women born from 6 April 1953. They got letters between the ages of 57 and nearly 59 telling them that their state pension age would no longer be 60.'

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The problem is that it has hit a number of women very hard indeed. They were not notified in time giving no time to implement any additional pension plans, etc.... See below:

I am only stating from Google. Its not made up by me. Its a fact.
Please check the actual website. I only copied it not thought it up.
See below
Screenshot_20190510-184632.png

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm not saying you're wrong - just that the info you cut and pasted doesn't give the full picture.

alanalmoff

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
Mm
When do you become an Old Age Pensioner? I retired 6 years ago at 59 and draw a pension, does that make me an OAP? I am 65 in a couple of weeks time, the traditional age for a pensioner so will I become an OAP then?, however, because we all live longer the government will not start paying my pension until I am 65 3/4 ie next February, so is that when I become an OAP? And an even bigger question why don't I feel like one and it still all seems like something that is going to happen in the distant future not imminently?
I'am75 now, took early retirement at 60, lost 4% per year ie. 20% of my pension, one of the best things I have ever done, I reccomend to anyone, retire when you nearly can afford too and cut your cloth to suit,
Money ain't everything

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I'm not saying you're wrong - just that the info you cut and pasted doesn't give the full picture.
It doesn't, that's true but it didn't come in overnight. I certainly knew about it well before I retired. However, bus pass was delayed till was 62 and 3 months and my wife was 62 and 7 months and she's only 2 months younger than I am.
I retired at 65 being born in 1952

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Currently it will be 67 for both me & Mrs F for the state pension, though by the time it gets to 2039 and we qualify I bet it's higher! Stuff that - trying to be good with the private pension and save up enough to go much earlier. I don't hear too many people complaining about having retired too early.

See how the pension performs between now and 55 for me (final salary schemes are a thing of the past unless you work for HM Government!). If it does OK then 55 could be possible - and if I feel like it then something seasonal to top it up a bit each year in the first few years could be OK - nothing managerial, had enough of that, maybe do a bit of seasonal driving work or similar. Far too early to say though really.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Retired 16 years ago aged 52 after motorcycle accident, wife was 47, she ended up in a wheelchair for 7 1/2 years !
Luckily we both had good work pensions, I received my OAP at 65 but wife was unlucky , robbing Tory government stole her pension and like many other women she is not getting hers for anther 3 1/2 years at 66.

OP
OP

Deleted User

Check your facts before posting please, your wrong

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
it was decided to equalise the pension age for women in the 1990's so it is difficult to understand any lack of notice
How about "they never told anyone" or "publicised it ? Same as I only found out there was such a thing as ·working tax credits" by a remark from @Gromett a couple of years back .Or that there is/was such a thing as "minimum income pension guarantee's ?"
I only found out that such a thing existedin the last few months & only due to it being phased out for applications after May 6th this year.
they do not publicise anything that requires them to pay out money but expect the general public to ferret around for themselves.Completely wrong.

They got letters between the ages of 57 and nearly 59 telling them that their state pension age would no longer be 60.'

No the wife didn't even get that one either.

It doesn't, that's true but it didn't come in overnight. I certainly knew about it well before I retired.
just the luck of the draw.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp

It is all true.

OK, let's go through this item by item.
What are WASPI aka GRASPI wanting different for a woman born on 31 Dec 1959 at 23:55 and a woman born 10 minutes later?
What other change to the law have you ever been individually written to about?
There's two for starters.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
@Camdoon Are you sure? I was born in 55. Def not got my pension. I must wait until I’m 66.
I was explaining that GRASPI campaign for women born in the 1950's but not for women born in the 1960's or men.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back