Always worth checking your Underslung Tank! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
There was a post on here recently that prompted me to check the condition of my underslung LPG tank. It was very rusty in a couple of places so I had it replaced.

I'm sure loads of people on here will be on the ball about checking this sort of stuff but if you're like me and didn't give it much thought you might want to check it.

I asked the tank installer if the LPG would have leaked slowly as the rust went into a small hole. He said it can go that way but the huge pressure can dislodge a larger chunk resulting in a large leak instantaneously.

I've got a reminder set up about giving my new tank another coat of anti-stone chip paint in a year's time

IMG_20240912_094356.jpg

OP
OP
Thornebt
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I believe the hoses and regulator should be changed every ten years. My regulator looked brand new but was dated twelve years ago.

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for reminder. Though my tank isn’t rusty it has suffered paint chips. Could any body recommend a suitable paint?

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
Thanks for reminder. Though my tank isn’t rusty it has suffered paint chips. Could any body recommend a suitable paint?
Hi, Jeddy, you can get "stonechip" paint in aerosols from places like Halfords or most car accessory shops. Check the manufacture date on your tank- should be stamped in the tank near the outlet/gauges.
Cheers, Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There was a post on here recently that prompted me to check the condition of my underslung LPG tank. It was very rusty in a couple of places so I had it replaced.

I'm sure loads of people on here will be on the ball about checking this sort of stuff but if you're like me and didn't give it much thought you might want to check it.

I asked the tank installer if the LPG would have leaked slowly as the rust went into a small hole. He said it can go that way but the huge pressure can dislodge a larger chunk resulting in a large leak instantaneously.

I've got a reminder set up about giving my new tank another coat of anti-stone chip paint in a year's time

View attachment 948139
Why wasn't it painted when fitted?

OP
OP
Thornebt
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
It was painted when fitted. I'm going to give it another coat of anti-chip paint in a year's time as the installer said it would be a good idea.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It was painted when fitted. I'm going to give it another coat of anti-chip paint in a year's time as the installer said it would be a good idea.
The one in the photo hasn't been painted or it wouldn't be orange. Best to give a tank a good few coats of stonechip paint before it's fitted.

I thought that was standard practice

OP
OP
Thornebt
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
That was the original tank probably fitted in 2010 when the van was new. I didn't realise it hadn't been painted.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No

View attachment 948139
I am relatively new to this industry but in nearly 40 years our fitter has never seen a tank fail as described to you , they tend to go porous and fizz on the surface, they don’t fail catastrophically.
Farmers were the worst culprits on old Land Rovers etc .
We probably see about half a dozen or so failed tanks a year on Motorhomes .
More worrying is the straps that many underslung tanks are mounted with ⚠️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back