Alpine pass

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Has anyone any experience of the SS36 pass from the top of Lake Como north towards the Swiss 13 and onto Chur ?
The delay on the Gottard tunnel looks quite long with the Mont Blanc tunnel closure.
How suitable is the SS36 for motorhomes ?
I could do the Gottard pass, I'm ok with that having done it before but the SS36 is a bit more direct for me given where I am.
TIA

Edit - Apparently it's called the Splügen-Pass

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't know the road but a check on Google maps show it isn't very wide and there is a lot of traffic.

I have crossed into Italy further east, the last Italian town was Tirano then on the 29 into Switzerland. This was a good road and a lot less traffic on it at the moment according to Google Maps but a detour on the SS38 from where you are.
Screenshot_20240918-162104.png

Screenshot_20240918-162008.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Not done that one, but you are only 6.5m long.

On condition that you know how to use your gears and engine to slow down,
and do not 'ride the brakes' on the descent,
you should be fine.

In fact it looks a fun route, over 50 hairpins, I'd enjoy that pass in good weather.
We have done passes such as the Timmelsjoch in good weather and we are 6.7m and automatic (with a manual override)

If there is snow at the top, make sure you have the right tyres!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Figaro
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
6 metre and no snow tyres, I wasn't expecting it in September 🥶

I might try the Saint Bernadino road tunnel if there is snow on the passes, I'll check that.
I'd completely forgotten about the SBRT :doh:
It's a bit out of my way but may be worthwhile

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
I drove the Splugen Pass many years ago in an Alfasud Sprint. Fabulous road. The Swiss side should be ok, there used to be an underground army base 90% the way up. The Italian side consists of mainly hairpin bends and avalanche chutes. Height might be your issue. There are several youtube videos on it, maybe check those to see if there are any height issues for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Just remember the rain that has caused all the flooding in Poland etc is forecast to be heading South towards Italy, hope it doesn't cause you problems. 👍

OP
OP
Figaro
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I found this thread, I don't think height will be a problem, as DBK says it just looks a bit narrow, I think I'll risk it tomorrow, weather forecast is dry until late afternoon

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
I found this thread, I don't think height will be a problem, as DBK says it just looks a bit narrow, I think I'll risk it tomorrow, weather forecast is dry until late afternoon

How did you find it? Considering this tommorow but it has snowed now can see snow on mountain tops here so thinking it could be iffy. Be interested to hear how you found it.

OP
OP
Figaro
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
How did you find it? Considering this tommorow but it has snowed now can see snow on mountain tops here so thinking it could be iffy. Be interested to hear how you found it.
Unfortunately I got talked out of it by the OH who doesn't like mountain passes. I went back to Lugano and then through the San Gottard tunnel.
The delays at the tunnel weren't too bad but overall I regretted not taking the pass north from lake Como.
Good luck

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Unfortunately I got talked out of it by the OH who doesn't like mountain passes. I went back to Lugano and then through the San Gottard tunnel.
The delays at the tunnel weren't too bad but overall I regretted not taking the pass north from lake Como.
Good luck
We are on the northern end of Lake Como so am debating which will be worse driving the west coast section of the lake to Lugano or up that pass!! Don’t mind mountain passes just narrow roads…and we have had snow although expect it has cleared by now…all these decisions lol!

OP
OP
Figaro
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I was similarly unsure, the road west to Lugano is slow and the 'old' road I think before they built the SS36 road up the east side of the lake.
In the end I wished I'd driven the pass but hey ho, we live and learn.
Did you stay at the caravan park in Novate Mezzola ? As someone mentioned on here a few weeks ago.
(Thank you whoever recommend it, great parkup but I've forgotten who it was)

IMG_20240918_141838852_HDR.jpg

If you do the pass be sure to let us know 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
I was similarly unsure, the road west to Lugano is slow and the 'old' road I think before they built the SS36 road up the east side of the lake.
In the end I wished I'd driven the pass but hey ho, we live and learn.
Did you stay at the caravan park in Novate Mezzola ? As someone mentioned on here a few weeks ago.
(Thank you whoever recommend it, great parkup but I've forgotten who it was)

View attachment 960536
If you do the pass be sure to let us know 👍
No we are about 15 minutes away at camping la riva, also recommended, it's lovely but quite expensive and its token showers,but to be fair have found Italian campsites expensive compared to our other trips but probably just where we have been!

I think we are going to do the pass its just finding next place to stay now!

OP
OP
Figaro
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
This is the spot if you fancy a free (if the pay machine is broken, otherwise 10 euro) parkup overlooking the lake, makes up for those expensive Italian sites
Screenshot_20241004-190947.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
This is the spot if you fancy a free (if the pay machine is broken, otherwise 10 euro) parkup overlooking the lake, makes up for those expensive Italian sites
View attachment 960685
That’s great thanks. Yes we have been shocked at how expensive the sites are in Italy, especially as our last trip was Spain and Portugal! I has that one saved too, that’s typical, been 40 euro a night here not including showers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back