Alphatronics TV voltage query (33 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 13, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
When off grid after about an hour TV switches to standby displaying low voltage warning. Leisures baterries still well charged.
At home now and running some basic tests, SOC of batteries is 83% and 12v socket next to TV location tests out at 13.1v, but TV Android home screen shows only 12.4 volt. Switching over to EHU, TV displays 12.9 volt and 12 v socket 13.4v.
This is a Hymer van with the TV integrated into the audio system, with all wiring hidden away, so tracing that through is not an option for me.
So my next step will be to try plugging the TV directly into the adjacent 12 volt socket. But I am unsure whether I can just plug it in directly or need a voltage regulator?
Or any ideas what might be going on?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Which Alphatronics model is it? The manual I've seen says the TV works from any voltage from 9V to 32V. That means it's designed to work from an automotive power source, which can vary in voltage considerably. Typically 9V when the battery is powering some devices, to over 16V if the alternator produces a voltage spike. So it should work fine with a voltage of 12.0V.

I don't know why the screen is saying it's only getting 12.4V when the socket provides 13.1V, but if the TV is reading the voltage accurately then it could be a bad connection on the wire between the socket and the TV. A loose/broken wire, a fuse that's corroded/oxidised, that kind of thing.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
socket next to TV location tests out at 13.1v, but TV Android home screen shows only 12.4 volt.
The socket has no load, but the TV is loading its connection.

Sounds like, maybe, the power wiring to the TV is not up to the job.

then it could be a bad connection on the wire between the socket and the TV. A loose/broken wire, a fuse that's corroded/oxidised, that kind of thing.
quiite likely so.

OP
OP
RobinE
Jul 13, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you, Autoroute, it's an Alphatronics SL-32 DSBAI+.
I cannot find anything in the manual regarding voltage other than to use the correct 12v device connection.
I am not able to trace the wiring for a bad connection as the power cable dissappears into the 12 volt 'loom', so that will have to wait till the next dealer visit.
In the meantime would it be safe to use a separate cable from the nearby 12v socket? Or would I need to include some sort of regulator?

OP
OP
RobinE
Jul 13, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you, I have now found the datasheet for this model which states the input voltage to be between 10.8 and 24v so good to go. Just need to take the TV off its mounting bracket which is hiding all the connections and then find a lead to fit the socket.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you, I have now found the datasheet for this model which states the input voltage to be between 10.8 and 24v so good to go. Just need to take the TV off its mounting bracket which is hiding all the connections and then find a lead to fit the socket.
Hi Robin,
Did you ever get to the source of this problem ?
I have a 24" alphatronics TV which is shutting down claiming low voltage whereas the leisure battery is at 12.4 v ish.
My 12v panel shuts off at 11.7v and it's been nowhere near that.
I'll check connections as per autorouter suggestion when I can.

Sep 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Im a newbie
I am getting exactly the same problem on an Alphatronics 32”, it’s fine if on ehu but states voltage too low when just using onboard 12v batteries, even though they are relatively new batteries with a good voltage … did anyone find a solution? Many thanks

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Alphatronics are the worst TVs I have ever owned. Never had the undervoltage issue but trying to do anything with them is a nightmare, even the remote control is so non intuitive. I pleased to learn that MORELO have dropped them and moving to Avtex for 2025 models.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Alphatronics are the worst TVs I have ever owned. Never had the undervoltage issue but trying to do anything with them is a nightmare, even the remote control is so non intuitive. I pleased to learn that MORELO have dropped them and moving to Avtex for 2025 models.
We are having to suffer an Alphatronics as its the only one that fits in the TV cabinet.
I alway though they were crap.
This ones not too bad as it is a smart TV and uses LG's Web OS so similar to our LG OLED at home to operate but don't think much of the picture quality.
They are crap for the money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I am getting exactly the same problem on an Alphatronics 32”, it’s fine if on ehu but states voltage too low when just using onboard 12v batteries, even though they are relatively new batteries with a good voltage … did anyone find a solution? Many thanks
I'm back from my trip now and testing the voltage at the connections for the TV is on my list of jobs to do over the weekend.
But I'm sure it's the tv rather than the battery.
The TV is supposed to work off 10v and as said my panel shuts down at 11.7v so it must be miss reading. I just can't be sure yet there isn't a bad connection.
The OP hasn't been seen since February ☹️
Hopefully I'll find out soon

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We are having to suffer an Alphatronics as its the only one that fits in the TV cabinet.
I alway though they were crap.
This ones not too bad as it is a smart TV and uses LG's Web OS so similar to our LG OLED at home to operate but don't think much of the picture quality.
They are crap for the money.
We thought ours was a great picture.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We thought ours was a great picture.
Depends what you are used twe have an OLED at home so anything less looks fuzzy.
I don't think it's as good as the Cello I fitted in the last van, and not being able to adjust the sound equilisation due to the way Carthago have wired it is a pain.

Jun 10, 2018
Funster No
They may have changed the boxes now but on up to this year on the fiat carthagos, they fit an amp behind the passenger glovebox (if right hand drive) this amp did have all the sound adjustment located on this independent of what was set on the alphatronics. Be warned if you play with it though that these boxes are a notorious pain when they play up

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
On our van we have the Fiat infotainment system, the head unit has 4 video/audio inputs but Carthago refuse to connect this.
They connect direct to the Fiat amp from the headphone socket on the TV. This means as the TV headphone jack is used there is no equalistion adjustment on the TV and of course going direct to the amp none there.

So you pay £2400 for the infotainment system another £2000 for the media package and they can't be bothered to integrate them, total bollocks.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
Funster No
They must of just changed the amp this year then as previous years since the series 8 was released regardless of the info system you adjust treble bass etc on the amp itself. Was always a pain to get at and out. Because of issues I have seen with these I’ve always said I take the signal wire out from the alpha brain and just mount a 12v soundbar somewhere as the new alphatronics are a pretty decent tv and it’s very hard to fit an avtex in its place

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Depends what you are used twe have an OLED at home so anything less looks fuzzy.
I don't think it's as good as the Cello I fitted in the last van, and not being able to adjust the sound equilisation due to the way Carthago have wired it is a pain.
We have OLED too but still find the van tv fine, I have been to specsavers though🤣🤣🤣

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
On our van we have the Fiat infotainment system, the head unit has 4 video/audio inputs but Carthago refuse to connect this.
They connect direct to the Fiat amp from the headphone socket on the TV. This means as the TV headphone jack is used there is no equalistion adjustment on the TV and of course going direct to the amp none there.

So you pay £2400 for the infotainment system another £2000 for the media package and they can't be bothered to integrate then, total bollocks.
We don't have Fiat just the media pack so set the head unit to AUX and sound comes out the speakers in the van. Not sure if there's an amplifier or not but sound is pretty good for both TV and radio, the radio is the cheapest crappiest pioneer unit though so we may get it changed for a better one.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Bose Soundlink Mini sorts the sound out for our Alphatronics via Headphone socket but it is a "Tv" rather than the split unit they now sometimes fit to Carthago. Bt works Ok but slightly poor sync so hardwire is best. Fed from an Icycrypt sat box or fire stick I am very impressed with the picture TBH... And I am a fussy bloke after 30 years in the Tv and audio industry! Maybe the newer ones are less good? Oh and never had voltage issue in 5.5 years... kiss of death saying that obvs... LOL

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
They must of just changed the amp this year then as previous years since the series 8 was released regardless of the info system you adjust treble bass etc on the amp itself. Was always a pain to get at and out. Because of issues I have seen with these I’ve always said I take the signal wire out from the alpha brain and just mount a 12v soundbar somewhere as the new alphatronics are a pretty decent tv and it’s very hard to fit an avtex in its place
I can sort it out but it's the principle they charge rediculass prices for options and can't be arsed to install them properly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think the picture quality is poor for the price of the TV, I'm not referring to Carthago price just the Alphatronics price.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
as the new alphatronics are a pretty decent tv
It has a satellite tuner, but no Freesat TV guide which is just plain nonsense.

We are actively looking for a sensible replacement.

But it does work on 12 volts from the leisure battery - probably because the lithium holds the voltage stable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back