Rally Chat Alleged thefts at the Malvern Show (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Just returned from the show and was hearing reports of travellers getting onto the camping areas by paying for a pitch. However there were subsequent reports of young children roaming around pitches and removing items. Not sure if this is just rumours or fact.
How did Warner's staff allow this?
Anyone else heard about these alleged incidents?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Just returned from the show and was hearing reports of travellers getting onto the camping areas by paying for a pitch. However there were subsequent reports of young children roaming around pitches and removing items. Not sure if this is just rumours or fact.
How did Warner's staff allow this?
Anyone else heard about these alleged incidents?

'How did Warner's staff allow this?'

As you say, your NOT sure if this is rumour or not.
Hasn't media been responsible for enough deaths over the past few days? šŸ˜”

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Luckily Warners put a very big fence between the Funster field and general camping this year to keep us safe šŸ˜‰

I did wonder if it was to stop vans driving straight in without tickets.

There are usually a few vans that get nicked so hopefully it has stopped that happening too.

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Went to the Warners Show at Peterborough a couple of years ago and was mightily unimpressed and would never go again.

Starting with the worst:
There was noise issue from a couple of drunks outside their van well after midnight and the site security were on ANSWERPHONE šŸ˜²šŸ˜²šŸ˜² Also, no sign of patrols.
I had to take my chances and deal with them myself (not a ā€˜goodā€™ morning person and certainly hate having my sleep disturbed).

The on-site shop was closed with no other provision made, the nearest was 2 miles away.

Site shower blocks were appalling, inadequate, not cleaned and in disrepair.

The pitches were well overdue cutting, the grass was at least 3-5 inches long.

There were a couple of other issues as well that I canā€™t remember.

I spoke with both the Warners rep and head of security making my disappointment known, telling both that it would not be what I would have expected for a significant motorhome event.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Went to the Warners Show at Peterborough a couple of years ago and was mightily unimpressed and would never go again.

Starting with the worst:
There was noise issue from a couple of drunks outside their van well after midnight and the site security were on ANSWERPHONE šŸ˜²šŸ˜²šŸ˜² Also, no sign of patrols.
I had to take my chances and deal with them myself (not a ā€˜goodā€™ morning person and certainly hate having my sleep disturbed).

The on-site shop was closed with no other provision made, the nearest was 2 miles away.

I spoke with both the Warners rep and head of security making my disappointment known, telling both that it would not be what I would have expected for a significant motorhome event.
To be fair Peterborough was due to close so why would they maintain anything - many locals are sad the council have sold the site off and even left the speedway team homeless.

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
To be fair Peterborough was due to close so why would they maintain anything - many locals are sad the council have sold the site off and even left the speedway team homeless.
With the regards to the state of the facilities, maybe.

But definitely no excuse for total lack of night time security, and cutting the grass would not have hurt anyone.

Especially bearing in mind that Warners want to encourage customers to a dedicated event for motor homes and caravans.

Made for a very poor and lasting impression on us.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Useful information. Would not have expected problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
since 2006
Do as you likeys have been doing the warners shows for years, and lots of pilfering going on. The days of them just towing a twin wheeled hobby are few and far between, they now have top of the range motorhomes and attend a lot of the steam rallies and Haven sites off season. Worth noting that some are also members of the motorhome forums.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I was staying on a campsite near the NEC when the show was on. Two separate people came back to the campsite to find their caravans had gone. I seem to recall it was the last day of the show, so the campsite was extra busy with lots of people leaving.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
With the regards to the state of the facilities, maybe.

But definitely no excuse for total lack of night time security, and cutting the grass would not have hurt anyone.

Especially bearing in mind that Warners want to encourage customers to a dedicated event for motor homes and caravans.

Made for a very poor and lasting impression on us.
I suspect that cutting the grass would be down to the Showground not Warners. It may have been part of the contract but not done. Can you imagine turning everyone away?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I suspect that cutting the grass would be down to the Showground not Warners. It may have been part of the contract but not done. Can you imagine turning everyone away?
Personally I would prefer 3-5 inches of grass to fresh clippings.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Starting with the worst:

I've been to more than 20 Warner's Peterborough shows. They always seem to have plenty of security on duty. I've often been spoken to by them around midnight. :blush:

On site showers on agricultural grounds are often very poor, luckily most of us have a shower in the van.

The pitches are never going to resemble a close mown caravan site pitch, it's an agricultural show ground and besides, 6 inch long grass in April is good, it gives you your best chance of not getting stuck in the famous Peterborough mud.

I remember them being let down by the shop, a couple of years ago I think it was a Covid issue, but then the following year it had changed hands, so could have been anything. I rarely use the shop, but I did at Malvern, it was a bus, great range of goods and cheerful, polite staff.

I speak as I find, and while I've had my fair share moans about Warners over the years, I seriously doubt you'll find better organised shows. These days their operation is pretty slick. (y)

Malvern this week was an excellent show, they got the trade in, lots of punters and great entertainment. Was the grass too long? It might have been, can't say I ever thought about measuring it.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I concur with Jim. Have been to I guess 50 shows or more. Clods of mown grass are an absolute pain as it gets trodden in everywhere. Much better if a little long. Never had much to do with security although always get a lovely greeting when arriving as a marshal. They have a job to do, and in my humble opinion do it pretty well. When we had a person missing at Shepton two years back, they were very concerned and helpful, and when the missing person was found at the far end end of the showground, brought them back in a golf buggy to the medical centre to check all was OK. Another Shepton show we had a problem with a lively group of Funsters and security were called after midnight. They dealt with it with common sense, speaking with the marshals the next morning and asking us to reiterate the no noise rule. The following night, there was more noise, I got up to deal with it to find it was another club!

On another occasion at Norfolk, someone had to go out to the hospital and returned by taxi very late in the evening. Security led the taxi through the showground to get the casualty back to their van. Where we have had issues as marshals, (not often), discussion with the Warners staff have been helpful and responsive where they have the authority. Where appropriate we have then advised Jim.

Realistically, little to fault them.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I've been to more than 20 Warner's Peterborough shows. They always seem to have plenty of security on duty. I've often been spoken to by them around midnight. :blush:

On site showers on agricultural grounds are often very poor, luckily most of us have a shower in the van.

The pitches are never going to resemble a close mown caravan site pitch, it's an agricultural show ground and besides, 6 inch long grass in April is good, it gives you your best chance of not getting stuck in the famous Peterborough mud.

I remember them being let down by the shop, a couple of years ago I think it was a Covid issue, but then the following year it had changed hands, so could have been anything. I rarely use the shop, but I did at Malvern, it was a bus, great range of goods and cheerful, polite staff.

I speak as I find, and while I've had my fair share moans about Warners over the years, I seriously doubt you'll find better organised shows. These days their operation is pretty slick. (y)

Malvern this week was an excellent show, they got the trade in, lots of punters and great entertainment. Was the grass too long? It might have been, can't say I ever thought about measuring it.
I would lend you my tape Jim but it has numbers on it so no usešŸ¤£
Still never mind Peterbough will never be a problem again @Purrfectttune as itā€™s now gone so you can rest happy in the knowledge it will never happen againšŸ‘
That said are you organising a rally in the near future?

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Whatever happens with the grass, someone will complain. Either because itā€™s been cut, or because it hasnā€™t been cut.

At Malvern, friends of mine had seen a family being harassed for several minutes by a travellerā€™s child who wanted something one of their children had and wouldnā€™t take no for an answer but kept following them and pestering them.

In terms of thefts, I think itā€™s easy to feel false security on a rally field. I was at a show (not a Warners one) in 2023 when the neighbouring van had all the stake/display lights stolen overnight, and at another event where several people had parts stolen off of their vans.
Sadly I think it is easy for unscrupulous people. If you look brazen enough, and someone doesnā€™t actually know itā€™s not their own van theyā€™re messing with, itā€™s unlikely anyone would really even notice never mind try to stop it.

So Iā€™m generally careful with my van and what I let people easily see. But this is a good reminder to be watchful and take good care.

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We both witnessed at Malvern a stall holder shouting and running after a child of around 7 or 8 who walked off with a telescopic stool. The child handed it back when challenged while the parents just ignored the situation.
I guess the kid later got a thrashing for getting caught.
The family spoke with very strong Irish accents.

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
I accept that n

I accept that not being able to contact security is not ā€˜the normā€™ but as it was our first ever Warners show, it put us off for the future. Apparently the appropriate security guard had forgotten to charge the phones! (To be fair, head of security was very angry the next morning and appeared genuinely concerned).

Have not had similar issues anywhere else, this weekend we will be at CarFest for the fourth time.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Starting with the worst:

Not having security patrolling and available isnā€™t on.

Iā€™m just wondering do you have a motorhome as mine came with a toilet and shower šŸ˜‰šŸ˜Š

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When I was a teenager one of the local priests would tell the boys that if they had impure thoughts one of the things that he found helpful was to mow the lawn. Perhaps that year no-one had impure thoughts.

Must of had mucky minds at Retro this year.

Grass was nice and short šŸ˜‚

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Never been to one of these agricultural shows, not much call for them in Salford.
Anyway, HRH and i have said we should go to one, but NOT in the MH parked in a field.
Quite a few in the Cheshire area but again we never made the effort.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I respect the OPā€™s concerns and it is a shame that his ā€œbad for himā€ experience has tainted his view. I have been to many Warners shows and enjoyed all of them. Regrettably have twice bought new to me Motorhomes as well. Note to self: Keep hands in pockets and mouth shut. The problem is unfortunately ā€œexpectationā€. Showers & toilets we never use, long grass I like, short grass I hate. Security; I take the same precautions I would in the centre of Rome, London etc. never leave anything out and always fully lock & alarm the MoHo. Drunks: Yell ā€œShut the fā€¦. Upā€ as you would anywhere else. Unfortunately even Funsters can be absolute arā€¦ holes. And sadly often are. :mad:
OP, I hope you try again and have a better experience.
I will continue to go to shows when I can & now we are ba ck in the UK other Funster organised rallies as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back