All season/winter tyres (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi Guys

I am looking for varied opinions, as I know we all have opinions.

I am off to La Plange in snow season and looking for winter tyre advice, or indeed just to use chains prior to need.

I’ve driven before, but am acutely aware in a 6t MH catastrophe is always near…

I have brand new tyres on a Dethleffs 7871 tag axle, and I am weighing up getting a full set of Michelin cross climate xxx which will cost just over £1000….

Or do I just use what I have and use chains to do the final leg?? We will not be traveling about at high altitude, but I also appreciate weather at any altitude can change..

Any thoughts comments or advice to aid my decision?

Many thanks

Nick (previous funster now back)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’m surprised you can get 6 cross climates, for around 1k what size are your tyres…?

I’ve recently put maxxis all season on and very pleased but not tried in snow yet…🤔

Around £125 each…

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I’ve put continental cross climates very good in very wet conditions . IMG_0340.jpeg

OP
OP
Dereckerick
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I’m surprised you can get 6 cross climates, for around 1k what size are your tyres…?

I’ve recently put maxxis all season on and very pleased but not tried in snow yet…🤔

Around £125 each…
225/75/16 - Costco Tyres, they were about £160 each from memory

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Nankang AW8, £115 each fitted. Must have done over 6000 miles on them now and pleased with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CA

Nov 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Previously had Vredestein Comtrac - very good; many trips to the alps and through snow. Got stuck once at Tignes (along with everyone else!) and still needed chains. So always carry a set as backup. Generally the all season with 3 PMSF symbol tyres work well in snow I find, without the need for chains. I have the cheapest of cheapest set of chains….

This year I couldn’t get hold of more Vredestein so went for GT Radials all season. A friend has these in his camper for the last few years and also been through lots of snow and said they performed very well. I will find out this winter!

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve just put GT radials all season on £130 each did a lot of investigating before I brought them as I’ve never heard of the make, turns out they’re the 11th biggest tyre producer in the world and have testing office at Mira test track and also research facilities in Germany. Guy at my local tyre fitters had nothing but good word for the brand

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Caravanned for 30 years, nearly two years in with the motorhome.
Fitted Michelin All Season Camper tyres which replaced the original Michelin Agilis last year. Slush and ice over Easter at le Deux Alpes, lots of wet and dry motorways this year. So lots of varied conditions and no issues found. Good traction on wet grass and having the correct tyres for the season has also given me confidence that I'm prepared for freezing temperatures with improved grip. Quite aggressive tyre pattern which has made the Agilis look more like slicks?. Not cheap though.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Nankang AW8, £115 each fitted. Must have done over 6000 miles on them now and pleased with them.

Some decent deals around on these!
Picking up on what the not-Glasgow fella said:tounge: on another thread fitted the same in April this year (price had gone up to £121 fully fitted a corner). Same size as yours.

Very pleased with them as they give a "softer" ride than the previously fitted Vanco Campers. Less road noise, as well.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I have Michelin Alpin full winter tyres. I always think cross climates are a compromise. Needed snow chains once in Sweden in November when I got stuck across the road doing a 3 point turn. The back of the van was lower than the front so no weight on the front wheels but the chains instantly fixed the problem.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I changed to Imperial snow dragon 215/75R16 winter tyres .Belgian made - 10,000k kms so far & look unused. excellent in rain .
I bought 2 & 2 online as one place only had 2 .320 in total +60€ to fit & balance.
No idea if available in UK?
I always carry chains as well

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I changed to Imperial snow dragon 215/75R16 winter tyres .Belgian made - 10,000k kms so far & look unused. excellent in rain .
I bought 2 & 2 online as one place only had 2 .320 in total +60€ to fit & balance.
No idea if available in UK?
I always carry chains as well
You have to carry chains cos you never know when you're going to need them. Have you had to use yours in anger?

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
No, the use of M+S tires in France is not banned, but the regulations for winter tires are changing:

• Winter tire regulations
    From November 1 to March 31, winter tires in France must be marked with the 3PMSF (Alpine) symbol. This replaces the previous M+S (mud and snow) marking. All-season tires must also have the 3PMSF marking.

• Snow chains
    Drivers can use snow chains on at least two powered wheels.

• Penalties
    Drivers who don't use the required equipment could face a fine, car immobilization, and confiscation of their registration document.

• Local administration
    Drivers can check the websites of the local administration or road safety for more information.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back