Alde heating fluid (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 4, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
Hi all,

I'm getting a lot of differing prices for replacing the Alde fluid in the heating system as the van is now just over 5 years old.. Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to what I can expect to pay. Have a great weekend one and all

Jun 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I had mine done 2 years ago on a caravan at the dealers and they charged £170 not much different to a MOHO I would think.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Hi all,

I'm getting a lot of differing prices for replacing the Alde fluid in the heating system as the van is now just over 5 years old.. Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to what I can expect to pay. Have a great weekend one and all
Personally I would go to Alde headquarters as they work on these systems every single day and are in my opinion the best option 👍
Sorted out a few problems we had in a previous van in minutes compared to months of incompetence by the supplying dealers 🤬⚠️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
I would also reccomend Alde at Wellingborough. They have all the parts if anything needed but more importantly they have the knowledge. Whatever you do make sure you get it priced before you go anywhere. From memory, Travelworld wanted the best part of £1,000 over a year ago!!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not to us they didn’t, we just paid £440.04 no discount for returning customers

IMG_1984.jpeg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I’ll post our bill later yours was exactly £44 cheaper than ours David. The Carthago in the time as us who are also members on here charged exactly the same too.

I reckon Alde will issue a credit if you ring and ask , I don’t think I got special treatment 🤔😁

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Not for an A class
They charged me at alde £327 for fluid change and fitted a outside temp gauge in all they did a full check on everything which took 3 hours and we stayed over free with full leccy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can't understand why Alde charge so much.
The "antifreeze" is the same stuff used by VW.... It's type/grade G13 .
Alde have the correct equipment for draining and filling which is performed in one go.... Old out, new in at the same time.
I bet the whole process takes no more than 30 minutes.
If the fluid costs £50 that's around £600 an hour.
Wish I'd invented their system.

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I can't understand why Alde charge so much.
The "antifreeze" is the same stuff used by VW.... It's type/grade G13 .
Alde have the correct equipment for draining and filling which is performed in one go.... Old out, new in at the same time.
I bet the whole process takes no more than 30 minutes.
If the fluid costs £50 that's around £600 an hour.
Wish I'd invented their system.
They push the old fluid out with the new fluid eradicating all the air in the system. They also gave me 2 litres spare

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
They push the old fluid out with the new fluid eradicating all the air in the system. They also gave me 2 litres spare
They also did a software update on my panel to the new 3030 colour panel 👍

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
They will be giving out a lot of discounts if they do this as mine was also £440.04 on the 19/07/2024 for my Tag axle which they said was a real pita to do :) and in there for over 5 hours.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Not too complicated to do it yourself with a couple of containers and a pump with hoses connected to the expansion tank. Fresh fluid in one tank pumped in and the other pipe fills the waste tank. If you want to flush, do it twice, with the first using a couple of gallons of distilled water. Pump through till it runs clear, then pump in the fresh fluid till it runs out pink/purple.

Takes 20 to 30 minutes per flush.

Then do a visual inspection of all pipes and fittings. Drain air and run the system before topping up. What Alde do on top is plug in their computer and run tests plus update the firmware. You are also paying for the environmentally safe disposal of the used/contaminated antifreeze

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Not too complicated to do it yourself with a couple of containers and a pump with hoses connected to the expansion tank. Fresh fluid in one tank pumped in and the other pipe fills the waste tank. If you want to flush, do it twice, with the first using a couple of gallons of distilled water. Pump through till it runs clear, then pump in the fresh fluid till it runs out pink/purple.

Takes 20 to 30 minutes per flush.

Then do a visual inspection of all pipes and fittings. Drain air and run the system before topping up. What Alde do on top is plug in their computer and run tests plus update the firmware. You are also paying for the environmentally safe disposal of the used/contaminated antifreeze
If it takes someone that knows that are doing 5 hours to do the job then, for me, you can multiply that by at least 3 if not more, it is expensive, but I wouldn't want to do that myself. When I was there back in 2019 it was only £150 so it has gone through the roof that's for sure.

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
Another vote for Alde hq.
They charged 400 ish, got the heating working fully for the first time in 4 years from new. Cured a leak by fitting a new automatic bleed valve, stripped the burner, identified a broken weld refused to replace it and explained why, and took 4 hours. Oh and gave us a 2litre bottle of premix.
Mobile caravan / motorhome fitters, though advertising they could turned out to be unwilling.
This on a 2016 Hymer with underfloor heating.
Any body is quite at liberty to try diy, but in my experience as a competent diyer I didn't fancy it.
It is the relationship between cost and value. Yes the cost appears high but the outcome was very satisfactory.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If it takes someone that knows that are doing 5 hours to do the job then, for me, you can multiply that by at least 3 if not more, it is expensive, but I wouldn't want to do that myself. When I was there back in 2019 it was only £150 so it has gone through the roof that's for sure.
£150 would be a reasonable price to expect. Obviously no 2 vehicles are the same and many motorhome manufacturers adapt the basic layout to fit their design. In some cases this leads to loops that cause airlocks that can take an age to find and purge. Alde are great at diagnosing issues and finding a fix for such vans

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
What I don’t get is when they did mine in June they connected there machine and pushed out the old fluid till the new fluid came out. Then they checked for air blockers in the system mine was fine. Then alde supplied me with outdoor sensors fitted it . Then they did a software update that I asked for and basically changed mine to a 3030 boiler IE changed my panel to the coloured panel . £327 fitted all in !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, that's the heating fluid.
It can be changed manually but it's a difficult job.
Draining the hot water is do harder than draining the fresh tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back