Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 3, 2016
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
since 2008
Getting the ferry across from Poole in a couple of weeks time. Has anyone got any suggestions of overnight stops within a hours drive from Cherbourg port. We normally do the tunnel and have our usual places to stay but haven't done Cherbourg for many years.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Not an aire, but worth keeping note of is the site at Raids, about an hour from the port. British owners and hard standing pitches,
Camping Le Clos Castel

Le Clos Castel, 494 Route De Periers, Raids, Normandy 50500

OP
OP
B
Jan 3, 2016
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
since 2008
Hi thanks for the info. I am waiting to hear if they have space for us. It sounds like a lovely spot so fingers crossed.

Anne

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This one’s not far from Cherbourg
1723284854417.png

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Getting the ferry across from Poole in a couple of weeks time. Has anyone got any suggestions of overnight stops within a hours drive from Cherbourg port. We normally do the tunnel and have our usual places to stay but haven't done Cherbourg for many years.
If you need an overnight stop before your ferry give The Bakers Arms a call. Lovely local overnight pub stop. Failing that the Poole rugby club ground in Hamworthy is good and possibly Lake Pier in Hamworthy. And you can also stay overnight at the port too. We are crossing next Thursday but only live 1 mile away from the port so a lie in for us 🤣🤣

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We stopped here first night, about an hour from cherbourg one of our favourite

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If you need an overnight stop before your ferry give The Bakers Arms a call. Lovely local overnight pub stop. Failing that the Poole rugby club ground in Hamworthy is good and possibly Lake Pier in Hamworthy. And you can also stay overnight at the port too. We are crossing next Thursday but only live 1 mile away from the port so a lie in for us 🤣🤣
We stopped at the port, don't pay the cafe as its free and they just trying it on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Failing that the Poole rugby club ground in Hamworthy is good and possibly Lake Pier in Hamworthy
I did an overnight at the rugby club last year on the way home although I see from P4N that it's reputedly a local trouble spot. We found it quiet enough. Lake Pier, according to a 2015 shot from GoogleEarth says 'no overnight camping'. I suspect Hamworthy Park may have the same prohibition. Can you clarify for these two?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I did an overnight at the rugby club last year on the way home although I see from P4N that it's reputedly a local trouble spot. We found it quiet enough. Lake Pier, according to a 2015 shot from GoogleEarth says 'no overnight camping'. I suspect Hamworthy Park may have the same prohibition. Can you clarify for these two?
I see a fair few vans leaving the rugby club so looks like it still ok. Lake Pier is technically no overnighting but people do however there’s a few longstayers there at the moment and the locals are complaining. Hamworthy park is also no overnight and has a very narrow entrance. The Bakers Arms is lovely and they do very good food. A little further out, near Wool is a roundabout near the Dorset Police HQ. Off the roundabout is a tarmac carpark that is a quiet overnight stop. The Police do use it as an overflow in the daytime but aren’t concerned at all.

OP
OP
B
Jan 3, 2016
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the info and lucky for you living 1 hour from Poole. We have a bit of a trek coming from the Isle of Man so a 4 hour ferry before we start. We are taking a leisurely trip down through Wales as we have never visited that part of the country. Enjoy your trip where ever you are heading. 😎😎

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the info and lucky for you living 1 hour from Poole. We have a bit of a trek coming from the Isle of Man so a 4 hour ferry before we start. We are taking a leisurely trip down through Wales as we have never visited that part of the country. Enjoy your trip where ever you are heading. 😎😎
And you too. We have nothing booked as yet 🙈. Just going for a leisurely mooch.

Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Not sure if you will need any facilities but we were at Barfleur just the other week, it was a fabulous parking spot just for camping cars & less than 5 minute walk to centre of Barfleur which was a beautiful unspoilt fishing port with restaurants & bars. There was a great coastal path for walks & 200yards away a campsite to service van 4euros I think. We found it on S4S check it out, we loved it.

OP
OP
B
Jan 3, 2016
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
since 2008
Thank you I will make a note in case we head that way. We were thinking of heading South first but how far South is the question. Depends on the weather but we will be gently pottering along as we don't like to travel more than a couple of hours with our dog on board. Little Gnasher likes a few pit stops. 😆😆Does anyone out there have any suggestions for vets in the area please for the return trip.?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you I will make a note in case we head that way. We were thinking of heading South first but how far South is the question. Depends on the weather but we will be gently pottering along as we don't like to travel more than a couple of hours with our dog on board. Little Gnasher likes a few pit stops. 😆😆Does anyone out there have any suggestions for vets in the area please for the return trip.?
We've used La Fleche a few times, very good.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
We do that three or four times a year normally, and have <1 hour favourites, depending whether we just want a stop, or are looking for something more (like a quiet beer). Have a look at Fervaches (the community supply a barbecue), Guilberville (just a patch of ground a spit from the autoroute); Saint Fromond (by a canal); Isigny-sur-Mer (also by water, nice town a short walk); Blainville-sur-Mer; Villediu-Les-Poeles (teriffic visit to bell foundry); Avranches ('orrible sloping aire with stunning views). There are lots more, especially nearer Cherbourg, and along the Normandy Beaches.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If heading south we use Lassay free Aire , free with water , nearby laundrette and supermarkets (Lidl and Intermarche)
1723617814691.png

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Camping Muicipal, St. Mère Eglise.

Good site, reasonably priced and easy walk to town centre and excellent WWll museum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back