Airbag light on. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

hunttops

Free Member
Aug 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 740
Hi all my Battery went flat on my Motorhome and after restarting the airbag light is lit, went for MOT today and the garage cannot remove the fault it shows ECM Internal fault, obviously it failed its MOT any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi all my Battery went flat on my Motorhome and after restarting the airbag light is lit, went for MOT today and the garage cannot remove the fault it shows ECM Internal fault, obviously it failed its MOT any help would be greatly appreciated.
There are a number of threads on this subject on here. If your search for airbag ECU you should find them.
eg https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/airbag-ecu-problems.255943/#post-4856356

Basically, and assuming it's a FIAT Ducato or sister model, the low voltage battery has caused a problem with the airbag ECU. This can sometimes be reflashed but on other occasions it's a new unit required.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome!
This crops up on here almost every week and is a known issue when the battery voltage is low.
If you put 'Airbag' in the Search box you'll get loads of threads. Here's just one...........

To give you an idea as to how common this is here's thread from just yesterday...

Last edited:

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I had an airbag on my bench for months testing and researching it. No obvious signs of any failed components but the data on the chip was scrambled. Discussing with friends in the industrial electronics business, the conclusion is that the board is made down to a price where the components are unreliable. In fact the board appears to be made to accept more than one set of components to be used in other vehicles.

You can try having a known good set of data flashed to the chip, but it cannot be guaranteed to fix the issue long term. If the design fault that is creating the failure is still present it becomes a safety issue. Fiat have now started using an updated version but for obvious reasons have decided to not make this an official recall. Best option is to buy a new airbag ecu and proxy align it to pair to the vehicle

Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
20+ years in 1990 VW T3 and Florida. Hymer now...
Fiat have now started using an updated version but for obvious reasons have decided to not make this an official recall
TheBig1 When I bought my hymer, the ecu had just been replaced due to this error. Do you know if the part number changed? I'm wondering if replacement ecu's have the redesign?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
TheBig1 When I bought my hymer, the ecu had just been replaced due to this error. Do you know if the part number changed? I'm wondering if replacement ecu's have the redesign?
yes it did, but can't remember the codes at present. It is mentioned on the forum in one or more of the threads

Some people have replaced 3 or more times

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I am pretty useless when it comes to vehicleb7t managed to change it myself so fairly easy sent it off to crash data, needed new unit, they coded it I refitted it no problem.

Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
20+ years in 1990 VW T3 and Florida. Hymer now...
TheBig1 Thanks for taking the trouble to find this out. I'll see which part they fitted. Cheers

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Dwg.Fiat: 01390298080 Old version

Dwg.Fiat: 00046858203

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements