Air suspension on a 3.5 ton license (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
ford rimor
Hi guys I own a ford Rimor and want to upgrade the suspension to air bags but only have 3.5 ton license is it a possibility or will I have to go for my c1 license if we do? Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
No reason why air bags would require an upgrade in the weight of the vehicle UNLESS you actually start carrying more weight that pushes the vehicle over 3500kg.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
And they don’t add a lot of weight as you are replacing rather than adding parts. The increase shouldn’t be more than 5-10kgs (estimate)

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I would echo the comments above and would add that I've just bought some for my PVC (not fitted them yet) and after a fair bit of research I ended up getting mine from Martech.

I got really responsive and helpful service from them when asking for help choosing the right system and they supplied a nicely packed kit containing everything you need to fit it and it arrived very promptly.

When choosing, be aware that not all air bags are the same, some are rated higher than others and there are different levels of quality that you can pay for too. Martech do an entry level one, the Rubena ones and also their own branded Martech ones. Other vendors may offer similar choices.

Seeing as I still have it all in the box and that Ridgeway brought up the weight I can confirm that mine weighs 10.2 KG (with all the packaging) - so I'd say full marks for the estimate!

Mine are the 5 ton system for Relay/Ducato/Boxer with Martech bags which I'm guessing will probably weigh a little bit more than some of the other systems, but it's not going to have a huge impact.

I also went for the independently controlled airbags so they can be used as a rudimentary levelling system - but that means more pipework and more controls so will also add a small amount of weight.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Air bags MIGHT enable you to increase your weight to C1 license territory i.e. above 3500, but it won't actually increase unless you get all the necessary paperwork done with the DVLA.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back