Air fryer or oven (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Fun Camper 5
Our new-to-us moho has no oven. Old van had 'proper' Thetford 3-ring/grill/oven cooker, which was regularly used to the full. How do other funsters manage with typical European galley configuration?

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We use a 900w air fryer, low wattage induction hob and a toaster which can all be used from the inverter ( one at a time). Those combined with the 3 ring gas hob and the Cadac 2 cook pro are more than sufficient for our requirements.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
This van has no oven, we have always used a remoska when on hook up, I would like to remove the microwave we rarely use, would prefer the storage, seriously thinking of getting small air fryer to take with us. Was dead set against them till i got persuaded/browbeaten into getting one, not a ninja as i think they are overpriced. Am amazed at how much we use it, and the range of uses. Rarely use oil in it tend to do french fries if john wants chips, and most foods cook with little or no oil.
Know the microwave space is not suitable as not enough airflow. Just need to find a lowish wattage one which will fit the storage space we have for carrying it.
For when off hook up can with a bit of jiggling, use the cadac to cook most things, have 3 hob all gas.
Until i got the airfryer, would never have considered anything other than my remoska, will still take it though.
Not enough battery power to use off grid and would cost a fortune to replace everything needed to use lithium.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Until a gas air fryer is available I'll stick with my LPG cooker having 4 burners, grill and oven since I rarely use EHU and don't want or need the expense of installing solar and a lithium system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
How do other funsters manage with typical European galley configuration?

Plan simple meals that do not require more than two rings. :LOL:

I'm on holiday which means I do not want to be dealing with multiple pots, pans and the associated mess and subsequent washing up.
See this thread: "Emergency" motorhome meals

Upvote 0
May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
We are in the same boat. We are looking to get a new van and this topic is exactly what we can't decide on either. We love the oven, and don't currently have an inverter. So the new van would have to install one. I honestly think it's a good idea however, the wife and I are nearly 50 years old and therefore we don't like changes :) But I think that's the way we are going.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We are in the same boat. We are looking to get a new van and this topic is exactly what we can't decide on either. We love the oven, and don't currently have an inverter. So the new van would have to install one. I honestly think it's a good idea however, the wife and I are nearly 50 years old and therefore we don't like changes :) But I think that's the way we are going.
Thatā€™s no age! Weā€™re in our late 50ā€™s and adapted finešŸ‘

Upvote 0
May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
Airfryer for us 100% and I have two, one for home, one for away. We are relatively new to Mhoming, so only use EHU as not adventurous enough yet to off grid so not a problem. The original fitted oven is redundant apart for storage!šŸ™„šŸ¤£ Been toying with having oven removed, anyone done this? šŸ¤”

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Before we swapped from previous van with oven, grill and microwave to existing van with just two burners we closely examined every meal we cooked and uses we made of the microwave etc. we had only used the oven once. We decided we could cope and adapt. Three years on, no regrets at all. We cook from scratch and we do have a Remoska if on hook up, which is less and less. My biggest problem is baking bread. We donā€™t have an air fryer at home either. Not really sure would I would cook in them that I canā€™t do on the hob.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you have storage space for it, I bought one of these which works really well.

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We bought an air fryer for home a few months ago as its so much easier than faffing around with the main oven and then bought a smaller air fryer for the van, it fits in a box in the garage (under the bed and accessible from inside the van). We don't cook in the van that often and have only opened the oven door to secure the shelves with tea towels to stop the rattles. We much prefer to grab a takeaway or the odd pub meal in a dog friendly pub.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Excuse my ignorance, but is an air fryer not a fan assisted oven?
Yes it is a conventional convection oven, just smaller. It does not 'fry' anything and calling it an air fryer is just yet another marketing strategy (which seems to have worked very well). They are quicker than your oven at home because they are smaller. I bought one for ā‚¬60 and so far it has served me well.
That said, for MH applications they may be a good idea if no oven is fitted?
I have one in the van and find it perfect for cooking just about anything. I think the important catch is the power it uses and of course it's 240v. I do not use it at night, but for lunch it's fine because you recuperate the power with the solar panel or just run the engine for 15 minutes.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We are just about to remove our tech tower and fit a large compressor fridge, this will also remove the gas oven on the top,
Once the new fridge is fitted we will then decide wether to fit a microwave or a low wattage oven, but have recently discovered air fryers so will hang fire until we are certain as we have never used the top gas oven in any of our vans.
I am leaning towards microwave?

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
We are just about to remove our tech tower and fit a large compressor fridge, this will also remove the gas oven on the top,
Once the new fridge is fitted we will then decide wether to fit a microwave or a low wattage oven, but have recently discovered air fryers so will hang fire until we are certain as we have never used the top gas oven in any of our vans.
I would say you are leaning towards an 'air fryer'. Microwave ovens are no good for cooking, I don't care what anyone says, they are only good for reheating. I know there are millions of recipes for cooking in a microwave, but if you enjoy good food don't bother.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I would say you are leaning towards an 'air fryer'. Microwave ovens are no good for cooking, I don't care what anyone says, they are only good for reheating. I know there are millions of recipes for cooking in a microwave, but if you enjoy good food don't bother.
We could possibly use the space for a bigger wattage air fryer as I say the jury is out at the moment as we never use ehušŸ™‚

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
We could possibly use the space for a bigger wattage air fryer as I say the jury is out at the moment as we never use ehušŸ™‚
That will depend on your available power obviously. Mine is 1000W but only on start up, so uses a little less while running and I have a 2000W inverter which can handle it nicely.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
We removed our large fridge freezer and fitted a compressor fridge freezer but a bit littler, left just enough above to fit a microwave.
Works really well as theres loads of ventilation behind from the depth of original fridge

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
air fryer for us .... no need to use EHU if you have a decent lithium and inverter, plus some way of recharging the battery

havent used the oven for 12 months and unlikely to use it ....

we also have a microwave, that compliments the air fryer, plus several other electrical cooking appliances --- and thats where the benefits of spending your money on lithium rather than an oven, start to make more sense

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
air fryer for us .... no need to use EHU if you have a decent lithium and inverter, plus some way of recharging the battery

havent used the oven for 12 months and unlikely to use it ....

we also have a microwave, that compliments the air fryer, plus several other electrical cooking appliances --- and thats where the benefits of spending your money on lithium rather than an oven, start to make more sense
Or a decent power bank.

Free 240v is always good.
Compressor fridge reducing gas use even more

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
The original fitted oven is redundant apart for storage!šŸ™„šŸ¤£ Been toying with having oven removed, anyone done this? šŸ¤”

In my previous van, the oven was "the" storage for kitchen roll, clean tea towels, anything that wouldn't make a noise against the metal inside!

On my current van I had the dealer remove the grill before I took delivery, and they lined out the space with thin ply that matched the rest of the van and gave me an extremely useful additional cupboard (the grill was mounted behind a door, so there was no need to add anything on the front). By having the dealer do it I felt I did not need to worry about capping off the gas supply.

Never regretted it or missed the grill.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back