Advice Please - How to Remove Adhesive (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am going to replace one of the plastic strips on the driver's door of our Ducato PVC which has been damaged. I've obtained a replacement and have now removed the old one. The strip has a line of adhesive foam along the top of it which in some places has come away from the paint but in other places it is still firmly stuck to the paint.

With my fingernail I can slowly remove the foam but it leaves a sticky residue behind.

So the question is: What's the best way to clean it off?

A look on line suggests a number of alternatives. A heat gun and a plastic bladed scraper might work and you can also get various solvents described as "sticky stuff remover". One video even suggests WD40. I haven't tried anything yet as protecting the paint is paramount of course.

Has anyone done this successfully and if so how? :)

PXL_20240311_161820566.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the replies. I haven't got any meths but we do have a small bottle of 96% alcohol in the medicine cabinet. I gave this a quick try and it does work. I'll get some meths tomorrow and give it a go although I suspect it will be slow work although if I can borrow a heat gun it should speed things up. :)

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
I am going to replace one of the plastic strips on the driver's door of our Ducato PVC which has been damaged. I've obtained a replacement and have now removed the old one. The strip has a line of adhesive foam along the top of it which in some places has come away from the paint but in other places it is still firmly stuck to the paint.

With my fingernail I can slowly remove the foam but it leaves a sticky residue behind.

So the question is: What's the best way to clean it off?

A look on line suggests a number of alternatives. A heat gun and a plastic bladed scraper might work and you can also get various solvents described as "sticky stuff remover". One video even suggests WD40. I haven't tried anything yet as protecting the paint is paramount of course.

Has anyone done this successfully and if so how? :)

View attachment 874042
I have successfully used HG sticker remover on my MH I've even used it to remove tar from carpet!

Reactions: DBK
Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Hairdryer to soften, plastic scraper to gently remove foam then trial and error with ‘sticky stuff remover’(👍), panel wipe, meths and petrol is usually my last resort!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Hairdryer to soften it, followed by WD40 and a credit card type thing to gently ease it off then a clean up with more WD40 has worked well for me.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Apologies for the delay updating but after a day of rain I had a go at removing the glue yesterday.

After a few trials white spirit did the job. It needed an old credit card to help but with each application and a scrape with the card the glue slowly came away.

I cleaned it up afterwards with methelated spirits and the replacement panel has now fitted quite well. It hasn't quite stuck at the bottom but I'll have a go sticking it down with an adhesive. I've ordered some "Sticks Like Sh*t" from our local Screwfix. :)

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I've been using this stuff for years to get labels and glue off different things including paper, plastic and glass. Its probably what you were referring to in your original post. Its approx. £7 on Amazon;

De.Solv.it® Sticky Stuff® Remover Liquid​

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If it's still available and no idea where you can get it but I remember using carbon tetrachloride methane
Stunk real bad and I suspect you will need mask but it will work.
No idea if it will take the paint with it though !

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Seriously though, these are brilliant. I’ve used them on loads of glue residues. They don’t damage paintwork at all.
Tucana Gear Design Eraser Wheel, Adhesive & Decal Removal Tool - Removes Scratches, Decals, Tape & Graphics on Car, RVs, Boat & Trucks - 4" Diameter with Drill Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8493321/?tag=mhf04-21
Those do work well, I've used one to restore the headlights on the van but I couldn't use it in the bottom corner of the door where the most difficult residue was.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And for anyone going across to France this year, firstly we have this product.
Its what we used to use in dry cleaners.
IMG_20240315_214125.jpg

Thanks to Health and Safety it's banned here in the UK but readily available in France and it removes, amongst other things anything adhesive.
Secondly, have a look in the 'household' section for this product. They are bleach tablets. Much safer than the liquid stuff. Just add to fresh water.
IMG_20240315_214749.jpg

Lastly, and unfortunately I don't have a photo, in the same 'household' section, the French sell large, almost translucent blocks of soap, usually with the name 'Marseille' thereon.
Its the French version of those blocks of 'Fairy' or 'Sunlight' only better at cleaning ground in dirt in clothing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back