Advice on early retirement - who's done it? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
If you are really tired with work, depending on your job can you not go on a sabbatical, to really find out if it’s just a long holiday you need or you are really at the stage in your life to call it a day.
I have done the above, and have taken the sabbatical then went back to work and handed my notice in at 62 and have never looked back.
Good luck and enjoy life, like a lot of people on this forum we are the wrong side of 50.

I could take a sabbatical but i don't need to to know Im tired of working, still looking into it but Im resigned to continuinjg working until 60 now quite honestly.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I could take a sabbatical but i don't need to to know Im tired of working, still looking into it but Im resigned to continuinjg working until 60 now quite honestly.

How about changing jobs.

I retired six times but went on to do something different, all of which I enjoyed so did not seem like work.

My last job was driving VW T4/5 minibuses for a travel company all over England and Wales. Thoroughly enjoyed it and gave me the opportunity to view several MHs.

I never continued in a job I did not enjoy.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
How about changing jobs.

I retired six times but went on to do something different, all of which I enjoyed so did not seem like work.

My last job was driving VW T4/5 minibuses for a travel company all over England and Wales. Thoroughly enjoyed it and gave me the opportunity to view several MHs.

I never continued in a job I did not enjoy.
Not an option, Im stuck in this role now until retirement, the only change would be same job different place which brings extra hassle to be honest.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Not an option, Im stuck in this role now until retirement, the only change would be same job different place which brings extra hassle to be honest.
I felt that way but it is certainly not true.
We are not slaves.

If the job is not for you, then change is a sensible solution, however difficult it may seem.

Your health (physical and mental) must be your priority.

Talk to your employer, speak to your friends and family (and get in touch with an IFA, retirement may be a possibility...)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I retired at 55 and Nick at 60, we always wanted to retire as young as we could. My Mum dead at 55 and both Dads dead at 61. We have 3 wonderful children so finances meant it couldn’t happen earlier! No regrets at at. My younger sister dying suddenly at 60 recently confirmed that we made the right decision. It’s time you can’t buy.

I’m 65 and Nick 69 but his joints are starting to play up, intermittently but it’s a reminder that the serious travelling needs to be sooner rather than later. New van bought on the first August, daughter got married on Saturday. Youngest son moving into first flat in Glasgow on Wednesday. 2 month tour in 2 weeks time. Trips to Panama over the winter to visit newly married daughter and her husband, they’re in the FCDO. Spending money is easy!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back