Adventure starts here! but apparently slowly… (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
currently looking
Hi, well I’m just at the start of my adventure, currently looking for a van to convert into a camper. Thought it was going to be fun but it’s turning into a complete headache! Aside from all the ‘experts’ offering non stop helpful advice, which seems to usually consist of “Ooo you don’t wanna do that…” and “Don’t buy one of those” etc etc, it’s a complete minefield even choosing the right base van. So far after three months I’ve got absolutely nowhere! Really hoping someone on here can give me sound advice! I’m looking for a Nissan NV200. It’s the right size for me. I want to fit a pop top and all the usual campervan necessaries. The latest ‘expert’ has told me that the 1.5 diesel engine won’t be man enough for the uphill slogs. I’ve seen loads of NV conversions online though. Can someone advise; is the engine up to the job. Frustrated of Somerset!😄

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Whatever you build will always be a compromise between size and how much stuff you need in it .
What you are looking at does seem to be at the bottom of the size wise which is very handy for parking in small places but is it large enough for you to want to live in it.
Personly I couldn't manage without a toilet and shower which I don't think you would get in your choice of van and would go for something a bit larger.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have you thought about how you're likely to use it in terms of only on sites or off sites as well how often and at what times of year. How many people and how much stuff you're likely to take. All those will have a bearing on what you need to build in and what size vehicle you're going to have to start with.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We had a non turbo 1.6 VW T2.5, you almost needed to get out and run around the back to give it push going up any sort of a hill.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just accept that you will make mistakes and it will never be perfect but as long as it suits your needs and does the job then what the heck. Just have fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Hi, and welcome Zummersetbee !

I'm just starting my second van conversion - so I know exactly where you're coming from.

I spent 4 months looking for a van and ended up having to up my budget to get one.

I've also looked at things around those dimensions (for other reasons) and the Nissan NV200 just doesn't really come up very often.

I'm now leaning towards the Mercedes Vito. Had one before and they're great little vans. Might be one to consider. Size is about right.

As for 'power' - depends on how much of a hurry you're in and how much extra weight you're going to add to it.

Small van, keep it simple, keep it light.

I used to camp in a 2CV back in the late 90's. Passenger seat removed, camp mat on the floor. DIY window blinds, trangia, sleeping bag. That was about it.

No good in cold weather really, but had some good fun travelling slowly all over Europe in the summer months.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
NV200...... Forget it unless you just want a day van.

Nissan NV200 (09-19) payload, weight & towing​

3 out of 53.0
Overall payload for the NV200 is 750kg. The electric e-NV200's payload is actually slightly higher at 770kg courtesy of extra strengthening to accomodate its heavy batteries.

The weight of convertion and two people will probably exceed that before adding a tank of fuel and water.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
I think there was a YouTuber (weebroonvan?) Who had an NV200 conversion.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
You will not be winning drag races, but that is not the intention, you are presumably touring/enjoying the journey, our van weighs 4.5t, has about double the frontal area of yours yet only has a 2.0lt engine, it will cruise all day at 60,and probably 70+ if I wanted and was happy to pay for the fuel.

There are thousands of those vans hammering up and down motorways all day long, I'm sure they would like more power but managed ok.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Of course it will go up a hill!

You won't be overtaking anyone, but does it matter?

My VW is only 102hp but it suffices.

Edited it to say, welcome to the forum. There was someone on here who converted a NV200 for the pair of them, they were into walking, biking and all sorts.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
It was activecampers

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Wohoo! Fame!
Yes, made NV200 campervan - video of it at end.
Performance was totally fine - just won't race up alpine passes, but normal driving it was perfect. The 5sp 89bhp is a simpler engine and really easy to drive, the 110bhp was a more complex engine. We went 89ps and it never felt under powered. (We did many mountain trips and up to the arctic circle)

We sold it on but miss it :( It was sold due to needing a van more suitable to "lounge" in as wife mobility was problematic, but just a few days ago we were chatting and saying how great it was.

Ignore above, it can be more than a day van - we did 6w trip in it mostly wildcamping - fridge, underslung water/waste (custom tanks), heating, fridge, lighting, all kit most vans have, loo, shower (yes,honest lol), electric bed, gas, 4 belted seats, enough battery for the duration. And fully kitted and loaded we were within the weight limits. So don't believe all the commends and DYOR.

For our 6w trip (Norway/Sweden) we took shedloads of food/wine etc for obvious reasons.

I think ours was the only one ever with a usable loo with the bed down, but yes other things compromised but we made it work and you clearly can't be prudish.

Yes, our current van is technically better and much better kitted and spacious, but the NV was superb and is missed.

Sad when it sold, but the buyers knew the van from our build/youtube and knew exactly what they were getting. I also know someone who copied my van so much I saw pics and thought it was mine!

My best advice: Ignore everyone who purports to be an expert or has an opinion and states facts. I had experts tell me the NV200 design was unsuitable/unviable, and our current van is designed wrong lol. We've 2500 campervan nights so fair to say we know what we like more than an internet stranger. The ONLY advice: Ask questions, listen to all responses, get ideas, and filter/research and filter and tune to you - you are unique and your requirements won't be the same as anyone elses. Budgets/skills/desires are unique to you. Many "build experts" are shocking in places so don't follow blindly. I'll tell you what we did and why, and not "this is how you should..."

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back