Adria compact chassis type (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
twin
So I’m looking at getting air suspension fitted in order to help with levelling and get rid of the appalling Ducato shocks (hopefully)
Looking at the Adria technical information it states
chassis =Special”
I’m considering the Alko air but they state Alko chassis!
Can anyone explain what special is in regards to the chassis?
Thanks

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
So I’m looking at getting air suspension fitted in order to help with levelling and get rid of the appalling Ducato shocks (hopefully)
“chassis =Special”
Thanks
Hi, try adjusting your tyre pressures and maybe your tyres before going to the expense of air suspension..
I, too have Ducato rear suspension and it is OK, but I have Continental tyres not Michelins.
Tyre pressure can make a huge difference to ride quality and 'bash/crash'.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The Alko is torrison bar suspension, it twists a bar against the natural spring in a metal held in a tube and one end has splines in to hold rigid, That is the expensive air suspension upgrade. It all depends what model Adria you are looking at, Fiat do the standard and camping car special which can be uprated to around 4000kg ( depends on tyres etc) which can have air suspension fitted or even a simple DIY job if you can read a page and use a spanner

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
“chassis =Special”
Thanks

You’ll be okay with the rear air designed for the standard Fiat installation, unless …..

you have the electric handbrake, when there might be additional work/items required. I’ll try to locate the thread where I installed the Dunlop rear air on mine.

Which year is the Compact and what engine and gearbox combination?

OP
OP
T
Oct 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
twin
You’ll be okay with the rear air designed for the standard Fiat installation, unless …..

you have the electric handbrake, when there might be additional work/items required. I’ll try to locate the thread where I installed the Dunlop rear air on mine.

Which year is the Compact and what engine and gearbox combination?
Thanks ,
2023 model electric handbrake
Auto box 140 hp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Thanks ,
Auto box 140 hp
You have to mount the gauges in the garage, mine are on the offside on the raised step. cant mount them in the cab with the automatic with the electric handbrake, use the white mesh vent to pass the air tubes into the garage

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Thanks ,
Auto box 140 hp

Here you go - post #46 on this thread:

Might want to check that whatever kit you use is equivalent specification/CoC to the Dunlop if you’re looking to up plate as well. Using VWE the Compact from the factory with the auto box, uprated front suspension, 300mm ventilated discs all round, and the 1250kg rated alloys with compatible CP tyres, it was possible to go to 4250kg - 1960kg front and 2400kg rear.

As you see from that thread I installed the gauges and valves in the rear as I personally don’t see the point of altering the pressure often, plus the dash position was already taken up by the Vanbitz alarm switches. If you really wanted to install gushes or even a compressor up front then the driver’s footwell panel might be an option.

BTW. I have a new twin gauge/valve panel going for half retail price.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
Thanks ,
Auto box 140 hpi
We have a 2024 140 auto Compact SL after a 640 SLB Twin, ours is high at the back and if we were really fussy we’d use ramps every time on level ground, apart from that I cannot get over how smooth and quiet it is after the Twin - it’s so smooth that nothing rattles, nothing unless I’m driving down a farm track, I can honestly say up to 70mph it’s pretty much as smooth and quiet as either of our cars - I’d have said that wasn’t possible if I hadn’t driven it.

OP
OP
T
Oct 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
twin
Here you go - post #46 on this thread:

Might want to check that whatever kit you use is equivalent specification/CoC to the Dunlop if you’re looking to up plate as well. Using VWE the Compact from the factory with the auto box, uprated front suspension, 300mm ventilated discs all round, and the 1250kg rated alloys with compatible CP tyres, it was possible to go to 4250kg - 1960kg front and 2400kg rear.

As you see from that thread I installed the gauges and valves in the rear as I personally don’t see the point of altering the pressure often, plus the dash position was already taken up by the Vanbitz alarm switches. If you really wanted to install gushes or even a compressor up front then the driver’s footwell panel might be an option.

BTW. I have a new twin gauge/valve panel going for half retail price.
Great info, one thing I’m still not clear about, when air suspension is fitted are the fiat shock absorbers removed or retained?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Great info, one thing I’m still not clear about, when air suspension is fitted are the fiat shock absorbers removed or retained?

The Fiat shocks and leaf springs are retained, the O/E bump stops are removed and the air bags substituted between them and the axle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If its full air suspension yes, the other type are air assist and you retain the shockers and the cart springs. They go where the bumps stops are fitted

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back