Adding extra panels. Can you just parellel link them? And inverters? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
My van im collecting sunday has a single factory fit Truma 100 watt lightweight flexible solar panel with associated solar controller. I want to add 2 more panels. Can I just daisy link these together to the last point before the power heads off down to the controller or is it a little more complicated than this so each panel doesn't throw power to other panels?

Also I have a single 110amp battery located under the floor. Its a 2021 van so all modern. Would I need to look deeper at the charging units etc before I swap it out to a Lithium battery?

Finally to add an inverter system do I tag that direct from the battery then back to the mains domestic unit with a switcher box to select on board inverter power or EHU? Or again is it a bit more complicated than this.

TIA.

DE696ACD-138C-4969-835E-49A2DDD61A78.jpeg

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
My van im collecting sunday has a single factory fit Truma 100 watt lightweight flexible solar panel with associated solar controller. I want to add 2 more panels. Can I just daisy link these together to the last point before the power heads off down to the controller or is it a little more complicated than this so each panel doesn't throw power to other panels?

Also I have a single 110amp battery located under the floor. Its a 2021 van so all modern. Would I need to look deeper at the charging units etc before I swap it out to a Lithium battery?

Finally to add an inverter system do I tag that direct from the battery then back to the mains domestic unit with a switcher box to select on board inverter power or EHU? Or again is it a bit more complicated than this.

TIA.
In theory you can add more panels, either in series or in parallel. However, you need to be aware of the issues faced when combining panels of different capacity. All panels in series operate at the amperage of the “smallest” panel in the array. All panels in parallel operate at the voltage of the smallest panel in the array. Once you know the specs of all the panels simply do the math.

Yes you do need to look at the charging systems, especially for larger lithium batteries.

For the inverter it’s more complex, for example it shouldn’t power the onboard charger (pretty obvious isn’t it) and also not a good idea to power an absorption fridge.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
For the inverter it’s more complex, for example it shouldn’t power the onboard charger (pretty obvious isn’t it)

Yes good point, I'd missed that it will try charging itself with its own power. That would end up a hell of a lot of lost power.

I may need to speak to one of the go to places and just get this pro done.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
You mention Daisy chaining panels together which would suggest a series connection, not parallel as your title indicates you are looking to achieve.

Series will give you higher voltage and lower amps, so you can use smaller diameter cabling, parallel will give you more amps and lower voltage. Both have pros and cons, do some googling to work out what you prefer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Check the output voltage of the panels if more that ½ volt different best to fit a seperate controller for max output.

With the inverter do not run it back to the consumer unit as you will then be powering the fridge & charger. If you want to power your exsisting sockets with it you need to fit a changeover switch o select mains in or inverter and only have the fridge & charger on the mains side.

Bear in mind when fitting an inverter unless you have Lithium you need at least (preferably more) 200 ah of batteries for every 500 watts.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Check the output voltage of the panels if more that ½ volt different best to fit a seperate controller for max output.

With the inverter do not run it back to the consumer unit as you will then be powering the fridge & charger. If you want to power your exsisting sockets with it you need to fit a changeover switch o select mains in or inverter and only have the fridge & charger on the mains side.

Bear in mind when fitting an inverter unless you have Lithium you need at least (preferably more) 200 ah of batteries for every 500 watts.
But can you use a larger inverter at lower wattage !?

For example, if you have 200ah of battery, if your inverter is 2000 watts. So long as you don't use more than 500 watts, that's ok ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back