Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
If I have an unknown solar panel and want to add another will I have any problems ?

can I tell what power output the existing panel is by the (actual) size of it ? or do I need to find the sticker on the underside of it (if I can) ?

The solar will supply lithium batteries, when I get around to having them installed.

Please don't ask me to use a multi meter, I'm a joiner LOL!!

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
If I have an unknown solar panel and want to add another will I have any problems ?

can I tell what power output the existing panel is by the (actual) size of it ? or do I need to find the sticker on the underside of it (if I can) ?

The solar will supply lithium batteries, when I get around to having them installed.

Please don't ask me to use a multi meter, I'm a joiner LOL!!
Can you get a mobile phone under the panel ?
If you can you can put the phone on video, move it around under the panel and hopefully video any stickers.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
If you measure the voltage and it’s similar to a new panel you could place them in parallel.
I wonder if an industrial endoscope camera could enable you to read the label.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Generally you should try to match panels to get the best out of them. Different panels can have different characteristics, depending on the type of cells within the panel. When joined in parallel, the voltage of the lowest panel drags the rest down.

I'm about to add a pair of 100w panels to an existing 175w. I know that the new panels produce about half a volt less at peak output and at open circuit. So I'm going to get about 95% of the power, only a small loss.

But bigger mismatches can sometimes mean that connecting an old panel to a new matched array of a few panels can decrease the efficiency so it's actually worse that just scrapping the old panel. The most efficient thing to do is to add another controller... But that means more holes in the roof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back