Adding an awning LED strip guide with pictures (20 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Saw one on a mates van and it gave off a great light, much better than my dismal attempt at a light above the door.

However, no way am I paying that for it. I therefore looked at Amazon and the same one virtually can be had for a tenner. I have used this brand before but the non waterproof version and have been impressed with the quality for the cost.

Amazon product ASIN B00HSF66JO
So it arrived and the first thought was how to get to the existing awning light cable, turns out very easily as I could just unscrew the control panel and there it was. Sorry but yes, I used scotchlocks. They are easy to get to if any issues so not that fussed about a bombproof connection.

220D0EB6-8094-419A-87DB-EA0CFCC6A4AA.jpeg

So once I knew where the cables were and how to route them, I stuck on the strip. It is self adhesive and a quality one at that. Avoid the cheaper versions, this one is 3M branded.

4260E21B-6775-4F63-A592-A91EAB00F832.jpeg

Literally just peel and push on, ensuring all bits are stuck.

617D684D-6E5D-4D0D-A812-32CEBAEEFC24.jpeg

Once you have reached where you want it to finish, just cut it to length across the marks and stick down. I used some silicone to seal the end to prevent water ingress where I cut it.

8985CA7C-9C34-4A77-8312-F1610796061A.jpeg

Then the scary bit of drilling a hole in the van. You don’t get a lot of cable on the end and I could only just crimp the cable on so keep this in mind.

0255C91E-EE67-4FC9-9E96-481C5AB6253A.jpeg

Once all crimped up and the cable was run I tested it and all working.

6DDF540E-81BA-4701-9174-D5998EAFE821.jpeg

The bed curtain hides the cable run except for the last few CM. This was annoying me, I also come to the conclusion I might want to switch the big light off and only have the smaller light on. So I added a switch that also hid the wires.

BC21A21A-89E0-48B1-AD84-979F414679D0.jpeg

It is a domestic switch but blends in and cost less than a fiver.

D0EF1D91-09CA-4516-AB39-934F784B8B62.jpeg

Finally tested it and all working. Took 30 minutes including putting the tools away. Sealed all up with silicone. I did consider sikaflex but the hole is very small. I also made sure I drilled in at an upward angle so water drips away from the van.

6267BD99-3EE0-41B6-B1F0-96EF2123E4C7.jpeg

In short, well chuffed for the money. Probably cost £14 all in for the bits.

Hope it’s useful for someone considering the same.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
How long have you had the tape switched on for? I bought some recently for under the kitchen cabinets and they are really bright. But they get hot, isn't a problem for me (hopefully) because I fitted it in alloy channel but your's might melt the glue and sag. I've never had good results using the sticky back, even on the first ones I bought in 2015. They were quite low power too (=low heat)

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have had the same ones inside and they don’t seem to run hot. I have heard of issues with them though so only time will tell.

The inside ones don’t seem to have come off yet. I have also never had problems with command hooks with the self adhesive 3M backing. I suppose time will tell.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
A good write up, we could do with some more picture instructions on upgrades especially on what some may consider A simple or easy job...

Only thing to look out for is that I find silicone shrinks after a while and could cause a break in the seal..

Well done on cost, I like a bargain as we all do..??

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A good write up, we could do with some more picture instructions on upgrades especially on what some may consider A simple or easy job...

Only thing to look out for is that I find silicone shrinks after a while and could cause a break in the seal..

Well done on cost, I like a bargain as we all do..??

Good point with the silicone. I will keep an eye out. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I used led strip on my last van awning using 5050 with 3m tape, or at least it said 3m. It was fine and never came off but the light faded over time.

On my new van, I did exactly the same job, again using the same 5050 with 3m tape but this time, I bought it from ATEN lighting.
Far superior light and adhesive, I wouldn’t look anywhere else after using their product.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We have a Thule one on the MoHo it is like Close Encounters when we switch it on, it is very bright :giggle:

The wiring is not exposed in the van its all hidden behind the panels and connects to the same switch as the over door light.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Top job although I've never had much luck with those LED strips. After about 12 months some of the groups of 3 LEDs always start to flicker.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Two options for hiding the wiring: use the thinnest white flex you can find and / or take power from the awning light so you don't have to drill a hole. You can feed power to the LED strip via any pair of +/- pads anywhere along the strip - doesn't have to be the end. Nice result. :smiley:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We have a Thule one on the MoHo it is like Close Encounters when we switch it on, it is very bright :giggle:

The wiring is not exposed in the van its all hidden behind the panels and connects to the same switch as the over door light.

I fitted the a dimmer to mine. Massive improvement as they were too bright as standard, with the added benefit that they can now be switched on with a remote.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Two options for hiding the wiring: use the thinnest white flex you can find and / or take power from the awning light so you don't have to drill a hole. You can feed power to the LED strip via any pair of +/- pads anywhere along the strip - doesn't have to be the end. Nice result. :smiley:

Never thought of tapping in the middle, though it would have been difficult to hide.

These are the waterproof strips with a silicone cover. I suppose you could peel it back, solder and then silicone seal it after.

All the good ideas come after the thing is fitted. Ha ha

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Top job although I've never had much luck with those LED strips. After about 12 months some of the groups of 3 LEDs always start to flicker.

You're right, I hope not. For a tenner though I can’t really complain as replacement will be easy.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Thats what I did when I fitted my waterproof led strip to the van..no external drilling needed. They do look good at night with the awning out or in

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I always think it makes the awning too bright, like a petrol station forecourt. The dimmer is a good idea though. Our awning light is the standard fitting with a warm white LED bulb in it. Uses virtually no power and gives the same light as a 10w bulb. ?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I had similar on my garage at home but they started to fail in areas, Next time I will go for IP67 ones in a silicone sleeve

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Strange that this subject should come up, here is another solution for certain circumstances that I read about last evening. I know it's only useful if you have an awning rail that is not already used...

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Just a little update on this old thread, been making the most of lockdown and sorting a few jobs out.

I used the offcut from the light to make a strip for below the door entrance and wired it to the switch just inside the door.

It failed miserably with water ingress, the one under the awning looks fine as I suspect it isn’t subject to the corrosion and salt spray low down that the other one is.

I have replaced it with similar but higher up, I may have to get a better quality strip if it’s to last.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Saw one on a mates van and it gave off a great light, much better than my dismal attempt at a light above the door.

However, no way am I paying that for it. I therefore looked at Amazon and the same one virtually can be had for a tenner. I have used this brand before but the non waterproof version and have been impressed with the quality for the cost.

So it arrived and the first thought was how to get to the existing awning light cable, turns out very easily as I could just unscrew the control panel and there it was. Sorry but yes, I used scotchlocks. They are easy to get to if any issues so not that fussed about a bombproof connection.

View attachment 389061

So once I knew where the cables were and how to route them, I stuck on the strip. It is self adhesive and a quality one at that. Avoid the cheaper versions, this one is 3M branded.

View attachment 389063

View attachment 389064

Once you have reached where you want it to finish, just cut it to length across the marks and stick down. I used some silicone to seal the end to prevent water ingress where I cut it.

View attachment 389066

Then the scary bit of drilling a hole in the van. You don’t get a lot of cable on the end and I could only just crimp the cable on so keep this in mind.

View attachment 389070

View attachment 389071

The bed curtain hides the cable run except for the last few CM. This was annoying me, I also come to the conclusion I might want to switch the big light off and only have the smaller light on. So I added a switch that also hid the wires.

View attachment 389073

View attachment 389074

Finally tested it and all working. Took 30 minutes including putting the tools away. Sealed all up with silicone. I did consider sikaflex but the hole is very small. I also made sure I drilled in at an upward angle so water drips away from the van.

View attachment 389075

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018

View attachment 389061

View attachment 389063

View attachment 389064

View attachment 389066

View attachment 389070

View attachment 389071

View attachment 389073

View attachment 389074

View attachment 389075

You did what I more or less did but using a length of 3volt LED string I had knocking about so bought a step down from 12 volt to 3 volt and used the internal wiring including the built in switch in the CBE control panel. I managed to drill a hole through near to where the mounting bolts are and then gave a good load of sealant to make sure no water gets in. A brilliant idea which my friend with his Hymer monster proudly showed me but cost him more than the tenner for the step-down by a lot more for the kit alone

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I recently fitted some LED strips in the kitchen at home, it wasn't until I had them fitted and connected that I realised that they change colour from Cool White, to White, To Warm white simply by toggling the on off switch. They are not IP65, just indoor ones, but just wondering if these are available in a waterproof version.
I think that ATEN Lighting supply LED strips in an ali channel specially for Awnings, I will have to have a word with my mate Paul Two on Tour as he has fitted 2 sets to inner & outer rails on his awning, including a dimmer switch of course.(y):giggle: You may need factor 50 sunscreen in deep winter, to share a beer with him under it though.;):giggle:
LES

Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Modding is even better when it’s cheap as chips! :)
A man after my own heart.
The Exsis I have just bought already has a led strip on the bottom of the awning casing but it runs off 240v from what I can see, so I think I could change it to 12v. It is very bright and SWMBO has requested a dimmer. Anyone done this please?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
A man after my own heart.
The Exsis I have just bought already has a led strip on the bottom of the awning casing but it runs off 240v from what I can see, so I think I could change it to 12v. It is very bright and SWMBO has requested a dimmer. Anyone done this please?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I have this type fitted to my awning led strip lights.

It remembers the previous level of light set, it is hidden, it has a remote so lights can be turned off until you are near van, when they can the be operated, and still works with standard switch in van.

Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
I have this type fitted to my awning led strip lights.

It remembers the previous level of light set, it is hidden, it has a remote so lights can be turned off until you are near van, when they can the be operated, and still works with standard switch in van.

I had a quick look this morning and that’s one of the ones I marked to go back to. So with you recommendation I will probably go with that one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back