Add extra Lithium Batteries in Parallell (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Hi all
We have now collected our new rapido 8096 it comes fitted with a tbb m12 100ah lithium battery. It is charged by b2b and a 160w solar panel. On the previous van I had 2 renogy 100ah lithium batteries which I have kept. My first plan was to replace the tbb with the 2 matching renogy batteries but is there any reason I cannot just add them all in parallel to create a 300ah bank. I dont actually need that much power but as I have the batteries it's no loss.
Would I be doing any harm to the charging system to do this?

Tia

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I don't know why you could not use all three. But charge them all to the same voltage before connecting them.

Your charging current will be limited by the chargers, not by the batteries. It will just take longer to charge.

Don't forget that if they are all very close to each other the you should have fuses at each end of the +ve connecting link.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With Lithium even if close to each other it is still wise to fuse each battery.
When connecting you need to do it via bus bars and the leads from each battery need to be the same size and the same length.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Thanks guys, there is enough space for them to go side by side so will get a set of leads made up, what size of cable should I use as a minimum ? The length will be relatively short 450mm max.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Size of cable depends on length & load for your use 16mm² will be OK and I would fit a 50 amp midi fuse inline with each battery.

OP
OP
M
Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Cheers lenny appreciated, so I would need a 5 post bus bar, 1 each for the 3 batteries 1 for the main cable leaving to the consumer unit and 1 for the inverter live.
Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Cheers lenny appreciated, so I would need a 5 post bus bar, 1 each for the 3 batteries 1 for the main cable leaving to the consumer unit and 1 for the inverter live.
Thanks
4 will be fine as you can connect more than one cable on a post.
Fuse each battery before the bus bar then separate fuses for distribution unit & inverter.

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi all
We have now collected our new rapido 8096 it comes fitted with a tbb m12 100ah lithium battery. It is charged by b2b and a 160w solar panel. On the previous van I had 2 renogy 100ah lithium batteries which I have kept. My first plan was to replace the tbb with the 2 matching renogy batteries but is there any reason I cannot just add them all in parallel to create a 300ah bank. I dont actually need that much power but as I have the batteries it's no loss.
Would I be doing any harm to the charging system to do this?

Tia
Renogy have pouch cells so need bulking all the time virtually there’s no float maybe your other lithium are different charging profiles

Jan 30, 2024
Paignton, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen
I personally wouldn’t do that. Stick with the same batteries make, size etc or you may create uneven charging and or discharging of the battery cells over time.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I personally wouldn’t do that. Stick with the same batteries make, size etc or you may create uneven charging and or discharging of the battery cells over time.
Or you may not, so far ours are charging and discharging pretty evenly but i never plug in only have solar and B2B

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Also make sure your load is connected properly
Positive on battery one negative on battery three to balance as much as possible

Size cables for highest load, maybe inverter, assume worst case!

Tony

OP
OP
M
Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Just looking at what I need to order, just need to confirm that on the positive side each battery is wired seperatly to the bus bar with a midi fuse then the original main cables connect to the bus bar also. The wiring is then repeated on the negative side to a seperate bus bar.
Tia

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
MRBF fuses are pretty easy to install. Cost a bit more but they are good.

We’ve had four considerably different batteries hooked up for about a year to see how they work together. The battery with the lowest internal resistance will do most of the heavy lifting and will clock up more cycles. But other than that we experienced no problems.

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
With Lithium even if close to each other it is still wise to fuse each battery.
A good point, and the fuses need to be at the battery in each case.

But I don't see why it only applies to lithium.

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Just looking at what I need to order, just need to confirm that on the positive side each battery is wired seperatly to the bus bar with a midi fuse then the original main cables connect to the bus bar also.
Yes, but remember that, if each battery is fused at, say 30 amp, then that adds up to 120 amps feeding the bus bar, if there are four batteries.

So, each of the original main cables needs to be fused appropriately for its intended load (and wiring size) when connected to the bus bar.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A good point, and the fuses need to be at the battery in each case.

But I don't see why it only applies to lithium.
Good practice with any batteries but quite normal with lead batteries if next to each other just to fuse overall.
Always recomended to fuse each battery with Lithium due to the very high sustainable current they can deliver particularly if you had a fault on the BMS and it didn't shut down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back