AdBlue pumps in UK?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can you get AdBlue from a pump at a garage in the UK?

In France I was helped by Funsters to find an AdBlue pump at a supermarket garage. I'm going to need to top up again soon and if possible I'd like to avoid having to buy bottles of AdBlue when it's so much easier to use a pump like one does for diesel.

If they do exist, has anyone seen one anywhere near Plymouth? Or if not near Plymouth what sort of garage was it (Shell/Esso/Asda etc.)?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I would love to see them fight a claim on that one. I truly can't imagine the circumstances where mapping out your adblue would cause a collision.
I don't think that's the point. If you made a fundamental change to your vehicle such as this, in the event of an accident - for whatever reason - your insurer would walk away because you haven't declared this. If you made the change and declared it to your insurer your premiums may go sky high, but much more likely that your insurer would terminate your contract.

I would also think it must have a negative effect on the value, surely most people wouldn’t buy a vehicle with that sort of modification? I know I wouldn’t, but maybe others would be less concerned and I am in a minority.
No you are not.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
When we were in Spain , we paid 58 cents per litre for add blue at a pump.
Pump price here is around £1.50, maybe we pay extra tax on add blue.
IMG_0220.png

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Are HGV nozzles the same size as non HGV ie van ? I thought the van/car ones are smaller
I buy 20 litre drums from eBay, the pump I used was double the cost of the eBay stuff , but it’s life’d so you don’t want too much left over

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I don't think that's the point. If you made a fundamental change to your vehicle such as this, in the event of an accident - for whatever reason - your insurer would walk away because you haven't declared this. If you made the change and declared it to your insurer your premiums may go sky high, but much more likely that your insurer would terminate your contract.

No you are not.
Like much of the similar speculation on forum sites, Contract law doesn't work that way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Like much of the similar speculation on forum sites, Contract law doesn't work that way.
I do not look at other forums, so am not aware of similar discussions, but I am certainly not speculating.

If like me you have spent some time in the insurance industry, then I bow to your knowledge. Perhaps you have a legal background, in which you will know that if you make a fundamental change (and this is fundamental) to your motorhome without declaring it, you are breaking your contract with your insurer.

If you are involved in an accident, whether it is your fault or not, and whether your vehicle is repairable or a write-off, it will be examined in detail. If a fundamental change such as disabling your Ad Blue (or 'mapping out') is found then your insurer will walk away, losing not only any write-off value to you, but all those add-on's as well - legal aid, hire car, hotel, accident injury etc. If you want to challenge the insurer over contract law, well, good luck with that. Not only that, but your name will go on a list shared between insurers, and nobody really wants to be on that list.

Whoever is reading this thread, I encourage you to put out of your minds any thoughts of changing or deleting your Ad Blue system without first having a discussion with your insurer. I can't be any clearer, and that's my last word.

Apologies, but this is a serious issue.

Upvote 0

POH

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
As a truck driver I can say that almost all Motorway Services have Adblue pumps in the HGV fuel areas. My PVC uses Adblue, I prefer to use a the 5 litre bottles to fill from. Halfords were selling Adblue in 3.5litre pouches which were very handy and a good price.
Unfortunately they've stopped selling the pouches now but still have a deal on Adblue 5ltres...
Hi Mark just been in Halfords they now sell Adblue in 5ltr pouches and on offer for 2 for £20 , but I don't like the thought of travelling with them in the rear locker .

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I do not look at other forums, so am not aware of similar discussions, but I am certainly not speculating.

If like me you have spent some time in the insurance industry, then I bow to your knowledge. Perhaps you have a legal background, in which you will know that if you make a fundamental change (and this is fundamental) to your motorhome without declaring it, you are breaking your contract with your insurer.

If you are involved in an accident, whether it is your fault or not, and whether your vehicle is repairable or a write-off, it will be examined in detail. If a fundamental change such as disabling your Ad Blue (or 'mapping out') is found then your insurer will walk away, losing not only any write-off value to you, but all those add-on's as well - legal aid, hire car, hotel, accident injury etc. If you want to challenge the insurer over contract law, well, good luck with that. Not only that, but your name will go on a list shared between insurers, and nobody really wants to be on that list.

Whoever is reading this thread, I encourage you to put out of your minds any thoughts of changing or deleting your Ad Blue system without first having a discussion with your insurer. I can't be any clearer, and that's my last word.

The Insurance company would have to prove that Disabling the adblue system contributed or caused the loss.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
My local Esso truck stop has two adblue pumps.

It comes out at quite a rate. Though if you know how much you need, it's fairly easy to control. The nozzle fits the standard fiat/peugeot/citroen filler, including pressing on/opening the one-way tab in the filler neck.

I just choose a quiet time and fill.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The Insurance company would have to prove that Disabling the adblue system contributed or caused the loss.
I have no insurance experience but my policy clearly states
“YOU must tell US before:
• any CAR insured on YOUR policy is modified in any way;”
I have always assumed that the policy forms part of the contract between me and the insurer and if I break the rules it gives them a possible let out. Perhaps they would not consider disabling the Adblue as a sufficient breach to not pay out a claim but I don’t intend to take that chance.

My vehicle is registered as Euro 6 on the basis of the Certificate of Conformity provided by the manufacturer. Subsequently changing the conformity is another risk I shall avoid.

I am not saying what others should do or that anyone would know, just explaining why I leave things alone as much as possible.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Wait until you start having problems with it, you might change your mind. Its truly terrible stuff, it will eat through concrete.

If it can eat though concrete how come it can't eat through the plastic bottle it comes in? Fortunately my motorhome doesn't have any concrete in it. :giggle:

Upvote 0

Hezbez

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Whoosh Bang
Exp
Since 2009
Someone used the truck adblue pump at our local garage and it came out so quick he covered his trousers and shoes in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.

No you are not.

It is true that you are asked about any modifications to your vehicle when buying insurance. It is also true that the insurance company could invalidate your insurance if they discovered you had modifications you had not declared.

I do not believe however they could refuse your claim if there was no connection between the modification and the accident.

Also, It may not be moral or legal but I think chances of an insurance investigator looking into a modification that is not actually visible are quite slim unless it was a very serious accident involving dangerous driving or similar.

I have experience of having a easily visible modification on a car that was written off in an accident. The insurance company never mentioned it and paid out happily. I doubt very much that in a typical accident involving minor/medium damage that they would start examining engine internals or ECU programming.

Not supporting the idea of Adblue deletion (or not declaring any other modifications) - I'm quite happy with my Adblue vehicle, just commenting on the insurance implications (or lack of).

Upvote 0

DJIT

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
It is true that you are asked about any modifications to your vehicle when buying insurance. It is also true that the insurance company could invalidate your insurance if they discovered you had modifications you had not declared.

I do not believe however they could refuse your claim if there was no connection between the modification and the accident.

Also, It may not be moral or legal but I think chances of an insurance investigator looking into a modification that is not actually visible are quite slim unless it was a very serious accident involving dangerous driving or similar.

I have experience of having a easily visible modification on a car that was written off in an accident. The insurance company never mentioned it and paid out happily. I doubt very much that in a typical accident involving minor/medium damage that they would start examining engine internals or ECU programming.

Not supporting the idea of Adblue deletion (or not declaring any other modifications) - I'm quite happy with my Adblue vehicle, just commenting on the insurance implications (or lack of).
Insurance companies employ people and pay them a good salary and a bonus if they can reduce the payout.

These people must be worth employing.

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I have only once bought adblue in a container which took ages to use up as it was such a bitch to try to decant into the vehicle, never again. I use the pumps at garages as its so much cleaner and convenient.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
will also monitor your exhaust emissions,
yes for smoke emission ,nothing else.extremely difficult to measure Nox.
The department is therefore calling for views or research on methods that could be applied within the test to assess the performance of these control systems on both petrol and diesel vehicles.”
as the above quote from a link.They want suggestions as to a way to test as they have no idea how & at an economic cost
Leaving the legal questions aside, paying good money to remove a working adblue system is pointless as it leaves you in a position of running a modified engine (not insured) and potentially having to refit it should the MOT be amended to include the testing of it.
I can understand removing a faulty system v repair costs but again will have the same potential problems with insurance and future MOT’s
You are always insured.That is the idea of 'insurance' to cover 3rd party claims .Not for you to claim on your own insurance , as most in the Uk do, for their own negligence.
I would also think it must have a negative effect on the value, surely most people wouldn’t buy a vehicle with that sort of modification? I know I wouldn’t, but maybe others would be less concerned and I am in a minority.
Why would you be telling them?
your insurer would walk away because you haven't declared this.
But hopefully you would be claiming off the other party?
The UK is the only country where the "knock for knock" scam exists & that benefits only the insurance companies & blames the victim as well as the guilty party , Most other countries including here in Spain will pin down & totally apportion the blame on the actual wrong doer
If you made the change and declared it to your insurer

You'd struggle here then. How do you know what actually exists? Very common here for catalyst to have there innards removed.Same with dpf's & that is in garages. adblue delete is another easy bypass.
maybe we pay extra tax on add blue.
err no it is the usual Uk "scamamug" way
is found then your insurer will walk away,
Only if you are claiming on your own insurance .I'd be claiming off the other guilty party & not even accepting any type of knockfor knock.
Perhaps they would not consider disabling the Adblue as a sufficient breach to not pay out a claim but I don’t intend to take that chance.
If they do not consider modifying the front cross member & nullifying the Certificate of Conformity it was built with as a reason not to pay out then deleting a dubious method of "emissions compliance" is nothing to worry about.
Insurance companies employ people and pay them a good salary and a bonus if they can reduce the payout.

These people must be worth employing.
& that is why you use your own "adjuster" to combat them

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Not sure how accurate or comprehensive it is, but I’ve found an iOS app called Adblue4you on the Apple App Store , there may be an Android version? It came in handy today looking for pumps in the Clermond-Ferrand area (& I filled at €1.29 a litre, whereas a nearby garage selling in 10l containers was twice the price) but it does show some UK pumps.
It allows you to search for light vehicle pumps as distinct from HGV ones. I suspect it won’t have them all, but probably better than nothing?

Upvote 0

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ITINEO A CLASS
Exp
Since 09 2018
No problem with adblue in Italy,topped up with 11 litres for 12€ yesterday from the pump.

Cheers🍻

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We live in Plymouth I know there is one at the shell garage at the first roundabout when going to Cornwall from the tamar bridge Carkeel service station
That's the one charging neigh on £1.30 for gas.
Wouldn't touch them with yours. :Eeek:

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
No problem with adblue in Italy,topped up with 11 litres for 12€ yesterday from the pump.

Cheers🍻
Found a garage in Peniscola selling at 34cents a litre. Could only squeeze in 5 litres. A lot cheaper than the €16 for a 5l tub in France.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Do not most insurers have a caveat in their Ts and Cs that the vehicle must be "legal" to use on UK roads? Surely mapping out the AdBlue renders the vehicle illegal for use on UK roads as it doe not meet the legally required emission standards. Different from the vehicle having a fault which affects the system which can subsequently be "repaired" to put it back to original and required specification.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Do not most insurers have a caveat in their Ts and Cs that the vehicle must be "legal" to use on UK roads? Surely mapping out the AdBlue renders the vehicle illegal for use on UK roads as it doe not meet the legally required emission standards. Different from the vehicle having a fault which affects the system which can subsequently be "repaired" to put it back to original and required specification.
It usually has to be roadworthy. Roadworthy is not defined in law, but usually means tyres, brakes, steering, bodywork.

People who are unhappy with insurance decisions can appeal to the ombudsman. The resultant decisions are here: https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decisions-case-studies/ombudsman-decisions

If you search through, you'll find they uphold decisions where the tyres are bald, if that contributed to the accident.

I've just done a search on adblue. I can find no cases where insurers have turned down claims because of adblue being deleted. Most of the adblue complaints seem to be either people putting adblue in the fuel tank, or incomplete accident repairs leaving a warning light on.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back