Access Doors and dogs (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi, Newbie here, first post and looking for peoples thoughts on this quandary.

We are looking to get our first van/motorhome that will be used primarily by me, my wife and our adult child as well as our 2 dogs Dougal (a springer) and Hattie a collie/lab cross.

Whilst a coach built has more room (which is attractive for 3 adults and 2 dogs!) they only have one main door where as a van conversion has a sliding side door and rear doors and my wife thinks that having more than one entrance is a good idea especially with the dogs.

What are peoples thoughts or are we overthinking things? Just trying to narrow down our choices.

Thanks

Giles

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there and welcome.

We only have the one dog, but I think you are focusing on the wrong priority. Space is what you will need not exits imho.

Layout is everything strongly followed by payload.

You will be pushed for space for you all in most pvcā€™s.

Do you have a C1 license as you are likely to get a better choice in your search for a motorhome.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
With 3 adults and 2 dogs I would forget about a PVC. You are also going to need a decent payload so you need to be looking at vans over 3.5t which will need a C1 licence to drive.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Agree with all said above..

we had coachbuilts when we had kids with us,

All kids fledged, we now have a PVC , it's cozy. for two, .. and wouldn't consider having another adult and two med sized dogs with us. .. just not practical..

PVCs are great for many types of traveling.. but not for more than two adults ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have had several motorhomes and have always had dog(s). Having one habitation door has never been a problem, after all how many front doors do most houses have

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Number of exits never even occurred to us when we were looking.

We have one dog and our granddaughter would have been a regular travelling companion.

Space as others have suggested is the main thing really.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We had a German Shepherd Collie cross when we had our first van. He kept to the front seat during the day and under the bed at night.
We have had a coach build since we adopted the current Labrador size rescue dog. He is in the way no matter were we put his bed. He wonā€™t sit on the front seats or crawl under the bed. If we still had the van it would be a challenge stepping over him but we have just a bit more room now to get past him.
For his size and age he still bounces through the door without the step out.

Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
If you went for a big van conversion with the right layout, you'd probably make it work - there are 2 of us and a labrador, and our works fine for us - but I wouldn't eliminate a coachbuilt because of having only one door.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree that a coachbuilt will be far better for you. Try and go for one that you can fit a dog gate across the hab door, to stop them getting out without your knowledge/permission!

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
We used to have a 6m PVC and a collie-sized dog. Definitely not big enough.
If she lay on the floor we were constantly having to disturb her to move around.

At night she took up as much room as I did, and before anyone moans about having a dog on your bed - she was a badly abused rescue whom we brought back to good health and as far as I was concerned, she could sleep anywhere she damn well pleased as long as she felt secure and happy (but she was not a dog to curl up into a small ball when sleeping :LOL: )

As Phill D says, you need space, not exits. Coachbuilt, perhaps with a drop down bed at the front for one adult and the pups, and the other two sleep at the back? Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back