About to self-install Gaslow - please check (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Hello I’m about to transplant the Gaslow (8/12 old, 1*11kg cylinder, 150cm hose) from old van to new (Adria Sgx).
My plan is to use one of the autogas brackets that bolt to rear bumper, (and the square cap) and run into the gas locker by drilling a 30mm hole in bottom of vent.
I’ve made it up in draft form, and checked each attachment at either end and it seems ok. But before I drill the whole is there anything else I should consider?
Cylinder has been connected to van, and working fine, but will need to fill up at some point…

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0563.jpeg

IMG_0564.jpeg

IMG_0565.jpeg

Jun 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Is there a particular reason you haven't gone with an 'internal' filler in the locker? No criticism, it just seemed easier when I did it and have had no problems filling up in the UK or mainland Europe. (y)

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Should there not be a straight dowhill path from the filler point to the bottle?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not feed the pipe down via the existing drop vent rather than drill another hole in the bottom of the locker? That's what I did on several PVCs/MHs. To protect the pipe externally as I had some wider diameter hose pipe I split it lengthways and slotted it over the filler pipe and cable-tied it on, you could use an old bicycle innertube instead.

One observation is that you may find it difficult to get some of the filling guns on the filler if you mount it too far under and too close to the bumper so you may still need to get the longer UK filler. I had to get one as when I fitted the filler on our Carthago I was quite restricted on where I could put it so the wheel arch trim caused a problem with the standard length UK adapter but the longer one easily sorted that.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Mine fitted by Brownhills using an L bracket screwed to roof of locker. No large holes drilled.

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Flexible conduit to protect the hose from the filling point to where it enters the gas compartment.
Thanks - have ordered a rubber grommet and will use a piece of protective outer hose

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Why not feed the pipe down via the existing drop vent rather than drill another hole in the bottom of the locker? That's what I did on several PVCs/MHs. To protect the pipe externally as I had some wider diameter hose pipe I split it lengthways and slotted it over the filler pipe and cable-tied it on, you could use an old bicycle innertube instead.

One observation is that you may find it difficult to get some of the filling guns on the filler if you mount it too far under and too close to the bumper so you may still need to get the longer UK filler. I had to get one as when I fitted the filler on our Carthago I was quite restricted on where I could put it so the wheel arch trim caused a problem with the standard length UK adapter but the longer one easily sorted that.
Thanks - the drop vent is where I’m headed, rather than the locker.
Thanks for the advice about longer filler. I’ll check.
A similar system on old van was ok, but under bumper was more hassle, I agree. Could only fit with pump handle pointing down, so more difficult initially but for the hand of it. Trying to avoid the side sill ones to avoid drilling the van, but will look at that as well if bumper one is too short to use easily.
Appreciate the reply.

OP
OP
I
Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…

Something like this? Not sure how I would cover it with a cap if left on permanently?
IMG_0572.png

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
I fitted mine to my previous PVC the same way as Minxy did, through the drop out hole and protected by some garden hosepipe. I mounted the small square filler on the rear nearside of the bumper, just below the square bit in the attached photo. My bumper was the same colour as the filler cover so it was very tidy looking. You could also fit it in the square bit, which is where the reflector is, and put the reflector back on the filler cap.
This assumes that the bumper on your van is the same as mine was.

Screenshot_20240813_075626_Chrome.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Something like this? Not sure how I would cover it with a cap if left on permanently?
View attachment 935063
Is your bayonet detachable or fixed? I assumed it was detachable screw on one and you had the flat cover so a longer one could be used instead, if not then you could just get another one to screw into your fixed one when you need to fill like a tandem affair, then just remove the outer one before fitting your square 'box' cover.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Trying to avoid the side sill ones to avoid drilling the van, but will look at that as well if bumper one is too short to use easily.
I also put one in the rear bumper itself which was far easier than the corner one which was a b*gger to get the spanner in to tighten everything up. The beauty of this is that there's a hole in the 'metal' behind the plastic bumper already for when they fit reversing sensors so if you can locate that you only have to drill the plastic bumper. If you ever want to remove the filler you can easily mask the hole with a reflector and put a matching one on the other side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back