"A Year in Spain" My "last gasp" attempt at posting (informative info). (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Sun's up 😊

IMG_20240403_075351~3.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today's ride was a much easier version of the one we did earlier in the year. On that ride we climbed up (no problem on an ebike) but on very loose stony tracks and then dropped back downhill 🤔.

So being map savvy, we made an alternative route. OK it followed the old road to Granada, next to the autovia, but that was interesting in itself. The middle bit was the same, but we didn't see Griffon Vultures this time, and then the end was a bit different.

(Anyone using Man and Van, or similar, based at Velez Rubio, be sure he can get your stuff anywhere 😂😂). And the old Citroën vehicles can get where no one else dares (expect on mountainbikes) 🤣.

We have a Brit neighbour here. "Ex" Funster. He says he's banned 🤔. Martin's out helping him with something or other anyway 👍

DSCN8245~2.JPG
DSCN8248~2.JPG
DSCN8252~2.JPG
DSCN8257~2.JPG
DSCN8255~2.JPG
DSCN8261~2.JPG
DSCN8262~2.JPG
DSCN8263~2.JPG
DSCN8264~2.JPG
DSCN8266~3.JPG

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Raising awareness of cats in the vicinity could have a detrimental affect. Many people have a massive hatred of cats and will actively drive towards them. I find it sickening. The type of oeople who do that sort of thing also seem to have no qualms in making their feelings known. Personally, i could line them all up against a wall and shoot them. I loathe animal cruelty. Take care on how you handle this situation ❤️
Like you animal cruelty is one of the few things that makes me angry. I find the stray cats in Spain a nuisance as our dogs hate them and there are so many in places , but would never hurt one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had another nice ride this morning. The gravel on the dry riverbed was more challenging than the last time we rode it, so I got off and pushed in a few places. I'd rather be fit and well for future trips, and we have a four day ride almost planned for next week.

We climbed up to Velez Blanco, a village well worth exploring without bikes. We stopped at the village fuente, and flower shop next door. Then rapidly descended down the very old road through the mills and flour factory. (One old mill, as photo'd is for sale 😨)!

Our meet up with the parcel was easy. Personal number plates "R they" they can't hide
🤣
We spent a nice time chatting and maybe we'll keep in touch 😊

The goodies from Scout are now secreted in various cupboards in our van. The outcome from sales will be posted, if possible.

Martin didn't find a big dog to make friends with, so he settled for a donkey 🤣
DSCN8267~2.JPG
DSCN8269~2.JPG
DSCN8268~2.JPG
DSCN8273~2.JPG
DSCN8270~2.JPG
DSCN8279~2.JPG
DSCN8277~2.JPG
DSCN8276~2.JPG
DSCN8275~3.JPG
DSCN8284~2.JPG

The old flour factory
DSCN8281~2.JPG

Old mill (for sale!!!)
DSCN8285~2.JPG
Screenshot_20240404_152136_Chrome.jpg

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Today's ride was a much easier version of the one we did earlier in the year. On that ride we climbed up (no problem on an ebike) but on very loose stony tracks and then dropped back downhill 🤔.

So being map savvy, we made an alternative route. OK it followed the old road to Granada, next to the autovia, but that was interesting in itself. The middle bit was the same, but we didn't see Griffon Vultures this time, and then the end was a bit different.

(Anyone using Man and Van, or similar, based at Velez Rubio, be sure he can get your stuff anywhere 😂😂). And the old Citroën vehicles can get where no one else dares (expect on mountainbikes) 🤣.

We have a Brit neighbour here. "Ex" Funster. He says he's banned 🤔. Martin's out helping him with something or other anyway 👍

View attachment 882231View attachment 882233View attachment 882234View attachment 882236View attachment 882237View attachment 882239View attachment 882241View attachment 882242View attachment 882243View attachment 882244
You want to be careful helping out fugitives :rofl:

What's the Spanish equivalent of Coventry :unsure:

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Velez Blanco & Rubio were areas we once looked at for potential residence. Nice and countrified but we decided not for us. You only learn these things by looking 😜 I had an old work colleague who lived up that valley and seemed to enjoy it, apart from the cold in winter.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now at the motorhome area of Molinicos. Have I posted info from here already? Photos of the murals? I'm happy that Martin won the guess the numbers already here at two. It's nice to be tranquil.

We shopped en route, at Mercadona at Puerto Lumbreros. We managed to get our van in one space. The two N....... reg vans managed to take up about 10 spaces between them. Oh well, here today, gone ....

We'll try to do a nice ride tomorrow (previous attempts have been disasters/dangerous) and then move onto the area where we want to do our 5 day bike ride.

Martin's messaged the tourist office (still awaiting a response) to see if we can pay for 5 nights on one of the pay motorhome areas.

Failing that, we might ask the local Bomberos if we can park next to the firestation near where we want to start the ride. We've been lucky a few times in the past, and, if Martin can't blag a parking, we have many Spanish Firefighter friends who might be able to help us 🤣🤣🤣

Watch this space ...

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This morning, Martin had an idea (well maybe he had it before, but he told me this morning) 🤔.

His plan was to forfeit a bike ride today, and instead drive to the Lagunas de Ruidera and check our possible motorhome parking there.

We're happy to pay for parking, but our research shows that the secure parking is only for 48 hours.

Anyway, we had a nice drive over mountains, and through very green areas, with millions of poppies (no photos, but it DID happen).

We arrived at Ruidera and Martin left me in the van (unofficially parked) to go to check out the campsite (dire) and chat with a very nice lady (his words) in the visitor centre.

Her recommendation (unofficial) was to park in the secure parking, a d pay for 48 hours. Then, when we arrive back pay for the three days we'd overstayed. She thinks we'll be OK 😂.

She said the 48 hours was to regulate summer visitors.

I'll send GPS co-ordinates of our place of incarceration, if necessary. Food parcels will be appreciated 🤣🤣🤣

So, we're going to give it a go. The outcome will be known sometime at the end of next week.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now parked in a free motorhome area (parking, no facilities) at the Castle above the laguna we'll eventually ride along, on our last day before we find if we're in prison.

I'll go out a take, and post, some photos later.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So our tonight's parking is, officially, in the pines, across the road from the Castillo (and reservoir) de Peñarroya.

It's a very nice parking area, and I've just been for a stroll to take some photos. Last year our ride took us underneath the dam wall, away from here. This ride will bring us, somehow, back up here to take us back to our imprisoned, motorhome.

Screenshot_20240406_155007_Maps.jpg
DSCN8308~2.JPG
DSCN8286~2.JPG
DSCN8307~2.JPG
DSCN8294~2.JPG
DSCN8306~2.JPG
DSCN8297.JPG
DSCN8301~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
There's something not right. We slept all night with the Maxxfan, directly over us, running at 20%. It was a summer temperature. It's only early April 😨😨.

We're later going to head over to check out of chosen parking area at the village of Argamasilla de Alba. I hope we're happy with it 🤞🤞

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
There's something not right. We slept all night with the Maxxfan, directly over us, running at 20%. It was a summer temperature. It's only early April 😨😨.

We're later going to head over to check out of chosen parking area at the village of Argamasilla de Alba. I hope we're happy with it 🤞🤞
Yep, it was a very warm and dusty night in Mazarron!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're on the secure parking at Argamasilla de Alba. Legally for now 😂. We went to get some cash, and then went to talk to the Tourist Info Office. The lady there, who we had to speak to in her own language, told us to park here. She didn't know it was, officially, only 48 hours. Soooo, she directed us to go to talk to the Police Local. We pressed the intercom button at the side of the door (as she'd instructed) and a police car with two officers pulled up. They told us to park here, and they didn't know the 48 hour limit either.

So. We're parking here until we return from the ride on Friday. How we get out, and how we pay for our overstay, will be sorted then.

We're here alone, so, hopefully the €6.05 daily fee were happy to pay will suit the authorities.

Martin, inputting info to get inside the "cage".

IMG_20240407_114740.jpg

It's warm, but greyish here, it could be the effect of the Calima (Sahara dust).

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just before jumartoo posts, I'll say my bit..too late she beat me too it...
Our bike ride starts from our current location...Argamasilla de Alba...I wrote to the tourist office last week...awaiting reply....so we went there this morning...the nice lady gave us tourist information...not what we wanted....so asked a question out of the box....,🤔 where can we securely leave our MH for 5 days...she directed us to the Police Local office...We went....I pushed the button outside and waited....be with you in a jiffy his reply......,"mi voy en los jiffimos" in Spanish ..and in 5 minutes the car arrived with two young officers....What ya want? or in Spanish " Que tu wantos". Peavy will be pulling his hair out now if reading this....let's hope he's not..
He explained....leave it in the MH parking...fully gated and secure...perfect...we are there now...BUT there is a 48hour limit and our ven will be left for 5 days....blank look...
Our plan....park overnight...prepare bikes...leave van....cycle off...return in 5 days, think of an excuse for overstaying...Suitable excuses.
Didn't read the notice.
Cannot read the notice.
Ignored the notice.
Thought the community would like more money.
We are willing to pay for the extra days...and why not...
I could call the help line...but fearing they will say No...prefer to face the punishment...if any...cus I will pay on return....
Of course I will post the outcome...perhaps my Spanish residencia will be cancelled and we will be sent to Prison or they might just charge to my CC the extra days...
What's not going to happen is.... cancelling or modifying our 5 day ride...

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our bike ride starts from our current location...Argamasilla de Alba...I write to the tourist office last week...awaiting reply....so we went there this morning...the nice lady gave us tourist information...not what we wanted....so asked a question out of the box....,🤔 where can we securely leave our MH for 5 days...she directed us to the Police Local office...We went....I pushed the button outside and waited....be with you in a jiffy his reply......,"mi voy en los jiffimos" in Spanish ..and in 5 minutes the car arrived with two young officers....What ya want? or in Spanish " Que tu wantos". Peavy will be pulling his hair out now if reading this....let's hope he's not..
He explained....leave it in the MH parking...fully gated and secure...perfect...we are there now...BUT there is a 48hour limit and our ven will be left for 5 days....blank look...
Our plan....park overnight...prepare bikes...leave van....cycle off...return in 5 days, think of an excuse for overstaying...Suitable excuses.
Didn't read the notice.
Cannot read the notice.
Ignored the notice.
I could call the help line...but fearing they will say No...prefer to face the punishment...if any...cus I will pay on return....
Of course I will post the outcome...perhaps my Spanish redidencia will be cancelled and we will be sent to Prison or they might just charge to my CC the extra days...

Too late 🤣

And I won't be going to prison. No one in authority here has my details 🤭

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We once stayed on a French aire that had an honesty box and 48 hour max stay. We wanted to stay an extra day to do more cycling so I went to the mairie and in my bestest French asked if it was ok.

They were surprised to be asked as I suspect most don’t even read the limit , of course they said yes (y) I am sure it will work out ok for you two.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We once stayed on a French aire that had an honesty box and 48 hour max stay. We wanted to stay an extra day to do more cycling so I went to the mairie and in my bestest French asked if it was ok.

They were surprised to be asked as I suspect most don’t even read the limit , of course they said yes (y) I am sure it will work out ok for you two.

I'm sure we'll be OK. The lady at Ruidera said the rules were really to regulate the summer visitors.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm sitting, watching and listening to a cycle camper trying to blag his way in here. He's about turned and left.

I was, sort of hoping he'd be admitted, so as to make our overstay more legit.

Then again. The rules are for motorhomes, not caravans and tents. Sooo .. are we being very naughty!

We'll know on Friday.

Begging letters will be sent, and ignored, I'm sure 🤣🤣🤣

It's not totally our fault, when both the tourist office and the local police tell us to park here.

Can we use that in our defence?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Our bike ride starts from our current location...Argamasilla de Alba...I wrote to the tourist office last week...awaiting reply....so we went there this morning...the nice lady gave us tourist information...not what we wanted....so asked a question out of the box....,🤔 where can we securely leave our MH for 5 days...she directed us to the Police Local office...We went....I pushed the button outside and waited....be with you in a jiffy his reply......,"mi voy en los jiffimos" in Spanish ..and in 5 minutes the car arrived with two young officers....What ya want? or in Spanish " Que tu wantos". Peavy will be pulling his hair out now if reading this....let's hope he's not..
Didn't read the notice.
Cannot read the notice.
Ignored the notice.
Of course I will post the outcome...perhaps my Spanish residencia will be cancelled and we will be sent to Prison or they might just charge to my CC the extra days...
I think you already know some English words are used now in Spanish by the new generations, like the word "crush".
So, probably the local youngsters would like your "new spanglish wave" and see you as one of them :LOL:(y)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well. Martin's been playing with the entrance machine and, in 48 hour bookings we've now paid up until 1 pm on Friday. I feel so much happier now.

We're on the road at 10.00 so I must get things sorted.
I have my uses.....all the signs say 48 hours...but the machine said YES...my card got to work and provided secure parking the next 5 days...so off we go....

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've had a very nice first day. The greenery and flowers were beautiful. We rode just short of 50km with only just over 50 metres of climb.

Our accommodation is perfect and our lunch at a local bar was more than sufficient.

We're having problems booking our onward accommodation, so we may have to modify our route occasionally. We already had to resort to a road when we came to an uncrossable river today. The torrential Easter rains have added to the water table.

DSCN8329.JPG
DSCN8320.JPG
DSCN8323.JPG
DSCN8347.JPG
DSCN8328.JPG
DSCN8341.JPG
IMG_20240408_121401.jpg
DSCN8331.JPG
DSCN8352.JPG
Screenshot_2024-04-08-17-08-14-775_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
DSCN8357.JPG
DSCN8358.JPG