A 'Smashing' afternoon in Germany (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
We made it to Baden-baden on day three of our summer 2024 european trip and all was going well. The weather was so good we took a day off driving to enjoy the 29 degree heat and the wonderful sunshine.

I just got the barbecue fired up, and as usual burned my neck a bit in the sun, before a huge crash from the rear of the van had me almost jumping out of my skin.

On further investigation the whole of the bedroom window - that had been open to allow air to flow though the van - had just dropped off the stays and smashed in to a million pieces!

IMG_6615.jpg IMG_6625.jpg

It was not windy and my only explanation is that the stays just failed and let the glass slip out of the frame.

A quick call to Premium received the usual prompt attention, and all going well I will be making a visit to the factory in Schlusselfeld tomorrow hoping they can fit me in for an emergency repair.

IMG_6628.jpg

I hope my temporary repair holds out for the nearly 200 mile diversion!

OP
OP
Paul F
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
I think I'd be happy with that repair for a lot longer than 200 miles!

I'd be inclined to put picnic table on the inside of the window to stop the airflow ballooning it and blowing it in
Yes I tend to agree. I was thinking that maybe the blind would be strong enough, but I dont want to knacker that too! Will have a rummage around in the morning and see what else can be attached internally with yet another roll of duck tape. Have to resist the temptation to push on too quickly aswell I think.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yes I tend to agree. I was thinking that maybe the blind would be strong enough, but I dont want to knacker that too! Will have a rummage around in the morning and see what else can be attached internally with yet another roll of duck tape. Have to resist the temptation to push on too quickly aswell I think.
Just nip down to BundQ and get a sheet of ply or MDF cut to size and then just held in place with a few bungies or (elastic) paracord.
Just something stiff as backing so that the plastic is not taking the strain of a 70mph side wind for hundreds of miles.

The other way is to do a 'proper job'
Get a sheet of Ply or better still thick plastic that is used for lining shower walls.
Cut to size
Mount either on the outside or inside
two or more wooden battens larger than the window
Drill holes through board and battens
And then clamp together using long (10-20 cm) bolts (possibly with wing nuts)
It can be made wind and shower proof with pipe lagging or carpet tiles

Tools required:
Jig saw
Drill
Wood drill bits
Tape measure (or measuring stick)
pencil
Wood glue optional

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for the comprehensive suggestion. After weighing up the options, the picnic table one is far more practical!
Aye right!:RollEyes:

Tell the troof, bl**dy cheaper!:whistle2:

And, you'll need to be telling the other half that you'll not be bbqing again as it has collateral damage issues!(y)

Hope you get it sorted OK and it doesn't impact your holiday.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A beautifully done job!
Even chamfered edges and internal shelving!
Unless you actually need the window back I'd be inclined to give it a coat of white paint and call it fixed!

Worth putting a few photos on the Hymer Owners Group pages both here and FB.
As trying to explain to a local chippy or an emergency shop board company what you want done in the case of a broken window in a place where you don't speak the language, a picture speaks a thousand words

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We made it to Baden-baden on day three of our summer 2024 european trip and all was going well. The weather was so good we took a day off driving to enjoy the 29 degree heat and the wonderful sunshine.

I just got the barbecue fired up, and as usual burned my neck a bit in the sun, before a huge crash from the rear of the van had me almost jumping out of my skin.

On further investigation the whole of the bedroom window - that had been open to allow air to flow though the van - had just dropped off the stays and smashed in to a million pieces!

View attachment 915158 View attachment 915157

It was not windy and my only explanation is that the stays just failed and let the glass slip out of the frame.

A quick call to Premium received the usual prompt attention, and all going well I will be making a visit to the factory in Schlusselfeld tomorrow hoping they can fit me in for an emergency repair.

View attachment 915183

I hope my temporary repair holds out for the nearly 200 mile diversion!

How old is the Palace?

Even if out of warranty I hope Morelo will replace FOC, just to stave off bad publicity.

OP
OP
Paul F
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
How old is the Palace?

Even if out of warranty I hope Morelo will replace FOC, just to stave off bad publicity.

The Palace is only 15 months old, so should all be covered under warranty no problem.

An early call from Premium Motorhomes this morning confirmed that the factory were expecting me today, and within 15 minutes of arrival at about 2.00pm the MH was in the workshop.

Unfortunately the job couldnt be completed today as the window frame is actually warped (which I suspect caused the glass to fall out - the full explanantion was lost a little bit in translation!). As a result, I am staying on the Stellplatz at the factory tonight and a complete new frame and window will be fitted at 7.00am tomorrow.

I cannot fault Morelo, or Premium Motorhomes as they have jumped on this and prevented a potential nightmare from spoiling my big annual trip. Thanks to both in anticipation of a satisfactory conclusion tomorrow.

Back on route to Slovenia by close of business tomorrow all going well!

As a bonus I got a good look around the new 2025 models whilst I was waiting!

IMG_6629.jpg
IMG_6631.jpg
IMG_6632.jpg
IMG_6630.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The Palace is only 15 months old, so should all be covered under warranty no problem.

An early call from Premium Motorhomes this morning confirmed that the factory were expecting me today, and within 15 minutes of arrival at about 2.00pm the MH was in the workshop.

Unfortunately the job couldnt be completed today as the window frame is actually warped (which I suspect caused the glass to fall out - the full explanantion was lost a little bit in translation!). As a result, I am staying on the Stellplatz at the factory tonight and a complete new frame and window will be fitted at 7.00am tomorrow.

I cannot fault Morelo, or Premium Motorhomes as they have jumped on this and prevented a potential nightmare from spoiling my big annual trip. Thanks to both in anticipation of a satisfactory conclusion tomorrow.

Back on route to Slovenia by close of business tomorrow all going well!

As a bonus I got a good look around the new 2025 models whilst I was waiting!

View attachment 915648View attachment 915649View attachment 915650View attachment 915651
Cameras are neat, must take quite a bit of the length as well :LOL:

OP
OP
Paul F
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
That’s proper sevice👍
Agreed. They even allocated my service bay so I knew where to go on arrival without the need to check in again. Two mechanics were stood waiting for me, and they are now fitting the window whilst I enjoy the coffee and cake sitting on the comfy sofas in the air conditioned waiting room!

A little different to my previous experiences with Hymer, who basically tried to dismiss warranty claims rather than address them in a customer focused way - although I think that was more to do with the rubbish UK dealer than the manufacturer.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
A beautifully done job!
Even chamfered edges and internal shelving!
Unless you actually need the window back I'd be inclined to give it a coat of white paint and call it fixed!

Worth putting a few photos on the Hymer Owners Group pages both here and FB.
As trying to explain to a local chippy or an emergency shop board company what you want done in the case of a broken window in a place where you don't speak the language, a picture speaks a thousand words
Yes it was certainly secure.
BiL made and fitted it, he is a Pattern Maker by trade!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paul F
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
…..one hour later, and we are all done!

New window and frame fitted with a smile and an apology for the inconvenience, all covered under warranty, and sent on my way with best wishes.

A perfect example of German efficiency and customer service at its best. Why can’t all companies be like this.

Morelo have one very, very happy customer this morning. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agreed. They even allocated my service bay so I knew where to go on arrival without the need to check in again. Two mechanics were stood waiting for me, and they are now fitting the window whilst I enjoy the coffee and cake sitting on the comfy sofas in the air conditioned waiting room!

A little different to my previous experiences with Hymer, who basically tried to dismiss warranty claims rather than address them in a customer focused way - although I think that was more to do with the rubbish UK dealer than the manufacturer.
We have found the service centre to be very efficient (y) we picked up a new double glazed window (front) for ours to be fitted by Premium, they organised with the factory that we would collect it so when we arrived it was all packed up ready and wheeled straight out on a trolley by two guys to lift it safely into our garage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back