A quick trip over the channel (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Hi can anybody recommend a place to stop for a few days within easy driving distance of Calais? We are going at the start of July & are limited to about a week so don't want to spend long driving.We have always gone over for much longer & generally headed far south. We would prefer to be near a very small town or village & enjoy the more rural places. We don't need EHU & like Aires or small campsites. We considered UK but enjoy the continent so much the UK doesn't really do it for us anymore.Any suggestions gratefully received.

Apr 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
There are several campsites sites at Le Crotoy which has the only south facing beach on the Somme.

I am booked on a site there late July. (Like you I am taking a short trip across the Channel, in my case before a much longer trip late August/early September) Not been before but it looks good. I am booked Newhaven-Dieppe but it is easily accessible from both ferries.

Hope that gives some food for thought!

Chris

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
We have stayed HERE many times, it's about a 20 minute walk from Le Crotoy down the beach or a bit longer if you use the road which is flat and has a good cycle route beside the main road into town. The beach is just a couple of mins from the site but the water is miles out and only comes right in on a good spring tide. Also next door is the Park Marquenterre bird reserve if that ticks your box.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Diabalo,
" We have stayed HERE many times ..."
That is the site I am booked on for a couple of days late July. If you have any "must do" suggestions please let me know! I plan to Ebike it into Le Crotoy proper and maybe take the train ride one day.

Chris

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
PlacidoD if you are into birds the sanctury next door is well worth the visit. The surronding countryside is great for cycling as it's flat and not too busy. St Valery sur Somme is worth a days visit. There is a market in Le Crotoy not sure what day but worth a visit. For me a must is to be in Le Crotoy when the tide comes in as it's extreemly fast and facinating to watch.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Have you considered Bruges...about an hour and bit from Dunkerque and reported to be a lovely town, with canals, for a long weekend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Another thumbs up for Saint Valery and Le Crotoy, both are great for a couple of days, if not more depending on the weather. If you cycle, we do, the trip round the bay is flat and good fun. There are other cycleways to Abbeville and Cayeux sur Mer. If we are going to west France we often stop off both ways. Seafood in Le Crotoy is a real treat…..

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Amiens is an interesting city; there’s a campsite on a bus route right outside. Cathedral, shops, restaurants and plenty of WW1 wallboards. St Valery and Le Crotoy also worthwhile.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Market day in Le Crotoy certainly always used to be Sunday when the thoroughfare from the 'harbour' aire into the 'town centre' was entirely occupied with the stalls of the traders. Haven't been for a few years so dunno what's changed, if anything.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Amiens is an interesting city; there’s a campsite on a bus route right outside. Cathedral, shops, restaurants and plenty of WW1 wallboards. St Valery and Le Crotoy also worthwhile.
Second that, stayed there many times (camping with the Harley) great to use as a base👍

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Moncayo Halcon
Hi can anybody recommend a place to stop for a few days within easy driving distance of Calais? We are going at the start of July & are limited to about a week so don't want to spend long driving.We have always gone over for much longer & generally headed far south. We would prefer to be near a very small town or village & enjoy the more rural places. We don't need EHU & like Aires or small campsites. We considered UK but enjoy the continent so much the UK doesn't really do it for us anymore.Any suggestions gratefully received.
There's a little place called Montville about an hour(and a half?) from Calais
(a straight run) with an Aire behind the sportcentre and by a pretty lake with cafe/restaurant and a minute's walk to the little high street with a very nice patisserie.

our

Upvote 0
May 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
There's a little place called Montville about an hour(and a half?) from Calais
(a straight run) with an Aire behind the sportcentre and by a pretty lake with cafe/restaurant and a minute's walk to the little high street with a very nice patisserie.

our
Agree - Chateau du Gandspette is brilliant! Just left there today. The most immaculate facilities you will find just outside Calais. Find time to go down to the 'Blockhaus' if you like military history. 40 min walk from the campsite and it will amaze you when you see it!!

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
ldv
Hi can anybody recommend a place to stop for a few days within easy driving distance of Calais? We are going at the start of July & are lim

ited to about a week so don't want to spend long driving.We have always gone over for much longer & generally headed far south. We would prefer to be near a very small town or village & enjoy the more rural places. We don't need EHU & like Aires or small campsites. We considered UK but enjoy the continent so much the UK doesn't really do it for us anymore.Any suggestions gratefully received.
Renescure. 55km from Calais. Le Bloemstraete. Stayed there 3 times already and it's a lovely quiet site. Familiarise yourself with the street view pics of the campsite entrance cos it's so easy to drive past! (Done it many times)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If turning right, first stop Tardinghem farm aire - safe and quiet
Then on to Montreuil sur mer. Lovely little town. If aire is full there’s a reasonable cottage garden walled campsite just outside the medieval walls.
Then on to Le Touquet. Good aire by the marina or overspill by the horsey place. If event on, there’s other Aires in vicinity along the coast.
If turning left, Gravelines as first night stop, then into Belgium. A few seaside towns on the coast but I’d head for Bruges, Ghent and Ypres. Plenty to see.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
There are several campsites sites at Le Crotoy which has the only south facing beach on the Somme.

I am booked on a site there late July. (Like you I am taking a short trip across the Channel, in my case before a much longer trip late August/early September) Not been before but it looks good. I am booked Newhaven-Dieppe but it is easily accessible from both ferries.

Hope that gives some food for thought!

Chris
Nice town as well. The aire will be busy but is flat and adjacent to the sea.

Upvote 0
Mar 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We enjoyed Le Touquet last year,
stayed on the horsey aire, got free EHU!
Bonus 😊
Only 1 hours drive from Calais it was our first stop and didn’t have high expectations but we really enjoyed the flat cycle track into town and beach and because weather was good stayed 3 days!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back