A month in Provence Throughnal (19 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
In the morning we are off in our new to us van a Dethleffs Trend A Class 7057 I EB which we picked up a couple of weeks ago and in between working 12 hour shifts managed to get 280 ah of lithium with a 3000 watt inverter, fridge fans, an alarm and tracker and pimp it out. Solar didnt arrive in time so we will manage our electricity with occasional CCP which we would have to do at a couple of places anyway.
We have done Provence a few times. But we are going to be doing some different stuff. The plan, as it stands at the moment, and in no particular order will involve disused railway lines, underwater museum, balcony roads, clues, waterfalls, Beaux villages, gorge walks, parking on beaches, locations of the film "A Good Year" wine, beer, Calanques, bull runs and wild swimming in lakes with hopefully a couple of night time fetes. In general we wont be paying for anything apart from the aforementioned CCPs but we are not averse to paying occasionally and St Tropez will need a payment.

As can be seen below I plan lots of possibilities and just use this map as a guide rather than a plan.
1724359739962.png

We may change our mind as to which way we go tomorrow as we had planned to go to the Cascades du Herrison for Saturday but weather suggests very windy so we may shoot down Clermont way and over to the Ardeche and go somewhere from there or shoot down the Lyon road and join the queue or anything else we think of.

For those who have not read previous exploits what I tend to do is update the journal once a day (here) and it may be one, two, three entries, dependant upon what we have done. Then I put the links into a thread. So if you watch the thread you get a link to the journal entry/ies of the day.

The first couple of days will be really quite boring as wind our way down the non toll roads of France.

We have E bikes on Bosch batteries and fully aware of the free charging for them and other free ladestations or tankstelles as we are quite good at extracting free electricity and obtaining free water.

I have to finish this 12 hour night shift and we are booked on the 0930 Irish Ferry but hoping to catch the 0750 in the morning then have a kip at Bergues and see how we wake up as to which way.

The thread of this journal can be located here but probably wisest to watch this thread and take the link. The link isnt worth hitting at the moment as it is exactly the same as what is written above. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/blog/a-month-in-provence-throughnal.347/details

The thread (here) is open to all to comment and tell me I ve gone the wrong way or advise me that there is a boulangerie down the road etc and I get to keep the Journal side of things as a quick reference to help others who may go the area. I have done several other Journals which may or may not be useful to people

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In the morning we are off in our new to us van a Dethleffs Trend A Class 7057 I EB which we picked up a couple of weeks ago and in between working 12 hour shifts managed to get 280 ah of lithium with a 3000 watt inverter, fridge fans, an alarm and tracker and pimp it out. Solar didnt arrive in time so we will manage our electricity with occasional CCP which we would have to do at a couple of places anyway.
We have done Provence a few times. But we are going to be doing some different stuff. The plan, as it stands at the moment, and in no particular order will involve disused railway lines, underwater museum, balcony roads, clues, waterfalls, Beaux villages, gorge walks, parking on beaches, locations of the film "A Good Year" wine, beer, Calanques, bull runs and wild swimming in lakes with hopefully a couple of night time fetes. In general we wont be paying for anything apart from the aforementioned CCPs but we are not averse to paying occasionally and St Tropez will need a payment.

As can be seen below I plan lots of possibilities and just use this map as a guide rather than a plan.
1724359739962.png

We may change our mind as to which way we go tomorrow as we had planned to go to the Cascades du Herrison for Saturday but weather suggests very windy so we may shoot down Clermont way and over to the Ardeche and go somewhere from there or shoot down the Lyon road and join the queue or anything else we think of.

For those who have not read previous exploits what I tend to do is update the journal once a day (here) and it may be one, two, three entries, dependant upon what we have done. Then I put the links into a thread. So if you watch the thread you get a link to the journal entry/ies of the day.

The first couple of days will be really quite boring as wind our way down the non toll roads of France.

We have E bikes on Bosch batteries and fully aware of the free charging for them and other free ladestations or tankstelles as we are quite good at extracting free electricity and obtaining free water.

I have to finish this 12 hour night shift and we are booked on the 0930 Irish Ferry but hoping to catch the 0750 in the morning then have a kip at Bergues and see how we wake up as to which way.

The thread of this journal can be located here but probably wisest to watch this thread and take the link. The link isnt worth hitting at the moment as it is exactly the same as what is written above. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/blog/a-month-in-provence-throughnal.347/details

The thread (here) is open to all to comment and tell me I ve gone the wrong way or advise me that there is a boulangerie down the road etc and I get to keep the Journal side of things as a quick reference to help others who may go the area. I have done several other Journals which may or may not be useful to people
We are doing roughly the same thing 5 SEP so watching with interest

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

1724359739962.png

Have a good trip. We arrive in France next Tuesday and will be heading south but at our usual slow pace of just a couple of hours driving or so each day. That's the plan anyway, we shall see if we stick to it. :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Have a lovely time, we may be heading that way in a couple of weeks and love cycling recommendations.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
For those who are shortly following and using the ferries, but of a queue for passport control.
Don't get in the right hand queue for that as they take you on a detour after showing your passport causing a longer wait.
Then you need to get down to single file and if you have gone for Irish ferries keep on the right after you passed the customs check person. The queue is significantly less than the others.

Currently waiting for the 0930 which may be late and it is quite blowy out there

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looking forward to following your trip, we’re 6 weeks from retirement so planning our first long trip. We love Provence, we stayed at a camping car Aire right on a cycle path you might enjoy, also loads of quiet roads for cycling.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Looking forward to following your trip, we’re 6 weeks from retirement so planning our first long trip. We love Provence, we stayed at a camping car Aire right on a cycle path you might enjoy, also loads of quiet roads for cycling.

We are doing that cycle route. I haven't bothered looking at aires too intently a long there as well think we are coming down to Forcalquier then cycling west to Cavaillon passing all the "A Good Year" stuff and I m reckoning on having enough electric for those few days.
Then the cunning but changeable plan is to go to port St Louis CCP and Sausset Les pins CCP in order to risk getting robbed in Marseilles but swim out to the underwater museum. Then we can kick start going east on the other luberon voie vert.
We think we ll be cycling hills around castellane and sospel.
Finishing off with St Tropez cycling route to Les calanques.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Looking forward to following your trip, I'll be behind you, crossing on the tunnel next week after a couple of nights in Kent.
But like DBK I'll be a bit slower paced, taking in some of Luxembourg. Previously I've only ever used Luxembourg as a diesel stop which seems very unfair as I'm sure it'll have plenty to offer.
Enjoy your trip 😄
On the other hand if the weather is cold and wet I'll be bolting down to Provence 🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We are doing that cycle route. I haven't bothered looking at aires too intently a long there as well think we are coming down to Forcalquier then cycling west to Cavaillon passing all the "A Good Year" stuff and I m reckoning on having enough electric for those few days.
Then the cunning but changeable plan is to go to port St Louis CCP and Sausset Les pins CCP in order to risk getting robbed in Marseilles but swim out to the underwater museum. Then we can kick start going east on the other luberon voie vert.
We think we ll be cycling hills around castellane and sospel.
Finishing off with St Tropez cycling route to Les calanques.
This underwater museum sounds fascinating.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
As all above, looking forward to your posts, BUT, no pics, never happened. Looking forward to seeing them.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We leave on 4th September for 3 weeks and are going Poole to Cherbourg for a change. Not really planned anything yet other than we might visit the Ile de Re as we've not been there since before the bridge was built! I've got a new Haibike so we will do a bit of leisurely cycling along the way. I need to look up suavecarve's tips on the voie verts and other cycle routes. We have enjoyed Annecy in the past so might wander down that way. Looking forward to following this and others!

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
We leave on 4th September for 3 weeks and are going Poole to Cherbourg for a change. Not really planned anything yet other than we might visit the Ile de Re as we've not been there since before the bridge was built! I've got a new Haibike so we will do a bit of leisurely cycling along the way. I need to look up suavecarve's tips on the voie verts and other cycle routes. We have enjoyed Annecy in the past so might wander down that way. Looking forward to following this and others!
Blog 'West coast France, Dordogne and back' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/blog/west-coast-france-dordogne-and-back.324/

3 journal entries for ile de re from last year.
Our haibikes have Bosch batteries so might be worthy of acquainting with a map of the free Bosch electricity points. My original link seems less good. I ll see if I can find it for you. And NB the Brittany aires map from the tourist information office Thread 'Brittany all the Aires. Loads of them' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/brittany-all-the-aires-loads-of-them.269984/

If we hadn't done the west coast last year we would be heading there now. Ventusky suggests it is going to be very hot for a fortnight starting Monday. (And this afternoon)

Enjoy

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Have a good trip Jon.
What happened to you retiring this summer?
It's next year.
I had July 4th in my calendar but may have to put it back for tactical reasons for ripping the arse out of pension contributions.
They still owe me 8 extra days for this year and 3 days for 15 years service and I have 34 days (from August 1) and 4 days is 12 days off, 8 is 20, 12 is 28 etc so looking at about 12 blocks of work off so hardly working anyway.
Motorhome purchase wasn't expected but back caused me to look. So working past August (I have to be in the country in August next year) and getting another 20 days then taking them all (meaning they have to pay wages and pension which increases my income by quite a bit each month) seems like a plan, but booking 6 weeks off and texting in after 2 resigning seems like a plan as well.

It will be interesting when I get back. Redundancies all over the place. We have never been allowed to apply but they got rid of my boss (absolute idiotic move beyond comprehension) so they have opened the floodgates for the next round of redundancies and my hand will be up.

We should get into the beach by port St Louis where you have been previously. Unsure if we can overnight there anymore. Paula doesn't fancy it, thinks the tide will wash us away.....Corsica here we come !

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Suarvecarve and Abacist.
Last time we were in the Charente area we were invited for a drink by two Germans. They sliced up some Charente melons and poured into the boat middle some Pineau, a local drink I’m not fond of. It was delicious and we have done it ever since. You’re both off to the region, I’ll de rey etc, so give it a try. Mmmm
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back