A heads up for wine lovers ......

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
An interesting email from Majestic wines this morning.
More government lunacy....

[td]

Dear Customer,

You may have already read about the change in the new alcohol excise duty regime that is due to be implemented from 1st February 2025. Prior to the upcoming Budget, I wanted to take the opportunity to explain it further and share the impact it would have on us all next year.

The previous Government planned to impose a ‘tax-by-strength’ policy towards duty on alcohol. But because of the complexities involved in implementing this change, last year a ‘temporary wine easement’ was introduced, taxing all wines in the 11.5% - 14.5% ABV range with one single charge of £2.67 – the same duty rate for 12.5% ABV wines. You can read more about this here.

However, from 1st February 2025, the wine easement will disappear and be replaced by a separate duty charge for every 0.1% of ABV – meaning wines between 11.5% ABV and 14.5% ABV will have an unbelievable 30 different duty rates.

For example, 12.0% ABV wines will be taxed at £2.56 per bottle, whereas 12.7% ABV wines will be required to pay duty of £2.71 per bottle. A 14.5% ABV bottle of wine in the 30th band will have duty of £3.09, an extra 53p per bottle, an increase of over 20%.

At the time the policy was launched, the Treasury stated their aim was to create a duty system that would be simpler and fairer for wine businesses to administer. In reality, companies such as Majestic will need to invest six-figure sums just to develop the systems required to handle the new approach – due to the number of different wines that are produced and the variations in ABV% – with ongoing annual administrative costs likely to run into similar sums.

Unfortunately the increase in duty, coupled with the extra burden of administrative costs, could well result in increases to the prices consumers pay for wine. This will fuel inflation further at a time when we believe all steps should be taken to reduce inflationary pressures.

Today, wine is the most popular alcoholic drink in the UK and we are also the second-biggest importer of wine in the world as a nation, championing a diverse range of styles from all corners of the globe. Yet if the government presses ahead with these changes from 1st February 2025, it will undoubtedly impact our market and your favourite wines.

This is because there is a risk that producers will stop exporting wine to the UK entirely, due to the immense administrative burden. Smaller family-run vineyards, which we value so much, may not want to change processes that have been in place for generations, when they could easily export their wines elsewhere in the world without any additional costs and red tape

While Majestic, as the UKs largest wine merchant, would undoubtedly have to adapt, the industry also has concerns about the future of more than 900 independent wine merchants operating across the country. We fear that the cost and complexity of these unnecessary new alcohol duty rules could pose a threat to these smaller businesses and the livelihoods of those working tirelessly within them. At a time when supporting smaller businesses and local high streets is very important, this policy would do the polar opposite.

We have been engaging with Treasury officials alongside the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA), to lobby for urgent change. But with less than four months remaining until this policy comes into force, I wanted to explain to our loyal customers what these changes will mean from February 2025 – basically your favourite wines could increase in price, or at worst disappear from shelves altogether next year.

Following the General Election, Majestic, the WSTA and many other wine businesses began engaging with the new Government to explain the consequences of the duty regime they inherited and advise them of the negative impact it will have on our vibrant industry.

I would ask you, as a passionate and knowledgeable wine customer, to engage with your locally elected MP and share your view on the impact that this poorly thought through alcohol duty policy will have on all wine merchants operating in your constituencies

Regards,

John Colley,
Chief Executive, Majestic

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Madness. Another reason why we buy all the alcohol we drink at home in the EU. Wine quota when we return next week and then a free trip across to Calais before Christmas to top up for the festive season. Broadly speaking same wine 50% cheaper.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
An interesting email from Majestic wines this morning.
More government lunacy....

[td]

Dear Customer,

You may have already read about the change in the new alcohol excise duty regime that is due to be implemented from 1st February 2025. Prior to the upcoming Budget, I wanted to take the opportunity to explain it further and share the impact it would have on us all next year.

The previous Government planned to impose a ‘tax-by-strength’ policy towards duty on alcohol. But because of the complexities involved in implementing this change, last year a ‘temporary wine easement’ was introduced, taxing all wines in the 11.5% - 14.5% ABV range with one single charge of £2.67 – the same duty rate for 12.5% ABV wines. You can read more about this here.

However, from 1st February 2025, the wine easement will disappear and be replaced by a separate duty charge for every 0.1% of ABV – meaning wines between 11.5% ABV and 14.5% ABV will have an unbelievable 30 different duty rates.

For example, 12.0% ABV wines will be taxed at £2.56 per bottle, whereas 12.7% ABV wines will be required to pay duty of £2.71 per bottle. A 14.5% ABV bottle of wine in the 30th band will have duty of £3.09, an extra 53p per bottle, an increase of over 20%.

At the time the policy was launched, the Treasury stated their aim was to create a duty system that would be simpler and fairer for wine businesses to administer. In reality, companies such as Majestic will need to invest six-figure sums just to develop the systems required to handle the new approach – due to the number of different wines that are produced and the variations in ABV% – with ongoing annual administrative costs likely to run into similar sums.

Unfortunately the increase in duty, coupled with the extra burden of administrative costs, could well result in increases to the prices consumers pay for wine. This will fuel inflation further at a time when we believe all steps should be taken to reduce inflationary pressures.

Today, wine is the most popular alcoholic drink in the UK and we are also the second-biggest importer of wine in the world as a nation, championing a diverse range of styles from all corners of the globe. Yet if the government presses ahead with these changes from 1st February 2025, it will undoubtedly impact our market and your favourite wines.

This is because there is a risk that producers will stop exporting wine to the UK entirely, due to the immense administrative burden. Smaller family-run vineyards, which we value so much, may not want to change processes that have been in place for generations, when they could easily export their wines elsewhere in the world without any additional costs and red tape

While Majestic, as the UKs largest wine merchant, would undoubtedly have to adapt, the industry also has concerns about the future of more than 900 independent wine merchants operating across the country. We fear that the cost and complexity of these unnecessary new alcohol duty rules could pose a threat to these smaller businesses and the livelihoods of those working tirelessly within them. At a time when supporting smaller businesses and local high streets is very important, this policy would do the polar opposite.

We have been engaging with Treasury officials alongside the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA), to lobby for urgent change. But with less than four months remaining until this policy comes into force, I wanted to explain to our loyal customers what these changes will mean from February 2025 – basically your favourite wines could increase in price, or at worst disappear from shelves altogether next year.

Following the General Election, Majestic, the WSTA and many other wine businesses began engaging with the new Government to explain the consequences of the duty regime they inherited and advise them of the negative impact it will have on our vibrant industry.

I would ask you, as a passionate and knowledgeable wine customer, to engage with your locally elected MP and share your view on the impact that this poorly thought through alcohol duty policy will have on all wine merchants operating in your constituencies

Regards,

John Colley,
Chief Executive, Majestic

As you say lunacy but by the sound of it lunacy inherited from the previous regeme and not altered it could well not be top of the agenda. It would be a lot more sensible to just charge the average across the range

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
As you say lunacy but by the sound of it lunacy inherited from the previous regeme and not altered it could well not be top of the agenda. It would be a lot more sensible to just charge the average across the range
Silly ,you used the word ‘sensible’ when talking about government policies 😄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
And in Scotland don't forget the recent additional 15p per unit kindly added by the SNP. :worried:
I thought that was minimum pricing. Unfortunately I guess it means everything will increase to maintain price differentials …

JnJ

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
I thought that was minimum pricing. Unfortunately I guess it means everything will increase to maintain price differentials …
Yes it is minimum pricing, just gone up from 50p to 65p per unit which is in addition to the above mentioned tax changes and possibly another tax increase after the budget. :rolleyes:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Wine is a pleasure. Governments don’t like us having pleasures in life so tax the hell out of them.

Aji

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
One of my Tee shirts
20241006_180630.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't really understand why it's such an issue for wine importers / retailers.

Excise duty on sprits has always been calculated on LPA (litres of pure alcohol) as that's what the tax is on. As far as I can see it's just harmonisation of the system.

As an example the excise duty on a bottle of Gordons Gin (38.5 ABV) is less than a bottle of Tanqueray Gin (41.3 ABV) despite them being bottled down exactly the same production line. Yes, the botanicals are different but the base spirit is the same.

The excise duty is payable upon removal from a bonded premises not from the retail premises. I guess Majestic's shops are not bonded so the products will be Excise Duty paid when sold to Joe Public?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Good news for the ferry companies.
The Booze Cruise is back, Day trips to the wine warehouses of Calais.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I will be going back to own brew when I run out of the French stuff. Better get started soon! :drinks:🍷🍷🍷

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I will be going back to own brew when I run out of the French stuff. Better get started soon! :drinks:🍷🍷🍷
Indeed, it takes a grape vine 7 years before it produces it's first crop, and the wine needs a year to vintage.
So if you plant this spring, your first product should be ready by October 2032!

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Indeed, it takes a grape vine 7 years before it produces it's first crop, and the wine needs a year to vintage.
So if you plant this spring, your first product should be ready by October 2032!
Luckily I am not a wine connoisseur and just like what I like and I quite like the wine I have made from quite expensive wine kits, about £30 for 30 odd bottles of an acceptable Merlot and about two weeks to make it.
I lived in the middle of thousands of hectares of vineyards for 20 years and what I make it equally as good (to me) as their “vin de paye”. When I get round to making it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back