A German travels round Scotland (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Jurgen,can you please have a word with the idiots in Brussels and have our 90 day rule extended, danke schoen😉
I think the idiot in Brussels who was responsible for our unlimited days rule becoming restricted to 90 days is now back in the UK trying to become the Leader of the Opposition. You get your very own chance to thank him warmly on July 4th.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I would recommend NOT travelling in a straight line from Manchester to Oxford. Start with a side trip to Liverpool, home of the Beatles, a wonderful art gallery 2 Cathedrals, the Mersey River plus beautiful architecture. Then down to Chester to see a Roman city surrounded by a city wall that makes a lovely walk and an interesting shopping district built on two levels in Tudor style. Shrewsbury is an historic market town worth a stop, in my opinion, and also Bridgnorth on the River Severn. Worcester, Hereford, Ledbury and Gloucester all worth visiting. Gloucester has historic docks on the River Severn and a beautiful Cathedral. As you drive across country to Oxford from Gloucester you can explore some of the Cotswold towns and villages where our "rich and famous" live. Examples include, Winchcombe, Lechlade (the source of the Thames) Bourton-on-the-Water, Bibury, Northleach. All very pretty but not necessarily motorhome friendly.
Without knowing your interests and hobbies, it's difficult to make more specific recommendations. If you choose to drive straight down the M6 out of Manchester you will miss a lot that's worth seeing.
I envy your travels. Have fun.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018
South Angus, South of the Sidlaws.
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseSelect184
Exp
Since 2011
Dear all,

there is much information about touring in Scotland in this forum, but if you don't mind, please let me know about your best experiences, updated this year. We will be entering UK at Newcastle on September 11th.
  1. We scanned this forum and other websites and found the following tour the best for a 4 weeks trip: Edinburgh - Stirling - Pitlochry - Cairngorms Park - Glenmore Lodge - Aviemore - Inshriach House - Inverness - Urquhat Castle - Fort William - Glennfinnan Viaduct.
  2. We have not yet decided if we should also make the Ilse of Skye, because we don't know how good (narrow?) streets are on the island and how much time we would need.
  3. We will travel down to the English Channel thereafter with stops at Manchester and Oxford. Any recommendations for sightseeing along that way (except London) are also very welcome.
  4. As I'm a full member of Motorhomefun, could you recommend club campsites, which guarantee good locations and services? I like wild camping but have no experiences about that in the UK. Comments in this forum are somehow contradictory.
  5. Is Agrocamping also common in the UK? We like farms and local (private) cooking and also contact to the people!
  6. Should we take pedelecs with us - I find only a few tours in Komoot for this area?
Thank you in advance for your comments.

Greetings from cold and rainy Rhine valley.

Jürgen
--------------------
My campervan: Fiat Ducato, Westfalia Columbus, 6 m
A collection of photos made during travels: black and white photos
Hi Jurgen,
You should be fine on Skye. We have a 6.4 m Ducato van and got around Skye no problem (even down the single track to the great Glen Brittle campsite).
You've chosen a good time of year - should be a bit quieter as schools are back in both Scotland and England.

If you use Facebook, it's worth checking the Motorhome Touring Scotland group for recommendations as well as here!

Enjoy your trip!

Nov 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Wildax Aurora
We are just in Pitlochry.. Whilst there, Queens View gives a great view of Loch Tummel, and Soldiers Leap is a nice walk/view.

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
I love Edradour.
It isn’t near Crieff though - it’s near Pitlochry and now closed to the public - but still makes good whisky!
Glenturret is based in Crieff.
Other distilleries are available! 😜

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
bailey
Dear all,

there is much information about touring in Scotland in this forum, but if you don't mind, please let me know about your best experiences, updated this year. We will be entering UK at Newcastle on September 11th.
  1. We scanned this forum and other websites and found the following tour the best for a 4 weeks trip: Edinburgh - Stirling - Pitlochry - Cairngorms Park - Glenmore Lodge - Aviemore - Inshriach House - Inverness - Urquhat Castle - Fort William - Glennfinnan Viaduct.
  2. We have not yet decided if we should also make the Ilse of Skye, because we don't know how good (narrow?) streets are on the island and how much time we would need.
  3. We will travel down to the English Channel thereafter with stops at Manchester and Oxford. Any recommendations for sightseeing along that way (except London) are also very welcome.
  4. As I'm a full member of Motorhomefun, could you recommend club campsites, which guarantee good locations and services? I like wild camping but have no experiences about that in the UK. Comments in this forum are somehow contradictory.
  5. Is Agrocamping also common in the UK? We like farms and local (private) cooking and also contact to the people!
  6. Should we take pedelecs with us - I find only a few tours in Komoot for this area?

Jürgen
--------------------
Hi we are on our way to the thine valley now hopes its improved . Defo visit the kelpies you can stay overnight. We have a 7.5m mhome and had no issues on skye its lovely so give it a try.

Oct 5, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Pub overnight stays often free if you buy a drink or a meal. Not an organised page but you can search for places search Facebook for “UK pub stopover reviews for motorhomes and campervans. “

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We live in Perth. You can park overnight in the South Inch car park - no facilities. Or there’s a good campsite at Scone, adjacent to Scone Palace.

Feel free to mail me if you need further information, or help.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Edinburgh is , imo , a must visit. Campsites are ok , we have a great bus service . You can also easily park in the city centre after 6.30/leave at 8.30 . Avoid feeding meters , £5+ per hour . Also many spots outwith centre , easy walk into town . Unfortunately paid parking area is gradually expanding

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Jürgen, I’m sure you’ll have a great holiday. The motorway service areas along the M6 are pretty good, some better than others. Gretna is good for instance. Always plenty of room to park in designated areas for caravans and motorhomes.
Some of the roads in Scotland can be very narrow eg parts of the North Coast 500.
If you like marmalade with your toast don’t forget to buy a jar of Whisky Marmalade!
Finally, if anyone asks you something and you haven’t a clue what they’re saying just reply “Och Ay” and you’ll be fine. Happy motorhoming.

Hippo999

Free Member
Jun 14, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker RB
Dear all,

Jürgen
--------------------
Wild camping isn't allowed in England but you can get a similar experience by looking for pubs with campsites. We've stayed at several over the years and been pretty well looked after and you're bound to meet people. Try this link https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/pubs-with-camping.
viel Glück.

Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMLi880
Exp
Owned a MH since 2012
Thanks! I didn't know about "searchforsites". Looks good!
If you think you might like to stay at campsites along the route - check well ahead as quite a few close for the winter. We did a two week tour in a February and only spent 2 nights on an actual campsite. Use the app ‘Search for Sites’ - we did and found lots of places to overnight as well as empty & refill along the route. As for Skye - don’t worry about roads as most are really good and we had no problem at all with our 9m tag axle unit.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
If you go to Lochore Meadows the biggest gliding field in Scotland is very close if thats of any interest. And there’s a steep but relatively short climb to the top of Bishop Hill for a good viewpoint if you need some exercise :)

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Dear all,

Jürgen
--------------------
Haven't had time to read other remarks, but just back from Scotland and the only remark I would make is try not to be lured on to Skye. It's full most days and extremely busy because access over the bridge is too easy. There are many more places that are just as attractive with fwer people.

Sep 4, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Dear all,

Jürgen
--------------------
Hi,
Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide to do. There is an app called Park4night which details can friendly parking places for vans, and tells you if overnight parking is allowed or not. There are other similar apps which others may be able to recommend. Apologies if this has already been mentioned 👍

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Wild camping isn't allowed in England but you can get a similar experience by looking for pubs with campsites. We've stayed at several over the years and been pretty well looked after and you're bound to meet people. Try this link https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/pubs-with-camping.
viel Glück.
To be fair you can 'wild camp' in England.
Use the apps (for me searchforsites and park4 night) and you'll find plenty . But yes pub stops are great

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Sevos Jurgen

I'd second a stop in the Lake District on the way up or down. Should look lovely in September
Also worth a look at Kielder forest/water. You can camp overnight in the South East car park.
Not sure you've given the dimensions of your van. - look at Google Earth for the sort of roads.
Definitely attack Northern Scotland via Sterling (and the Kelpies) and not Loch Lomond West side (road is a bugger for motorhomes).
Plenty of good sites - one of my favourites is Kinlochewe CAMC. The road from the East is fine and the view of the water is outstanding.

Alles gut.

OP
OP
Schelli
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
We are just in Pitlochry.. Whilst there, Queens View gives a great view of Loch Tummel, and Soldiers Leap is a nice walk/view.
That's where we want to go to see the games. The camping is fully booked. Is there any alternative nearby? I coudn't find any. Thanks! Jürgen

OP
OP
Schelli
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
To be fair you can 'wild camp' in England.
Use the apps (for me searchforsites and park4 night) and you'll find plenty . But yes pub stops are great
Thanks! Pub stops are fine. In Germany it is called Landvergnügen. But you'll need the app.

OP
OP
Schelli
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Hey all. No one has mentioned th Lake District. Busy yes but worth it and perfect for a stopover heading south. You can stay on our drive in Windermere if you like!
Thanks. Is on our list... getting longer and longer...

OP
OP
Schelli
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
If you go to Lochore Meadows the biggest gliding field in Scotland is very close if thats of any interest. And there’s a steep but relatively short climb to the top of Bishop Hill for a good viewpoint if you need some exercise :)
I live viewpoints to shoot landscape photos.

OP
OP
Schelli
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Hi Jürgen, I’m sure you’ll have a great holiday. The motorway service areas along the M6 are pretty good, some better than others. Gretna is good for instance. Always plenty of room to park in designated areas for caravans and motorhomes.
Some of the roads in Scotland can be very narrow eg parts of the North Coast 500.
If you like marmalade with your toast don’t forget to buy a jar of Whisky Marmalade!
Finally, if anyone asks you something and you haven’t a clue what they’re saying just reply “Och Ay” and you’ll be fine. Happy motorhoming.
Thanks for your post. I'm reading them all with great interest.

OP
OP
Schelli
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
We live in Perth. You can park overnight in the South Inch car park - no facilities. Or there’s a good campsite at Scone, adjacent to Scone Palace.

Feel free to mail me if you need further information, or help.
Thanks!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
and not Loch Lomond West side (road is a bugger for motorhomes).
Disagree... yes may be difficult...but tuck behind a lorry or coach.. but even without them it is worth it for a much better experience and look at the wilder side of Scotland...
Been along there many many times.. 8mtr moho and also large twin axle tugger..
Take time n you will be fine..
If you feel you need to "chill" half way along an overnight stop at the famous (and haunted ) Drovers Inn is highly recommended..
Edit to add.... you will encounter much much more difficult roads in Scotland than this one...👍👍

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Disagree... yes may be difficult...but tuck behind a lorry or coach.. but even without them it is worth it for a much better experience and look at the wilder side of Scotland...
Been along there many many times.. 8mtr moho and also large twin axle tugger..
Take time n you will be fine..
If you feel you need to "chill" half way along an overnight stop at the famous (and haunted ) Drovers Inn is highly recommended..
Edit to add.... you will encounter much much more difficult roads in Scotland than this one...👍👍
I agree with you. It's only a 4-5 miles stretch which is a little difficult. I drove a lorry up that road once a week for 3 or 4 years without as much as a cracked wing mirror. It's the main road north on the west coast, if you slow down and take a little care you'll be fine. Schelli have a look at the Google maps file I sent you, none of those roads are difficult (y)

Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
just backing the recommendation for park4night app (I’m using it in Germany just now!). There are more and more Aires opening up around Scotland - they are on the app too.

Take your bikes. There is extensive cycle paths that we’ve used many times. Not as developed as the continent, but plenty. I use Cycle.travel app with Komoot. The OS Maps app is good. There are nice safe rides around Loch Katrine and out of Ballater. There are mountain bike parks dotted around too.

Edinburgh - for a campsite, Silverknowes is probably the best. For wild camping - Fettes Avenue. Have used it many times and you are outside a Police College!

Remember to bring adapters for LPG if needed.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Edinburgh - for a campsite, Silverknowes is probably the best
IMHO..For a much easier bus route into city center, an on site bar and restaurant and price Mortonhall camp site easy surpasses CAMC Silverknowes...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back