A Class windscreen

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Morning All

We are thinking about buying an A class motorhome .Has anyone got any experience of obtaining* replacement windscreens ? I imagine standard Ducato or sprinter screens are available off the shelf but not sure about A class , especially European brands . .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think any A class screen will be as easily available as a standard Ducato or Transit but that still wouldn't stop me from having an A class, the last screen we needed was for a N+B Flair which is not a common model but the screen was in the UK ready and waiting, I don't know that our current one in in stock but hopefully wouldn't take long to source if required.

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
hi Steve

nice to meet you both yesterday

We needed a new screen earlier this year as ours cracked from the bottom literally for no reason

LV insurance and Autoglass took 1 week to source one from Belgium/Holland I think they said and it was fitted in less than 2 weeks from me reporting it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
A class windscreens can be £3,000+ so check your insurance covers the full cost, as they seem very delicate and you will need one at some point.
Also check insurance quotes for a class and the equivalent coachbuilt, comfort wanted an extra £1,000 just for being an a classs.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our A class Hymer windscreen cracked a few years ago. Comfort insurance got Autoglass to fit on our drive in about 2 weeks. 2 days later the new one cracked despite me not moving the motorhome at all. Autoglass fitted another one at their expense a week later.

I was surprised how quickly they got the screens, given that ours was specifically handed to RHD vehicle because of the holes for the wipers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
hi Steve

nice to meet you both yesterday

We needed a new screen earlier this year as ours cracked from the bottom literally for no reason

LV insurance and Autoglass took 1 week to source one from Belgium/Holland I think they said and it was fitted in less than 2 weeks from me reporting it.
Hi Al
Great to meet you too . We were weighing things up last night ( as you do ! ) and I suddenly had a thought about windscreens. The chaps on the Carthago stand told us general spare parts can take up to 6 months to get from Carthago !
Like you , My existing van is starting to look very attractive lol 😂

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
The company that replaced my Hymer windscreen had no problem sourcing 2 A-class windscreens.

They smashed one on the first attempt at fitting. There was a bit of a wait to get the windscreen in the country but not a ridiculous amount of time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
6 months is quick lol

To get our drivers side seatbelt sorted took 2 1/2 years 😱

We’ve not been able to lower our front bed since last Oct due to the motorised tv lift failing, we here now at the dealers trying to find out when the parts are arriving to get our van finally sorted so we can go away this coming winter and hopefully everything will work (praying more like lol)

Keep in touch to let us know how you get on

Al 👍

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
National windscreens took 6 months to get one for our dethleffs but chelston got and fitted one to our new carthago within a few weeks.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC t789
Exp
On 4th van so not a total newbie....
National windscreens took 6 months to get one for our dethleffs but chelston got and fitted one to our new carthago within a few weeks.
The concern is that if you are away and the screen is unsafe /unstable you cant wait a few weeks?

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The concern is that if you are away and the screen is unsafe /unstable you cant wait a few weeks?
They are laminated so unless it's a crash or similar they are normally OK to drive.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back