A botched RAC rescue turned our French road trip into an ordeal (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2021
Funster No
When our new motorhome broke down in France we felt unsafe and were stranded for five days

When I retired from work last year, my wife and I set off on a road trip to France in our new motorhome. Two weeks into our trip, the engine failed on a campsite. We’d bought a £284 breakdown policy with the RAC, including European cover, and a recovery vehicle arrived promptly. The mechanic was unable to fix the problem, so we were told it would be towed to a dealership. However, the recovery truck was not long enough to carry the vehicle and, after trying to manoeuvre it off the campsite, the driver left it blocking a lane. A larger truck was eventually sent and, since it was getting late, the motorhome was moved to a storage depot for the night.

The site, shared with a breaker’s yard, was unstaffed and we were advised by the driver to stay with the vehicle for security reasons. That night we witnessed people with their faces covered entering vehicles and removing their contents. It felt very menacing. The RAC was unable to find a dealership willing to take us the next day and offered us a hotel, but we feared it would be unsafe to leave the motorhome unattended in the depot, so spent another alarming night expecting to be transferred to a repair garage the next day.

Continue reading...

Continue reading...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
just to clarify...

this a news story from the Guardian ..

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It appears he didn't check the policy for length of vehicle covered at the outset. After that it's the RAC's failure.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A strange post, in one place it says the RAC payed for the repair, can't see that happening.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
OP is currently residing in Coventry. Stranger and stranger 🤔

270 posts,only two likes? joined and last seen same date? strange indeed.
I have my suspicions 🙂

View attachment 899332

IMG_4564.jpeg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So anyway what's happened to the guy in the op now, is he back home? What was up with the van?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back