90 days Norway & 8 Country Tour. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Found it , you have to pay a small toll to get there but well worth it. You could wild camp nearby when we went in 2015.
Screenshot_20240718-110038.png

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Hi cyberyacht , thanks. Is that the Fantoft, which is a replica in Bergen itself. The original burned down in 1992 I think. We may go into Bergen this week and will try to find it if we can find good enough parking. We have visited two really old ones today about 800 years old. Amazing structures.
That's the one. The original dated back to 1150, only about thirty years younger than our parish church. We visited whilst on a cruise and went by bus. GoogleEarth shows fairly cramped parking unless not busy.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If anybody reading this knows of good places to visit South or East of Stavanger we would love suggestions, we still have 5 weeks left. We can investigate Denmark of course and even a bit of Germany. We don't like museums and the like very much. Mainly outdoor things.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
If anybody reading this knows of good places to visit South or East of Stavanger we would love suggestions, we still have 5 weeks left. We can investigate Denmark of course and even a bit of Germany. We don't like museums and the like very much. Mainly outdoor things.
If you're after the great outdoors, then this is an hour east of Stavanger -

And this is about 2 hours east of Stavanger -

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If you're after the great outdoors, then this is an hour east of Stavanger -

And this is about 2 hours east of Stavanger -

Thanks very much. But as I said in the Blog at over 80 and after her Stroke Judy is not up to that sort of hike. She does as much as she can but a couple of hours up hill is just too much. We wanted to do it though.

Dec 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Hi
Thanks for your posts, have read all of it and found very interesting. We are currently on day 29 and still heading north. Currently at UKK National Park, about 25km south of Inari in Finland, and still enjoying the 'midnight sun', just, I believe the sun sets again in two days and a few more days at Nordkapp. As you say, Scandinavia is fantastic for this sort of travel, this is our 7th trip, summer and winter, north and south. Our plans are to go as far north and east as we can in Finnmark, across to the Barrents Sea coast. And then, our tick trip to Nordkapp (our first time!).

Have not decided yet, our trip south but probably across to Alta/Tromso/Semja/Lofoten, then Bodo and back into Sweden. We will monitor how busy it is in Lofoten and decide later. We do have another 7 weeks so hoping it will quieten down a bit when the schools go back in mid August.

Since our crossing from Stockholm to Turku (via Aland Isles which I highly recommend for a few days), we have not seen a single UK vehicle. Our journey north has been up the east side of Finland (generally following the Russian border) and this has been quiet most of the way. Mainly just Finnish motorhomes.

Enjoy the rest of your travels and have a safe journey, and thanks for the info. I will definitely look at your links as we begin going south.
If you manage to get to Alta the Tirpitz museum might be of interest, We intend to visit if we manage our Norway trip next year.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Thanks very much. But as I said in the Blog at over 80 and after her Stroke Judy is not up to that sort of hike. She does as much as she can but a couple of hours up hill is just too much. We wanted to do it though.
If you are wanting to explore the great Norwegian outdoors on more of a road trip than a hike, then the Norwegian Public Roads Authority have created a series of 18 Scenic Routes or "Nasjonale Turisvegar". I don't know if you have seen about them. There is a fantastic printed version from Tourist Offices with stunning photos and all English text. You can also access the information online.

East of you in Stavanger is this one -

South of you is this one -

As well as being beautiful routes in an amazing environment, the Public Roads Authority have commissioned architects to produce interesting and unique rest stops and viewing platforms along the each route, which is an added attraction.

By the nature of the terrain, the roads are often narrow, steep, and bendy. Even when single track we've found that the frequency of passing places makes them not too onerous.

We're planning on this one tomorrow, heading up from Sognefjord on the Sognefjellet - described as the roof of Norway, as it's the highest pass in Northern Europe at 1,434 metres (4,730 feet).

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If you are wanting to explore the great Norwegian outdoors on more of a road trip than a hike, then the Norwegian Public Roads Authority have created a series of 18 Scenic Routes or "Nasjonale Turisvegar". I don't know if you have seen about them. There is a fantastic printed version from Tourist Offices with stunning photos and all English text. You can also access the information online.

East of you in Stavanger is this one -

South of you is this one -

As well as being beautiful routes in an amazing environment, the Public Roads Authority have commissioned architects to produce interesting and unique rest stops and viewing platforms along the each route, which is an added attraction.

By the nature of the terrain, the roads are often narrow, steep, and bendy. Even when single track we've found that the frequency of passing places makes them not too onerous.

We're planning on this one tomorrow, heading up from Sognefjord on the Sognefjellet - described as the roof of Norway, as it's the highest pass in Northern Europe at 1,434 metres (4,730 feet).

Thank you, yes we have driven most of the scenic routes, should be doing the 44 Jaeren one on Wednesday. We are a bit east of that at the moment exploring some places along the 45 heading for Svartevatn. If you are working your way south I can thoroughly recommend the 520 from near Røldal to Sauda which I described in our blog last week. Only about 47 km and a little buttock clenching in places but some of the best views although not many stopping places with a large vehicle. But it will take a morning.
We are now south of Stavanger and seeking out good scenery. As we still have 5 weeks left and may run out of Norway. Trying to decide whether to do some of south Sweden or perhaps Denmark If we can’t find enough to excite us in southern Norway.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
The coast SW of Oslo has some interesting scenery with lots of low lying islands and marinas. We had our inflatable canoe which aided access but I think it's still an area worth exploring.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If you want to do the most southerly point in Norway to complement Nordkapp, you can park overnight at Lindesnes Fyr (lighthouse).
For an entrance fee you can visit the lighthouse and a small museum.
N 57.9851, E 7.04948
Going there tomorrow if it stops raining. :cautious:

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Great stuff. Thanks for posting your pics & information.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back