7" Avtec Satnav (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
The van we are purchasing, Fiat Ducato, has an on-board sat nav. It is a new van and we get in a couple of weeks. The dealer is also offering an Avtec Satnav (caravan club edition).

Does anyone have experience of the factory fitted sat nav versus the Avtec one?

Thank you

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
I am assuming when you say about removing to close the Remis blinds, you are talking about when using the Suction screen mount that comes with the Garmin?
If you don't have a Rear Mirror but have the attachment fixing on the screen, you can get the standard Mirror and Arm, remove the actual mirror, then detach the Garmin holder from the Garmin suction mount and fit that onto the Mirror Arm - it is a perfect fit.

Once done, you can leave the Garmin attached and in place when closing the Remis Blinds. It is a very worthwhile adaption IMO
This is what the OEM Mirror Arm looks like with the Garmin screen holder attached

Sat Nav by David, on Flickr

And with the screen clipped on

Sat Nav by David, on Flickr

Ref the comments on the Xgody SatNav unit... I know that is a popular unit with many folk. I tried one and I did not like it.
I've had various Sat Nav units built-in in various cars, integrated into aftermarket head units and also standalone units. In usability terms, I would put the Xgody at the bottom of the list and the Garmin at the top. I have Sat Nav built into my current Head Unit but still always use the Garmin Camper by preference. In my car, I have Android Auto on the head unit and in that vehicle I use Google Maps for Navigation and that is pretty nice. Not as good as the Garmin interface IMO, but good enough not to bother removing the Garmin in the Motorhome to use in the car on a journey.
Interesting solution, hadn’t thought of that one. Current MH with rear lounge has a mirror which I use. Tend to mount Garmin at bottom right of windscreen although that isn’t the best for the other half to see.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Interesting solution, hadn’t thought of that one. Current MH with rear lounge has a mirror which I use. Tend to mount Garmin at bottom right of windscreen although that isn’t the best for the other half to see.
Try mounting it centrally as per my post #29. The other half will see it clearly there, mind you it might cause some comments about the "sat nag" route!

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I added a standard rear view mirror even though you can't see much through it because I wanted to use it to support a combined electronic rear view mirror and dashcam unit. That was when I found that we have the standard Remis blinds which do not have a cut out to accomodate the mirror arm! Consequently they would not close fully and also the magnetic closures did not hold and they kept pinging open so you need to check this. I eventually fitted a bracket behind the cab lights to support my electronic rear view mirror.

Regarding standard head units, as far as I know the only units Fiat fit are their own Uconnect screens, 7"or 10" which are integrated to the vehicle so can display menus and settings. If you have an Xzent or other Chinese junk it will have been fitted by the converter who would have ordered the base vehicle sans head unit to save money.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Thank you for the replies.

The head unit looks like this

1726572071291.png

I have picked up a lot of information from your replies (thank you). From what I understand I can connect android auto via Uconnect and then run google maps etc. directly onto the head unit. I am unsure of the other apps mentioned such as Myroute navigation, Sygic, Magic Earth etc. having never used them but I will take a look.

So the answer is to ignore the offer on the Avtec, use android auto via Uconnect and an appropriate app. That saves a few £s to help upgrade elsewhere. Thank you again for you great help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I added a standard rear view mirror even though you can't see much through it because I wanted to use it to support a combined electronic rear view mirror and dashcam unit. That was when I found that we have the standard Remis blinds which do not have a cut out to accomodate the mirror arm!
I didn't think Remis made blinds for a particular vehicle that didn't have the cutout part. Some people think they have no cutout at the top as they don't notice there is a little bit that pushes out the way to accommodate the mirror arm ....

Consequently they would not close fully and also the magnetic closures did not hold and they kept pinging open so you need to check this.
The magnets are not the strongest and what I do is just get an elasticated band that I slip around both pull handles. That does the trick and when not in use I just keep it dropped around the gearstick gaiter out the way but easy to get.

Try mounting it centrally as per my post #29. The other half will see it clearly there, mind you it might cause some comments about the "sat nag" route!
Not a fan of these vent-mounted Phone/Sat Nav holders personally. Never seen one that fits well and doesn't wobble around, and you are blocking off a vent nicely to boot which is not ideal.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Thank you for the replies.

The head unit looks like this

View attachment 951146

I have picked up a lot of information from your replies (thank you). From what I understand I can connect android auto via Uconnect and then run google maps etc. directly onto the head unit. I am unsure of the other apps mentioned such as Myroute navigation, Sygic, Magic Earth etc. having never used them but I will take a look.

So the answer is to ignore the offer on the Avtec, use android auto via Uconnect and an appropriate app. That saves a few £s to help upgrade elsewhere. Thank you again for you great help
Is that the Xzent XF-275 ?

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Not a fan of these vent-mounted Phone/Sat Nav holders personally. Never seen one that fits well and doesn't wobble around, and you are blocking off a vent nicely to boot which is not ideal.
The Brodit mount leaves plenty of space for air to circulate. See the photos.
IMG_20240917_152637.jpg
IMG_20240917_152735.jpg

Upvote 0
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
The Brodit mount leaves plenty of space for air to circulate. See the photos.View attachment 951213View attachment 951214
Ah, so it is one of those :)
I thought you were talking about those vent holders that go into the vents and clamp onto the vanes within in the vent - and usually end up breaking them before falling off. The Brodit ones clamp onto the vent housing itself and are much more secure. I used to use one of those Brodit holders on my RAV4 for the phone and it was pretty good.
(still prefer my solution ;) )

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I didn't think Remis made blinds for a particular vehicle that didn't have the cutout part. Some people think they have no cutout at the top as they don't notice there is a little bit that pushes out the way to accommodate the mirror arm ....
Ours have metal channels which have recesses for the magnetic strip, and the channels are uniform from top to bottom with no cutouts or removable bits, hence they don't fit around a mirror stalk.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Well spotted, looks like an Xzent to me, same button markings as my Xzent F-285. Best avoided in my opinion.
Peterd82 assuming it is a Xzent and I connect via Android Auto/Android Links and use an app. Would there be an issue?

It looks like the satnav package would be X-MAP27-MH1 (online reviews are not good for this)

The size is 8cm x 20.3cm. The dealer is offering the Avtec (not sure what model) 7inches which is smaller than the Xzent. I do not know if this would replace the Xzent or be dash mount. It seems both are not the way to go but with the ability to connect to android it should work.

thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
The Xzent F-285 in mine does not have Android Auto, instead it has Android Link which is nothing like. I did manage to get it working in a sort of way but nothing like proper Android Auto and it frequently dropped out. It got on my nerves so much I moved from an Android phone to an iPhone and now use Carplay although this does have to be wired as far as I can tell. At least I can now use Waze but as this thinks I’m in a car I’m having on to my Garmin for now which being a Camper 780 is the same as the Avtex Tourer 2.

With hindsight I maybe should have changed the Xzent unit out rather than change phones but too late to worry about that now. Much easier to set route on Garmin, as someone said in an earlier post, can put destination into Garmin Drive from comfy warm armchair and it links to sat-nav and works.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Sorry, but from earlier posts it appeared that you had a Fiat head unit, but now it appears that is not the case and that you have the Xzent unit commonly fitted by converters.

If it is the same as I and others have had it does not support Android Auto which is unfortunate. The screen mirroring it provides instead is unreliable and a total pain.

Not sure what to suggest now. Unless you are good with DIY and auto electrics replacing the head unit yourself might not be an option but you could get a quote from one of the car hifi installers. When I replaced mine with a Pioneer Evo 950 I was able to sell the Xzent for about £400 on eBay which went a good way towards the cost of the Pioneer and the Connect2 steering wheel control interface.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Thank you. The dealer confirmed that it is the Xzent F-275.

Looking at the replies I will ask the dealer about the Avtex Sat Nav (where I started this thread). Even though it is not the best it is on offer quite cheap and does seem better than the replies I have had regarding the Xzent. I am waiting for a call back to see if the Avtex is fitted or dashmount

thank you

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB

Looking at the replies I will ask the dealer about the Avtex Sat Nav (where I started this thread). Even though it is not the best it is on offer quite cheap and does seem better than the replies I have had regarding the Xzent. I am waiting for a call back to see if the Avtex is fitted or dashmount

thank you
Judging from the following link it is pretty clear that the Avtex is an add on unit and does not replace the main vehicle screen.

It looks like it comes with a windscreen suction mount, so would probably need to be removed to close the window blinds.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

thank you
My opinion of the Zenec and Xzent units would have me sent to coventry for bad language!
But to put it at a basic level, they are cheap crap.

They are sold with out of date data, which means each purchaser needs to spend £70+ to get and update to get them to work at the basic level.
I'm sure this is simply a ploy so that the original Chinese manufacturer makes some money from the units.

We looked into replacement and after discussion with a In Car Entertainment (ICE) guy who had replaced several, we simply have left ours in place and bought a decent 'Stick-on-the-screen' Satnav (The Avtex Camper Three Plus/Garmin 795+ with dashcam)

We now only use our Zenec for the rear view camera and the FM radio.
Thats All.
A thousand pound unit getting a hundred pounds of use.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Judging from the following link it is pretty clear that the Avtex is an add on unit and does not replace the main vehicle screen.

It looks like it comes with a windscreen suction mount, so would probably need to be removed to close the window blinds.

We have a Avetex 7" tourer three plus with the stick on the screen mount.
We have a 2018 Mercedes Sprinter cab.
We have Remis blinds.

As long as it's mounted where the rear view mirror would be placed you can close the blinds.
Our Remis blinds have a slidable cut out for the rearview mirror

Note:
In order to get it high enough up the screen and not block your view the suction bit needs to be behind the satnav, not above it.
It also will not stick to the black section on the screen, as this is made of little pixels which let air get in under the sucker

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB

thank you
If you are keen to use Satnav apps on a phone rather than commit to a dedicated unit like the Avtex, then a lack of Android Auto need not be an obstacle. You could do what I have done in previous campers, and still do on my motorcycle, and use a phone to act directly as a satnav screen, and cut out the Android Auto middle man.

You can of course use your existing phone or alternatively get a top of the range Samsung phone, albeit from several years ago, such as an S20 or S21, as a refurb from Amazon or Back Market for about £200 to £250 with a one year guarantee to use for this purpose.

This will have a decent sized screen and can be linked by Bluetooth to your head unit to get audio including satnav instructions via the vehicle speakers. There are loads of excellent phone mounts available and the bonus is that you will have a spare phone with you should you damage or lose your main phone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Brains having read up on it and seen how to update the software (which you seem to need a phd and a fair wind to do) then I have to completely agree with you.

fred_jb Based on everyone's input the answer is to leave the current head unit where it is and purchase a separate unit for the dash (or wherever).

I spoke to the dealer and their Avtex would be dash mount anyway.

thank you all I have the answers I need - much appreciated

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back