4MM2 -> 3.3MM2 (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Trying to knock-up another solar panel using off the shelf components, feeding into my existing 20a Victron BlueSolar.
The screw terminals on the controller will only accept 1 pair of cables. I need to have tails with a (effectively) a permanent connection for the roof mounted panels and a 'connect when needed' for the third, deployable, panel.

I have 2x100w (or are they 125w? will check) wired in series with "4mm2" cable thro' to the controller. 1 joint at cable entry gland, 1 fuse in +ve
"4mm2" doesn't conform to an AWG standard.
10AWG=5.26mm2
12AWG=3.3mm2

The connectors available from amazon.es within the available timescale (next Tuesday!) are 12AWG.
I propose XT60 connectors:
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 15.13.06.jpg

One end removed and bare wires connected to Victron. Kept as short as possible and connect to one of these ...

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 15.17.45.jpg

To get the two-into-one feed. Then solder XT60 conns onto the existing panels' wiring and the portable's fly-lead.

What does the hive-mind think?

XT60's are rated for 30a, this lash-up will be passing <18 at most. I think.

I could, of course, use domestic choc-bloc connectors to get the 2-into-1 but that's a bit too bodgy even for me ...

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
But doesn't achieve the 2-into-1 connection, where 1 of the 2 is permanently connected and the second connected at will, on demand.
Plus notta lotta room, gonna be a bugger soldering the conns I need to make.
sorry, if i got the wrong 'vision', i thought you could run the two feeds into the incoming connections of the breaker as that will prob take two connecting cables and then into your Victron from the breaker with the single cables? you would of course need some sort of connector on the end where your portable panel would connect to ....

anyway, im sure youve worked it all out in your head LOL

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure I fully understand what you are doing. But for semi permanent installs I would look at 6mm capacity WAGO connectors and possibly but not necessarily bootlace ferules?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For making and breaking a circuit on a regular basis I don't think bare conductors are a good idea
I would use the WAGO for the permanent stuff. For instance in the diagram you provided. I would replace the bottom most XT connector with a WAGO. I would then delete the left hand XT connector leaving just the right hand XT connector. Not sure why you need all 3? I have XT connectors in my workshop, But would prefer a low current anderson connector for this type of project. Would also allow you to move to 6mm cable reducing losses further.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
XT60s will work but are not ideal to connect/disconnect regularly. I have fitted Anderson connectors for a few people to do similar as these are rated well above the capacity of the smaller XT60s. You can also bolt or screw down the receptacle part in the van to avoid straining wires.

Recovery trucks, aa, rac and off road all use these anderson plugs as high power connectors for winches and jump leads

Also you need to calculate voltage drop over the length of the wires and for each connector

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’ve used XT60’s and indeed the larger XT90’s in RC models with high amp draw brushless motors and LiPo batteries very successfully over many years. They are much better than say Deans connectors.

The other option is bullet connectors which I have used up to 8s LiPos and with 200A+ draw requirements.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So the made-up XT60 connectors with cables arrived from A.es today; too weedy for my liking so they're going back ...
Using WAGO connectors and 10AWG throughout instead.
Good decision in my opinion. Although why you insist on using american cable sizes bemuses me :p

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Easier to type AWG than mm² ;)
But I am guessing minimises the number of people who understand what you are talking about :( I have no idea what any AWG size is, all I know is it is back to front. :(
PS I Never even learned British wire guages.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
But I am guessing minimises the number of people who understand what you are talking about :( I have no idea what any AWG size is, all I know is it is back to front. :(
PS I Never even learned British wire guages.
American Wire Gauge. Something never used in the UK. We used SWG or Standard Wire Gauge.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The americans have a lot to answer for.
Cables sizes that get bigger the smaller the cable gets.
Dates that are back to front.
Calling a game football where you are not allowed to use your feet.
Having a world series that doesn't invite any other country.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
But I am guessing minimises the number of people who understand what you are talking about :( I have no idea what any AWG size is, all I know is it is back to front.
To make wire, you start off with round copper bar, and literally pull it through a hole (called a die) that is a bit smaller than the bar diameter. If that's not small enough, you get another die slightly smaller, and pull it through that. Eventually you get wire that's thin enough for what you want. You can't reduce it by too much in one go, or it just snaps.

American Wire Gauge just tells you how many times you have to send it through the gradually reducing die sizes until it's the size you want. So 14AWG has been through 14 dies (dice?).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back