3D Scanners (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Any Funsters have any 3D scanner experiences or recommendations they'd like to share ?
I’m looking for a 3D Scanner myself. The 2 I’m thinking of is the Einstar and the Creality Raptor. The Einstar seems to have really good intuitive software with excellent editing features, but needs quite a powerful computer to work. The Raptor on the other hand seems to have two modes of scanning, (IR and Blue Light) which makes it very versatile from small objects right up to nearly car size scans. It’s happy with lower powered computers. The software however gets poor comments. Can’t give you any hands on help unfortunately as I’ve not made the leap yet. Going to decide when we get back from Germany next month. I will watch this thread with great interest. Will let you know what I end up with and what it’s like.
PaulandChrissy 👍

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you're making an organic shaped part, they can be great. Or if you're trying to copy or fit in with some complex geometry. But if it's an engineering part, you're still going to need some strong cad skills to get the holes and faces precisely correct. I'd like a scanner, but generally I'd probably only use it to scan the area I want the part to fit in to. I'd probably still design it in something like OnShape with lots of parameters so I can adjust stuff between iterations.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
If you're making an organic shaped part, they can be great. Or if you're trying to copy or fit in with some complex geometry. But if it's an engineering part, you're still going to need some strong cad skills to get the holes and faces precisely correct. I'd like a scanner, but generally I'd probably only use it to scan the area I want the part to fit in to. I'd probably still design it in something like OnShape with lots of parameters so I can adjust stuff between iterations.
Completely agree. CAD skills are a must. A scanner to my mind would just be an additional tool to aid in getting your original broken part into CAD. Measuring from scratch with a micrometer is time consuming and one mistake can waste hours of work. Having an accurate mesh of the part in CAD would save a ton of time.
👍PaulandChrissy👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My current process normally means making a rough CAD design of the hardest part. Then printing it in draft mode with low infill. If it's large, I'll sometimes cleave the part in the slicer so it's only printing the hard bit of the total part to get it in my hand a bit quicker. Then I can see if it fits. Or maybe spot some design improvements. Add some fillets to stiffen it up. And maybe a little flare like a fun logo. It's rare a print will work first time.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
My current process normally means making a rough CAD design of the hardest part. Then printing it in draft mode with low infill. If it's large, I'll sometimes cleave the part in the slicer so it's only printing the hard bit of the total part to get it in my hand a bit quicker. Then I can see if it fits. Or maybe spot some design improvements. Add some fillets to stiffen it up. And maybe a little flare like a fun logo. It's rare a print will work first time.
Same here. Only the simplest of designs work first time, but even then, 10 minutes later I’ve thought of some improvements that you just have to include. 👍

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Same here. Only the simplest of designs work first time, but even then, 10 minutes later I’ve thought of some improvements that you just have to include. 👍
Sometimes, it's not until you've printed a first iteration that you offer it up to where it'll go... and you realise that it would be smarter to print it in a different orientation, which might totally alter how you design the part.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Having left AutoCad (and its progeny) behind a long, long time ago and not prepared to get into something as heavy as OnShape, what CAD apps did you start with ?
I was taught AutoCAD as a civil engineer. But I haven't used it for decades. I've played with Fusion360, FreeCAD and OpenSCAD. But I'm currently finding OnShape my go-to.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Having left AutoCad (and its progeny) behind a long, long time ago and not prepared to get into something as heavy as OnShape, what CAD apps did you start with ?
Fusion 360 is my go to. Experimented with many others for about a month at first, but settled on Fusion because there were so many tutorial videos on it, and all the big YouTube 3D printer boffins used it. It was a steep learning curve at first, but I’m comfortable with it now. Still tons to learn, but I can create projects quite efficiently now.
🙂👍

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I am hoping to find someone to print the door shelves for my Dometic fridge/freezer. They are so flimsy always had Thetford before never broke a shelf, Dometic replacements are expensive and still break.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I am hoping to find someone to print the door shelves for my Dometic fridge/freezer. They are so flimsy always had Thetford before never broke a shelf, Dometic replacements are expensive and still break.
I think they'll be bigger than most people's printers can cope with. And they won't be transparent or as smooth and wipe clean. 3d printers can't do everything yet.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
What is the length of the shelf

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
It's rare my prints work even on the third or fourth print/design 😂.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back