3D printing (1 Viewer)

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
PaulandChrissy have been very successful with their 3D printer and have made loads of stuff for vans. I purchased a few bits and my Best Buy is definately the water filler funnel - my feet haven’t got soaked since I bought it!!!
Photo is of the lpg European adaptors holder.
View attachment 703338
Yep , plus one for Paul and Chrissy , bought the gas adapter holder , water funnel and hose attachment for filler point , all top quality stuff and very well priced for such custom made parts.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
PaulandChrissy

I meant the habitation door. Predictive text doh!

But thanks, helpful as you always are ! At some point I will be prob be looking to move to a better printer than the Creality Ender 5 Pro so will be bending your ears a lot lol!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I use tinker cad at the moment, it seemed easy as a starting point and it proved to be aswell, though I suspect it's not as easy as right rope walking ... Lol

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I print myself and have done now for a few years.

Current printer is a Ender 5 Pro.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
20230515_152057.jpg

Prusa Mk2.5 and Fusion 360 along with help from IKEA. Bit overboard perhaps from me but completely under utilised space from the manufacturer. The white shelves in the corner would have cost an extra few cents in a van that now sells for more than 70k
20230515_151948.jpg

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I also use fusion 360 and ideaMaker for slicing, not very often these days as the novely wore off.
Just be aware that doing anything takes AGES, I mean ages. You will spend a load of time calibrating your machine, then trying a prototype of your model, then modifying it and trying again etc etc.
For something you design and print yourself from scratch be thinking in terms of days of effort unless it is very simple.

3d printed PLA is generally not very strong or durable, certainly won't weather well if exposed to UV or the outdoors. ABS is stronger but much harder to print, needs higher bed temperatures and ideally an enclosed printer for temperature stability and slower cooling.

As long as you consider it a new hobby and not a quick fix to something, you're in the right space. (imo)
It is however quite mesmerising to watch your creation appear :giggle:. But then I used to quite enjoy watching the washing machine as a kid, not sure what that says about me :rolleyes:.

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
View attachment 762871
Prusa Mk2.5 and Fusion 360 along with help from IKEA. Bit overboard perhaps from me but completely under utilised space from the manufacturer. The white shelves in the corner would have cost an extra few cents in a van that now sells for more than 70k
View attachment 762872
Nice! Bet that lot took a while. I do however feel like you take too much stuff!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I also use fusion 360 and ideaMaker for slicing, not very often these days as the novely wore off.
Just be aware that doing anything takes AGES, I mean ages. You will spend a load of time calibrating your machine, then trying a prototype of your model, then modifying it and trying again etc etc.
For something you design and print yourself from scratch be thinking in terms of days of effort unless it is very simple.

3d printed PLA is generally not very strong or durable, certainly won't weather well if exposed to UV or the outdoors. ABS is stronger but much harder to print, needs higher bed temperatures and ideally an enclosed printer for temperature stability and slower cooling.

As long as you consider it a new hobby and not a quick fix to something, you're in the right space. (imo)
It is however quite mesmerising to watch your creation appear :giggle:. But then I used to quite enjoy watching the washing machine as a kid, not sure what that says about me :rolleyes:.
I've never needed to calibrate my Prusa MK2 beyond its internal routines. Friction fit parts are easy to pull off.

Agreed that PLA isn't great for anything external (or anything in the cab, it gets to warm). But there are lots of alternatives to ABS that are far easier to work with. PETG is nearly as easy as PLA, except for the whiskers it leaves when the head moves, which is minor.

If I'm prototyping, draft prints with thick layers and low infill are useful. I've even cropped a design in the slicer so it's only printing the difficult bit that I anticipate will take several revisions. But yes, it can take hours or even days to get large pieces right.

As a counter to that, I replaced my TV ariel with a 5G antenna a few weeks ago. The hole it left in the roof was 50mm and the new antenna only needed 30mm. What was worse was the collar that screwed up on a threaded portion on the shaft on the inside was only about 50mm, so it was spinning up against fresh air. 5 minutes measuring with the Vernier calipers (essential tool!), 10 minutes in Fusion360, and an hour of printing later, and I had a bung to fill the gap.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I made an adapter to go from an odd sized gutter drain pipe to 75mm in pla, that was 2 years ago so you might be surprised how long it can last last out in the open.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I've never needed to calibrate my Prusa MK2 beyond its internal routines. Friction fit parts are easy to pull off.

Agreed that PLA isn't great for anything external (or anything in the cab, it gets to warm). But there are lots of alternatives to ABS that are far easier to work with. PETG is nearly as easy as PLA, except for the whiskers it leaves when the head moves, which is minor.

If I'm prototyping, draft prints with thick layers and low infill are useful. I've even cropped a design in the slicer so it's only printing the difficult bit that I anticipate will take several revisions. But yes, it can take hours or even days to get large pieces right.

As a counter to that, I replaced my TV ariel with a 5G antenna a few weeks ago. The hole it left in the roof was 50mm and the new antenna only needed 30mm. What was worse was the collar that screwed up on a threaded portion on the shaft on the inside was only about 50mm, so it was spinning up against fresh air. 5 minutes measuring with the Vernier calipers (essential tool!), 10 minutes in Fusion360, and an hour of printing later, and I had a bung to fill the gap.
These are the little things that 3D printing is perfect for.

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

Interesting, I guess my printer is showing it's age. (5 years old). I always have to level the bed. I haven't tried PETG, not sure my bed would stay hot enough, should have gone for a smaller printer.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Interesting, I guess my printer is showing it's age. (5 years old). I always have to level the bed. I haven't tried PETG, not sure my bed would stay hot enough, should have gone for a smaller printer.
I'm not sure many people grasp the size issue with FDM printers. 10cm sized objects take a couple of hours to print. A 20cm object will take roughly 8 times longer and is more likely to fail, warp and more likely to have issues with calibration, etc. XL sized printers aren't really useful unless your hobby is tending to the printer.

My 2016 Prusa i3 Mk2 hasn't had a hard life. I think the rods are a bit worn and the bearings are full of dust. But it keeps soldiering away. Never adjusted it, never replaced anything. It's fire and forget. I just throw another kg of filament at it every few months. Hence why I'd skip the blingy printers and get another Prusa.

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I'm not sure many people grasp the size issue with FDM printers. 10cm sized objects take a couple of hours to print. A 20cm object will take roughly 8 times longer and is more likely to fail, warp and more likely to have issues with calibration, etc. XL sized printers aren't really useful unless your hobby is tending to the printer.

My 2016 Prusa i3 Mk2 hasn't had a hard life. I think the rods are a bit worn and the bearings are full of dust. But it keeps soldiering away. Never adjusted it, never replaced anything. It's fire and forget. I just throw another kg of filament at it every few months. Hence why I'd skip the blingy printers and get another Prusa.
Very true, mine is the creality cr-10s. Probably the most useful things I printed were mods for the printer to make it easier to adjust and quieter (after changing fans). The biggest single piece thing I ever printed with it was a 220mm long 85mm diameter camera lens hood I was messing about with to block light for astrophotography.
If I bought one now I would be very tempted by their fully enclosed smaller models.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Very true, mine is the creality cr-10s. Probably the most useful things I printed were mods for the printer to make it easier to adjust and quieter (after changing fans). The biggest single piece thing I ever printed with it was a 220mm long 85mm diameter camera lens hood I was messing about with to block light for astrophotography.
If I bought one now I would be very tempted by their fully enclosed smaller models.
That's brilliant, you buy a printer to print mods for the printer
:X3:(y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
That's a very nice printer, way out of my league.
I assume it does multi-colour printing on the fly.
Jealous. ::bigsmile:
I only have a little ender 3.
That's a very nice printer, way out of my league.
I assume it does multi-colour printing on the fly.
Jealous. ::bigsmile:
I only have a little ender 3.
Sorry to hear about your little ender, why not print yourself a bigger one?:giggle:(y)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
That's brilliant, you buy a printer to print mods for the printer
:X3:(y)
That was how some of the earliest 3D printers started.

With my Printrbot, that was the main thing it printed. Just to keep itself running. I was playing a continuous game of predicting which bit would snap or wear out next so I could print it before I needed it... which wore it out faster. As I mentioned, the printer WAS the hobby.

Jul 27, 2021
Bognor Regis, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner 690 Nexxo
Exp
Since 2017
We use Solidworks at the office. It is fairly easy to learn and I think it is probably one of the best top end CAD systems but it is quite expensive to buy and you need their yearly maintenance to keep it up to date. We use it for plastic product design and mould tool design which it really excels at.

I must get a printer for home but I don’t seem to have the time!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We use Solidworks at the office. It is fairly easy to learn and I think it is probably one of the best top end CAD systems but it is quite expensive to buy and you need their yearly maintenance to keep it up to date. We use it for plastic product design and mould tool design which it really excels at.

I must get a printer for home but I don’t seem to have the time!
One of the best purchases i have done, i never even thought i needed one till i purchased one but they can be used for such a lot of useful things. It's hard to see now how i did without one :)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
That was how some of the earliest 3D printers started.

With my Printrbot, that was the main thing it printed. Just to keep itself running. I was playing a continuous game of predicting which bit would snap or wear out next so I could print it before I needed it... which wore it out faster. As I mentioned, the printer WAS the hobby.
Sounds just like motorhomes, fix one bit and another breaks or a new super dooper thingy comes out which you must have :ROFLMAO:

May 31, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift C205
Exp
4 years
Latest 3D prints for the van.
Got a 22" Samsung TV off ebay for £30. I wanted this one specifically because it runs off 14V DC. Also got a Firestick from a car boot sale for £10. Designed and printed a box to house the 12-14V DC boost converter and a 5V USB supply for the Firestick with USB OTG for extra storage. Added holders for the remotes. Works well. Sound is not great though, so next thing will be a mount for a soundbar or bluetooth speaker.

IMG_20230605_153622520.jpg IMG_20230605_152621631.jpg IMG_20230605_153406182.jpg

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Nice job and more so saving money , on the sound bar side get a good quality one as some of the lower end ones are worse than the tv speakers. I also tried a Bluetooth pairing adapter to pair the tv sound output to the van speakers , the latency was terrible, the sound came through the speakers a second after the persons mouth moved which was unbearable to watch anything. Ok for music streaming through the tv though ( not music videos for the same reason) 😲

May 31, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift C205
Exp
4 years
Nice job and more so saving money , on the sound bar side get a good quality one as some of the lower end ones are worse than the tv speakers. I also tried a Bluetooth pairing adapter to pair the tv sound output to the van speakers , the latency was terrible, the sound came through the speakers a second after the persons mouth moved which was unbearable to watch anything. Ok for music streaming through the tv though ( not music videos for the same reason) 😲
Thanks. I've tried it with a little Sony bluetooth speaker I already have and it sounds much better. The Firestick has a setting to tune out the latency so the audio is in sync. I'll probably end up using that as I don't really want to spend any more on a soundbar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back