3D printing (1 Viewer)

May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
Hi, I'm about to push the button on a 3D printer (Bambu X1 Carbon). Does anyone else 3D print - any hints & tips?

Attachments

• bambu.jpg
    bambu.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 69
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
That's a very nice printer, way out of my league.
I assume it does multi-colour printing on the fly.
Jealous. ::bigsmile:
I only have a little ender 3.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
PaulandChrissy have been very successful with their 3D printer and have made loads of stuff for vans. I purchased a few bits and my Best Buy is definately the water filler funnel - my feet haven’t got soaked since I bought it!!!
Photo is of the lpg European adaptors holder.
8C0727FA-9426-48D1-8C89-B44B279F1BC9.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Wow that's a very professional looking bit of kit. I had an Anycubic Kobra for Christmas. Im completely new to this but I'm already very impressed with the results.

Attachments

• IMG20221229140013.jpg
    IMG20221229140013.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG20230105175520.jpg
    IMG20230105175520.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 75
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have the Prusa that makes a nice job, have printed brackets, hooks and mounting brackets for my Netgear and CCTV camera in the van.

Thought I would use it more than i have though🙁

1672941925485.jpeg

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
PaulandChrissy have been very successful with their 3D printer and have made loads of stuff for vans. I purchased a few bits and my Best Buy is definately the water filler funnel - my feet haven’t got soaked since I bought it!!!
Mine has to be the fresh water cap remover...

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I went to the Uke Jam last night, and Al, our jam leader is ‘3D printing’ capos for those who don’t have them. He brought one along last night and I was amazed!

However, I think they should change the name. I will forever link printers (3D or not) with paper!

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The re-designed catch for my fridge gets my vote. Its far stronger than the original.

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
I've got a Prusa MK3S+ which replaced the Ender 3 that I learnt on. Most of the printing I do is either functional or for my model engineering hobby.

If you want to design and print your own stuff rather than just print designs that others have done, then you will need to be able to use 3D CAD of some sort. I use OnShape and Fusion360, both of which are available free to hobbyists. A lot of the things that I design and print are quite easy to draw and print. For example this is a block that is used in my van to hold bungee cord along the front of the shelves, and which is pretty much identical to those used by Rapido, but I don't have to pay through the nose to get extras from a dealer.

Hints and tips:
  • YouTube is your friend and you can learn a lot from some of the better channels that focus on 3D printing. When I had my Ender 3, CHEP was a really good source of information. I also subscribe to Makers Muse, Teaching Tech, Aurora Tech and Thomas Sanlanderer.
  • Speed isn't everything. I find that slowing down the print speed or reducing the layer height is worth the improvement in quality for finished items.
  • Learning how to use the slicer software properly is essential.
Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 12.22.21.png

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
That is quality. Do you sell them?
I only made this one for myself, but if you need one the same let me know. We are in Spain at the moment. Back middle of March. Give me a nudge around the 15th March and I can make one for you.
Cheers PaulandChrissy
I've got a Prusa MK3S+ which replaced the Ender 3 that I learnt on. Most of the printing I do is either functional or for my model engineering hobby.

If you want to design and print your own stuff rather than just print designs that others have done, then you will need to be able to use 3D CAD of some sort. I use OnShape and Fusion360, both of which are available free to hobbyists. A lot of the things that I design and print are quite easy to draw and print. For example this is a block that is used in my van to hold bungee cord along the front of the shelves, and which is pretty much identical to those used by Rapido, but I don't have to pay through the nose to get extras from a dealer.

Hints and tips:
  • YouTube is your friend and you can learn a lot from some of the better channels that focus on 3D printing. When I had my Ender 3, CHEP was a really good source of information. I also subscribe to Makers Muse, Teaching Tech, Aurora Tech and Thomas Sanlanderer.
  • Speed isn't everything. I find that slowing down the print speed or reducing the layer height is worth the improvement in quality for finished items.
  • Learning how to use the slicer software properly is essential.
View attachment 703607

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Love the Prusa machines despite a friend of mine that bought one recently and has had nothing but agro with it right from the off. I think he has been really unlucky. Love the Prusa Slicer and the continued software improvements that other manufacturers just don’t do.
Some good tips Garratt. 👍

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I also have the Ender 3. Great bit of kit for the bargain price I paid. Tried to get to grips with Fusion360 but have managed with OpenSCad so far.

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, I'm about to push the button on a 3D printer (Bambu X1 Carbon). Does anyone else 3D print - any hints & tips?
I have the Bambu Lab X1 Carbon combo (with the AMS multi-colour unit). It's my first 3D printer so hard to compare with anything else, but I'm very impressed so far. Been printing with it since November doing all sorts of things such as lithophanes, Christmas gift boxes, etc. It is incredibly fast and I've also been very impressed with the quality too.

It's given me the opportunity for a little side hustle to repay its cost. Currently it's printing away over 19 hours a day making me some money.

May 31, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift C205
Exp
4 years
A couple of simple 3D prints for our new van. We only picked it up last weekend and there are already a few things that annoy me. The first two are some different clips to hold the awning crank in the garage. The supplied Fiamma clips were so tight it was very difficult to get the winder in and out of them, this was probably why they'd never been fitted. I designed a slightly different clip in Onshape which is much easier to use yet still secure and also has a larger surface area for the double-sided "nano" tape to fix it in place. If you haven't heard of this tape, it's like magic. It sticks like sh*t yet can still be peeled off and leaves no residue. It works on the same principle as gecko's feet apparently.
The other print is a guard for the touch buttons on the Dometic fridge. Every time we went past it and brushed against the buttons, it would make unwanted changes to the fridge mode. Now we can brush past it without inadvertently triggering it and the buttons are still accessible when necessary.

IMG_20230601_133052465_HDR.jpg IMG_20230601_133714685.jpg IMG_20230601_134020365.jpg

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
A couple of simple 3D prints for our new van. We only picked it up last weekend and there are already a few things that annoy me. The first two are some different clips to hold the awning crank in the garage. The supplied Fiamma clips were so tight it was very difficult to get the winder in and out of them, this was probably why they'd never been fitted. I designed a slightly different clip in Onshape which is much easier to use yet still secure and also has a larger surface area for the double-sided "nano" tape to fix it in place. If you haven't heard of this tape, it's like magic. It sticks like sh*t yet can still be peeled off and leaves no residue. It works on the same principle as gecko's feet apparently.
The other print is a guard for the touch buttons on the Dometic fridge. Every time we went past it and brushed against the buttons, it would make unwanted changes to the fridge mode. Now we can brush past it without inadvertently triggering it and the buttons are still accessible when necessary.

View attachment 762613 View attachment 762614 View attachment 762615
I like the fridge display guard. Same happens to us. Will definitely be making myself one of those. Excellent idea. PaulandChrissy 👍

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
You've given me an idea to print a better catch to hold the hand door open!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I started with a Printrbot that was plywood and used fishing line over a Dremel sanding drum for actuation because toothed belts were still stupidly expensive at the time. The hobby was fixing the machine. Because it was very rare that you'd get a print out of it.

I upgraded to the Prusa i3 Mk2 when it came out. It's not particularly quick and it's noisy. But it's bloody reliable. I can point to about 20 things I've designed and printed in the van. Loads more practical things I've made around the house. I might finally get around to upgrading it this year. Maybe a Prusa MK4?

If you want to make practical things, you really need to know CAD. I've tried quite a few of them. OpenSCAD is fun if you like code. But most of the time I fire up Fusion360. I need to try OnShape at some point.

Something I've learnt: if you're making a replacement part, don't copy it precisely. Anything metal or made of moulded plastic will have been designed to work with that material. FDM printing has different limitations... Mostly that it's weaker along the layers and overhangs are hard.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
How easy is it to do the designs? Presumably some sort of cad programme?

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I started with a Printrbot that was plywood and used fishing line over a Dremel sanding drum for actuation because toothed belts were still stupidly expensive at the time. The hobby was fixing the machine. Because it was very rare that you'd get a print out of it.

I upgraded to the Prusa i3 Mk2 when it came out. It's not particularly quick and it's noisy. But it's bloody reliable. I can point to about 20 things I've designed and printed in the van. Loads more practical things I've made around the house. I might finally get around to upgrading it this year. Maybe a Prusa MK4?

If you want to make practical things, you really need to know CAD. I've tried quite a few of them. OpenSCAD is fun if you like code. But most of the time I fire up Fusion360. I need to try OnShape at some point.

Something I've learnt: if you're making a replacement part, don't copy it precisely. Anything metal or made of moulded plastic will have been designed to work with that material. FDM printing has different limitations... Mostly that it's weaker along the layers and overhangs are hard.
Good advice about designing and the limitations on strength. I’ve just ordered a MK4. Should have it in 5weeks hopefully. My MK3 and Mini+ have been so reliable with minimal maintenance. Occasional hot end rebuilds and that’s it.👍

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I'm currently learning to use fusion 360. It's not easy if you don't use it regularly, there are sooooo many things to remember.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you don’t know CAD it’s a steep learning curve, but there’s tons of help on U tube to get you started.
I gave up didn't have the time, wish my daughter lived nearer her hubby teaches Fusion 360 at school but they live in Bangkok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back