LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Just to add to all the good advice, I use Tinkercad as well. I have the had two of the cheaper Flashforge printers, which work for me, doing things up to about a 150cm square, They seem quite good for beginners like me. I also download designs from Thingiverse and similar and then modify them.

I've used to knock out a lot of 'useful' things, feet for garden chairs, garden gnomes (don't ask!), cases for Raspberry Pis, and step ladder ends for my old Hymer (which I put for everyone to use on one of the Facebook pages).

Great fun, probably not cost effective - but that is not the point is it?!

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Not cost effect? Probably not for things you can go out and buy. My shower screen roller block was only a small thing but if I hadn't made another one it could have meant a new shower! (that's what I tell SWMBO anyway!!).
And yes, great fun.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Any one in to 3D printing ?
I keep coming up with things I could do with ( mods, design changes something entirely new ) and THINK I might benefit from owning a 3D printer
Not overly worried about the printer its self or the mechanics of using one, but what I am concerned with is how easy or hard the software involved in making parts is.
As far as I can gather the software is essentially in three parts
CAD
CAD to slicer
Slicer

As a total beginner is there a CAD program that is reasonable easy to use ? I admit that I am proly gonna get totally baffled ( esp as some of the intended parts are quite complex )

Once past the CAD I can proly work the rest out

Oh.. After a bit of research I have discovered that the prefered processor for the machine is still 8bit.
32 bit are getting common place but the consensus seems to be they can be glitchy
With that in mind, I have an old 486 or P1 PC in the loft..
Thoughts on what PC to use would be useful ( I do not want to tie up the main machine for long periods )

I have a 3D printer and it is brilliant. It's a Balco Aldi special and runs from a memory chip rather than direct from the laptop - not an issue for me as I use the memory chip in the printer and can still work on the laptop whist the printer does it's own thing.

I use SketchUp Make for the design and save it as an stl file (free download add on to the basic free program). There are also add ons to check the file for compatability for the slicing program. My laptop is Win10 bought earlier this year.

The slicing program (I use CURA) came with the printer and is really easy to use but can be upgraded if you need to do this - I don't as I am very much of the KISS principle. You just take the stl file and load it into CURA. Save the CURA fie and the machine reads that file so it knows where the extruder needs to be (XYZ) and how much material to extrude at that point.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 16.28.53.png

You asked for a picture: Here is the Hymer Step end cap - unobtainable these days. Works for the outside roof or inside bed ladder. You have to be careful to choose the right material, PLA (the common one) is not very Ultra Violet stable for outside use. Generally the more expensive printers can handle ABS or Nylon .... (If anybody wants the file let me know by PM).
Cheers

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I bought an Ender 3 over the summer. I've just finished printing a pendulum clock which took several dozen hours to print (3D printing is not quick!).

That sounds like a good project!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I have a 3D printer and it is brilliant. It's a Balco Aldi special and runs from a memory chip rather than direct from the laptop - not an issue for me as I use the memory chip in the printer and can still work on the laptop whist the printer does it's own thing.

I use SketchUp Make for the design and save it as an stl file (free download add on to the basic free program). There are also add ons to check the file for compatability for the slicing program. My laptop is Win10 bought earlier this year.

The slicing program (I use CURA) came with the printer and is really easy to use but can be upgraded if you need to do this - I don't as I am very much of the KISS principle. You just take the stl file and load it into CURA. Save the CURA fie and the machine reads that file so it knows where the extruder needs to be (XYZ) and how much material to extrude at that point.

Can you translate that into English please ? :giggle:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Can you translate that into English please ? :giggle:

If you use a word processor (eg WORD - other word processors are available) and then print out your document you don't tell the print head where to go on it's rail - your printer app handles all that for you in the background ....... 3D printing is similar, the design program (in my case SketchUp) is like your word processor and the slicing program (in my case CURA) is similar to the printer app (say HP or Canon). It's not as automatic as 2D printing as a 3D printer has more settings for different materials and qualities - a bit like if you ask your 2D printer to print in colour or black and white. best quality or fast draft rather than just pressing the print button.

SketchUp is the design / drawing program and what you draw has to be saved as a specific type of file (stl) so the 3D printing program (CURA) can read your drawing. It would be a bit like saving a document to a pdf file rather than a native WORD file. It sounds far more complex than it is .........

There are several repositories when makers / designers have uploaded models and you can download an stl file that just has to be put through the slicing program before it is printed out. Again like downloading a "locked" pdf file that can't be edited and then printing it. Changing stl files back into design files is usually less than successful so reverse engineering from an stl file is not for the faint hearted.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I use the wide blue painters' tape on the heated print bed so it is easier to remove the prints.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Never realised how many different types of filament there is PD, not just colours and plastic types but ones with wood or metal in them so they look like those materials.
I bought a reel of Amazon Basic's black filament but not too happy with it, doesn't do small holes to well got a reel of "Eryone" gold coloured coming so I will see if that's any different, wifey wants some xmas decs. ::bigsmile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Filaments come in different quality and prices and high price doesn't always mean good quality. I used to get my filament from Rigid Ink but they have gone out of business :( The last lot I got was SunLu but read the reviews as there have been some fakes around.

You may need to adjust your settings in the slicing program to do fine work. CURA has several settings - I tend to use one of five from super fast (very rough and not that fast) to extra fine.

I nearly always use PLA. I've had poor results from the wood type filaments and the metal filaments will wear the printer nozzle quite quickly. I made a right mess with ABS (best to use an fume extraction system with that) !!!!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Mum has asked me what to buy me for my xmas, I quite fancy a 3d printer, no idea what id want to print though, and this thread seems 3D printing is a minefield for the total newbie.

Jaws have you bought one now ? olley have you used yours yet? Whats its limitations. I'm thinking a kit might be a good way for me to go.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
irnbru I bought an Ender 3 £150 I think but I have seen them cheaper, loads of stuff on thingverse and other sites to download and loads of vids on youtube on the Ender 3. They do a slightly bigger model with a bigger plate but so far I have not found the need.
Many vids on youtube for improvements you can make to the Ender if thats what you like doing, as its a very popular machine and its been out for a few years. Been attempting to learn fusion 360 which is a free but very good 3D design program, again plenty of vids of using it and I have made one or two items. An easier option is Tinkercad again free to use.

Made some xmas decs, small xmas trees, two simons cats models, a pair of totally useless pliers but shows what they can make in one go, some cable trays for the machine to tidy the wiring and some other bits. Wife wants some personalised hearts for the family so I have been designing them in fusion.

Unless you have a specific use for one its really a toy to have fun with, although for me learning new programs has been a real brain workout, which has been frustrating but very rewarding when you finally design in two days what Brad Tallis has done in a 1 hour fusion 360 lesson on youtube. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• simons cat.jpg
    simons cat.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Xmas Tree.jpg
    Xmas Tree.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 33
  • cable tray.jpg
    cable tray.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Pliers.jpg
    Pliers.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
very rewarding when you finally design in two days what Brad Tallis has done in a 1 hour fusion 360 lesson on youtube. ::bigsmile:
I love his videos! He is a very good instructor. I watch the video on YouTube, and try and keep up with him on Fusion 360. Lots of pausing and replaying it. So far I'm up to #9 out of over 70. So that another 60+ hours of entertainment! :giggle:

Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Fusion 360 is relatively easy to use on simple stuff and great fun. Here's a really useful Remis blind clip! I made them on my Prusa i3Mk3 printer.

blind clip.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back